Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Sep 5, 2020 at 4:35 PM Post #3,437 of 4,782
Hi, question about pads. I'm looking to get the Dekoni leather pads, but was wondering if anyone can tell me what type of sound signature leather pads will change the Dt1990 to? I don't want to lose out on the bass and low end.

I sweat a lot in the studio and sometimes the velour pads are soaking wet after long sessions. I'm looking at leather pads so it will be easier to clean and wipe once finished. The velour pads are a hassle to constantly take off to clean.

If anyone can help, please.
Of the sheepskins, the fenestrated ones are the closest to stock signature. The full sheepskins deviate a lot.

Sep 6, 2020 at 7:22 PM Post #3,438 of 4,782
I found that the hd25 is very close to the 1990 sound signature. I'd say 80% similar. They got somewhat same spirit.

Can anyone else vouch for this similarity? I'm on the verge of buying a pair of 1990s but some peoples' complaints about the 1990's brightness are giving me pause. I haven't used any non-IEM headphones other than my HD25-1 II for over a decade now so I don't have any other point of reference to try and get a better idea of how the 1990 sounds.

Sep 7, 2020 at 3:51 AM Post #3,439 of 4,782
I have both HD-25-1 II and the DT1990 and yes, I would agree, the sound is "kind of" similar. The DT1990 does go a bit deeper with more pronounced textured bass while at the same time offering more detail, instrument separation and soundstage. Hm, I just made it sound like a completely different phone, but ... for me, it's just "more of everything" :)
No brightness complaints for me, at least for the B-pads. The A-pads.... are also fine, but are less warm, of course.

Sep 8, 2020 at 9:48 AM Post #3,440 of 4,782
Hi guys, a while ago I bought a pair of defective DT1990 drivers, hoping that I could revive and transplant them into a DT990. However, what I found was that both of the super thin wires that lead to the driver's coil are soldered onto the same solder pad, which obviously won't allow the drivers to work.
Could someone who has experience with these drivers shed some light onto the whole thing?
How could a manufacturing mistake like that happen?
It it supposed to be like that and I'm just missing something?
Is there a way to fix it? (I have experience with soldering and access to a fine soldering tip, however, working on these super thin wires is a nightmare!)
UFHrMD7.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2020 at 10:41 AM Post #3,441 of 4,782
So I made the decision to keep the 1990's. Have more than enough headphones, but couldn't let them go. I have burned them in for a while and surprisingly the hot treble has disappeared from most listening on most tracks. Still has emphasized Treble which I believe is a Beyerdynamic sound signature. The 1990's are my first Beyer so can't confirm. My ears have adjusted as well surprisingly. Great set of cans and happy to have them in my collection. No headphone is perfect some closer than others. Different tool for the job. I picked up a cheaper cable on amazon which seems fine sound wise. The coil cable was heavy and felt like it was pulling down my head.

Sep 8, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #3,442 of 4,782
Hi guys, a while ago I bought a pair of defective DT1990 drivers, hoping that I could revive and transplant them into a DT990. However, what I found was that both of the super thin wires that lead to the driver's coil are soldered onto the same solder pad, which obviously won't allow the drivers to work.
Could someone who has experience with these drivers shed some light onto the whole thing?
How could a manufacturing mistake like that happen?
It it supposed to be like that and I'm just missing something?
Is there a way to fix it? (I have experience with soldering and access to a fine soldering tip, however, working on these super thin wires is a nightmare!)
UFHrMD7.jpg

Maybe ask the guy from custom cans who postet a tutorial a few post above directly he smeems pretty knowledgeable and he also talked about this thin wires

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #3,444 of 4,782
G'day everyone,

I have got the Sundara for quite some time. They are good cans. Here's the thing: People tends to praise them for being the most detailed headphones in under $500 range, but I don't find them detailed at all. Their treble is messy, with unorthodox resonances in 5k-9khz range which cause piercing sound and even tinnitus to my ears at times. Combined with a bright tilt, it is even worse that it gives me the thought that their famous details are actually resonances. Not sure if I lost the lottery with Hifiman's infamous QC though. I am not a high-sensitive person by any means, I can deal with K712 sharpness perfectly fine. Dt990 is a bit too much though.

So enough with the Sundara's issue. I am thinking of selling them and get another headphones which can give me the real details in high region and I am leaning towards DT1990 after watching some reviews. Another options would be used HD800 but I am not really inclined to mod them.So if anyone here has experience with both of them please kindly give me a brief comparison, just about the high details are fine, further would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! Cheers.

Sep 11, 2020 at 11:57 AM Post #3,445 of 4,782
G'day everyone,

I have got the Sundara for quite some time. They are good cans. Here's the thing: People tends to praise them for being the most detailed headphones in under $500 range, but I don't find them detailed at all. Their treble is messy, with unorthodox resonances in 5k-9khz range which cause piercing sound and even tinnitus to my ears at times. Combined with a bright tilt, it is even worse that it gives me the thought that their famous details are actually resonances. Not sure if I lost the lottery with Hifiman's infamous QC though. I am not a high-sensitive person by any means, I can deal with K712 sharpness perfectly fine. Dt990 is a bit too much though.

So enough with the Sundara's issue. I am thinking of selling them and get another headphones which can give me the real details in high region and I am leaning towards DT1990 after watching some reviews. Another options would be used HD800 but I am not really inclined to mod them.So if anyone here has experience with both of them please kindly give me a brief comparison, just about the high details are fine, further would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! Cheers.

Just picked up a pair and arrived 3 hours ago.. the resolution and detail is amazing! i also have HD6XX (hd650), changing to analytical pads on the 1990 pros calm the highs and reduce the bottom punch slightly.. very impressed so far. Just hope they will get better with time

Sep 11, 2020 at 12:18 PM Post #3,446 of 4,782
G'day everyone,

The DT 1990 while it does have elevated upper treble does have real detail. I've heard a lot of mixed impressions about the Sundara, never heard the Sundara but sounds like my experience with Hifiman headphones sound wise. The DT 1990 treble isn't as sharp as the DT 990 and has a different presentation, Tesla Beyers sound a bit different. I think the DT 1990 may be what you're looking for. Hopefully someone can give you a proper comparison of the two. Don't have the DT 1990 anymore as I went with the T1.2 and recently the T1.3.

Sep 11, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #3,447 of 4,782
hello can someone recommend some alternative pads for the analytical setting? prefer the analytical to the B pads. Find the B pads too bright. however if there is a pad which keeps the the bass of the B pads but tames the highs, please let me know.

Many thanks

Sep 11, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #3,448 of 4,782
hello can someone recommend some alternative pads for the analytical setting? prefer the analytical to the B pads. Find the B pads too bright. however if there is a pad which keeps the the bass of the B pads but tames the highs, please let me know.

Many thanks
dekoni elite velour ?

Sep 11, 2020 at 5:01 PM Post #3,450 of 4,782
do they maintain the sound signature?
thanks
yes nearly

DT1990-ElVr-1024x555.png

you can see it has a bit more bass then the a pad but the mids are i bit more recessed also -2 db on the peak

they are more comfortable for me and your ear sits a bit further away they are the most popular upgrade pads for the dt 1990.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back