Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Nov 2, 2020 at 7:34 PM Post #3,571 of 4,801
Nope using the B pads but looking to get dekoni soon as an immediate upgrade
The reason I ask is that when you EQ, use tubes, or any other form of audio modification on the source, you put all the work on the driver. When you boost one side of the FR curve, it affects the nearby freqs, and limits what adjustments you can do in other areas. So, this EQ adjusts the mids and treble by no more than +2.5dB, while not touching bass or subbass. It's intended to adjust the tuning of the Dekoni Hybrids to be a closer match to the stock A pads, while letting the Hybrids passively boost the lows by +6-8dB. The net effect is stunning: you get bass like a closed back, no clipping due to over-boosting the lows, an intimate mids without being shouty, and the sparkle and air of the treble, without the treble spike in 8KHz. It's just wonderful.

I have 2 people who have purchased the Hybrids and did my setup, in fact one bought my whole setup, and they were just floored.

You mentioned you ordered some Dekoni. If you get Hybrids, I'll be happy to share, and look forward to your feedback.

Nov 2, 2020 at 11:44 PM Post #3,572 of 4,801
The reason I ask is that when you EQ, use tubes, or any other form of audio modification on the source, you put all the work on the driver. When you boost one side of the FR curve, it affects the nearby freqs, and limits what adjustments you can do in other areas. So, this EQ adjusts the mids and treble by no more than +2.5dB, while not touching bass or subbass. It's intended to adjust the tuning of the Dekoni Hybrids to be a closer match to the stock A pads, while letting the Hybrids passively boost the lows by +6-8dB. The net effect is stunning: you get bass like a closed back, no clipping due to over-boosting the lows, an intimate mids without being shouty, and the sparkle and air of the treble, without the treble spike in 8KHz. It's just wonderful.

I have 2 people who have purchased the Hybrids and did my setup, in fact one bought my whole setup, and they were just floored.

You mentioned you ordered some Dekoni. If you get Hybrids, I'll be happy to share, and look forward to your feedback.

While I have yet to attempt any EQing, absolutely loving my DT 1990s with the Dekoni Elite Hybrids mounted on them. Last night. I spent some time comparing the sound quality of the 1990 with the A pads, the Dekoni Elite Velours and then back to the Dekoni Elite Hybrids. All with no EQ yet but can't imagine being more thrilled. Must be ultra amazing. Right now, streaming thru Qobuz and Audirvana, I'm listening to trumpeter Till Bronner's 2018 album "Nightfall". Joining Bronner is double bass player Dieter lig. Virtuoso musicians both, the album's audio quality, using the DT1990 with the Dekoni Elite Hybrids to listen is superb! Especially love the song "Scream and Shout"! Throughout the album the bass to me sounds equally as good, if not better, than the low end on my previous closed back Beyer DT 1770. Bronner's trumpet is never overshadowed by the thrillingly natural sounding bass. A definite streaming recommendation to pursue, as with this equipment combo, for me it's truly jaw dropping! With your EQ must be magic! Using the JDS Labs El AMP II and El DAC II.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2020 at 1:43 AM Post #3,573 of 4,801
Wow sounds amazing. You mind sharing the EQ with us as well? Would love to try it out also!
I do have an EQ profile for the DT1990 with A pads because that's what I use daily. If you're interested, let me know and I can send them to you (I use Equalizer APO). Do note this will make the DT1990 sound likely warmer on the immediate go - you might have to crank the volume louder and let your ears adjust for a minute or two to get the more neutral tuning.

Nov 3, 2020 at 1:38 PM Post #3,575 of 4,801
I took the charts for the Dekoni Hybrids, and the stock B and A pads, and I EQ'd the Hybrids to be more in line with teh A pad response for mids and treble, but without undoing the treble taming the Hybrids do. Gives me an intimacy that will rival any Sennheiser HD6 series, but the soundstage and big bass response of the DT-1990 is capable of.

For simplicity sake I'm not terribly big on EQ. I listen at my work desk while using my work computer, which I can't put an EQ program on. From my bass guitar tone (former musician) to car stereo to home stereo though I've always been a set-and-forget type of guy who looks to keep the signal chain short and pure.

Honestly though the previously-unthinkable has happened... my 1990s have been supplanted as my daily driver by my HE-500s. There's no contest with respect to portability but the 500s just have an extra 'it factor' in the mids. I still love the 1990s but just always find myself reaching for the 500s.

Nov 3, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #3,576 of 4,801
Nov 5, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #3,578 of 4,801
Got my Topping E30 & L30 stack today. My AE-7 sound card has been left in the dust! The sound is cleaner, bass tighter, mids and highs are more present and level of detail is a big improvement. Absolutely no regrets whatsoever (was on the fence for quite some time).

Massive thanks to @Chastity for all the advice along the way (pads, dac and amp). Highly recommend the Voskhod EQ.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #3,579 of 4,801
Got my Topping E30 & L30 stack today. My AE-7 sound card has been left in the dust! The sound is cleaner, bass tighter, mids and highs are more present and level of detail is a big improvement. Absolutely no regrets whatsoever (was on the fence for quite some time).

Massive thanks to @Chastity for all the advice along the way (pads, dac and amp). Highly recommend the Voskhod EQ.
FYI, I added a 2nd EQ which has +3.1dB bump instead of the 2.5dB of teh other one. I find it restores some mids impact and adds a little more air in the treble. Originally designed for the more rolled off Voshkod tubes I have.

Nov 5, 2020 at 3:00 PM Post #3,580 of 4,801
a few months ago I talked about my discovery of the new kind of foam disc Beyer uses for their newer headphones like the Tygr 300 r, Amiron wireless, T1.3, T5.3

I ordered these foam disc to give them a try
20201105_203140.jpg
20201105_203136.jpg

That's how they look build into the DT 1990

DT 1990 foam Disc.jpg

That's how they sound exactly like you would imagine seeing this graph

Blue line with the new foam disc
Red line stock foam disc

more bass and impact
less treble and air

tested with balanced pads

if there is interest to see the diffrence with A pads or Elite velour i could do this as well

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #3,581 of 4,801
a few months ago I talked about my discovery of the new kind of foam disc Beyer uses for their newer headphones like the Tygr 300 r, Amiron wireless, T1.3, T5.3

I ordered these foam disc to give them a try

That's how they look build into the DT 1990

That's how they sound exactly like you would imagine seeing this graph

Blue line with the new foam disc
Red line stock foam disc

more bass and impact
less treble and air

tested with balanced pads

if there is interest to see the diffrence with A pads or Elite velour i could do this as well

That's really interesting - thanks for posting! Since you offered I'd love to see a measurement with the A-pads; I bet the effect is similar. I find myself preferring the A pads over the balanced but if it creates a happy medium then it would seem a very quick and easy way to 'transform' the sound signature if you can pop them in and out without removing the whole pad.

Most important thing for me is that I don't see any major hits in the midrange. Slight decrease in the upper mids/lower treble but that's narrow and I've never minded a bit of 'BBC Dip' so to speak.

Nov 5, 2020 at 3:23 PM Post #3,583 of 4,801
Can I ask. Where can I get some of those foam discs in the US?
Directly from beyer dynamic they don´t have listed them in their spare parts shop

20201105_212236.jpg

Ask them for this part number

Nov 5, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #3,585 of 4,801

Users who are viewing this thread

Back