Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Aug 31, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #3,421 of 4,790
Hey guys has anyone got the dekoni earpads? How are they? I keep hearing nothing but good news and thinking about buying them - currently i am using the analytical ear pads on my DT's.
Not everyone likes them, do a search on this thread for confirmation.. I have the Elite Velour and find they slow transients and increase sibilance, both of which are serious downsides that swamp any improvements. Analytical pads for me.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #3,422 of 4,790
Not everyone likes them, do a search on this thread for confirmation.. I have the Elite Velour and find they slow transients and increase sibilance, both of which are serious downsides that swamp any improvements. Analytical pads for me.
Increase sibilance?! Not according to my ears. I have the Elite Velours and Hybrids. I also have the Brainwavz Hybrids, and I won't be buying Brainwavz pads ever again. Just to note, ZMF pads can work as well, and are $50.

I also got an alert that hhgregg.com has the DT-1990 Pro at $479.99 (via newegg)

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2020 at 12:04 PM Post #3,423 of 4,790
Increase sibilance?! Not according to my ears.
Yes, but not compared to the Balanced pads, which also increase sibilance. Compared to the Analytical pads, Elite Velour increases sibilance. Others have reported the same thing, so it's not just my ears or system. However the slowing of transients with EV pads bothers me even more.

Aug 31, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #3,424 of 4,790
Yes, but not compared to the Balanced pads, which also increase sibilance. Compared to the Analytical pads, Elite Velour increases sibilance. Others have reported the same thing, so it's not just my ears or system. However the slowing of transients with EV pads bothers me even more.
For me analytical pads create sibilance. Elite velour smooth things out because my ear sits further away and that also increases the stage and the bass

Sep 1, 2020 at 10:30 AM Post #3,425 of 4,790
I prefer A to B pads, so any comparison I make will be A pad to Dekoni.

Sep 3, 2020 at 11:01 PM Post #3,426 of 4,790
Last month a fellow on Reddit PM'd me to let me know that he's been following my antics for awhile, and decided to upgrade his whole headphone setup, and decided to clone my existing setup. All of it. The DAC, amp, tube preamp, the tubes, the DT-1990, the Dekoni pads.... all $1400 of it. He contacted me today to let me know that everything arrived yesterday, and to say he's stoked is an understatement:

"Hey Chastity!

So I got everything in and set up right and man, this is insane. I feel like I've been missing out on a lot. Music sounds different, playing games feels like it's cheating sometimes with the audio cues, and movies, I get even more immersed than before. I love it all. I feel like I can't go back and ruined everything without this kind of setup. Is that normal? lol"

...and a few questions about tubes and setup, the EQ knobs on his preamp (he bought the FX Audio TUBE-03, which have bass/treble knobs) and wanted my EQ settings in EQ APO.

Glad he likes it, because I'd feel bad he spent $1400 because of me. :beyersmile:

Sep 4, 2020 at 6:10 AM Post #3,427 of 4,790
Hi, on another forum I saw this statement regarding Beyerdynamic amplifiers:
"The beyerdynamic amps will make the beyer-headphones sound better, because they have an 80 or 100 ohm output impedance. This will soften the "beyer peak" and make the headphones sound warmer."
Can anyone confirm this? So, in other words, is the Beyer DT series designed to be driven by an 80 or 100 ohm output impedance amplifier to sound best?

Edit: I've looked around a bit and found an old interview with Jan Meier from Meier Audio (Corda-series of headphone amps). At that time, his headamps had a 120ohm and a near0-ohm connection, explicitly stating that his Beyerdynamic headphone (I think it was a DT880) sounded better from the 120ohm output.
There used to be an adapter cable with a serial 120 or 100ohm resistance to emulate this from Oehlbach, but they do not manufacture it anymore...
Maybe this is something worth checking out?

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2020 at 8:52 AM Post #3,428 of 4,790
Hi, on another forum I saw this statement regarding Beyerdynamic amplifiers:
"The beyerdynamic amps will make the beyer-headphones sound better, because they have an 80 or 100 ohm output impedance. This will soften the "beyer peak" and make the headphones sound warmer."
Can anyone confirm this? So, in other words, is the Beyer DT series designed to be driven by an 80 or 100 ohm output impedance amplifier to sound best?

Edit: I've looked around a bit and found an old interview with Jan Meier from Meier Audio (Corda-series of headphone amps). At that time, his headamps had a 120ohm and a near0-ohm connection, explicitly stating that his Beyerdynamic headphone (I think it was a DT880) sounded better from the 120ohm output.
There used to be an adapter cable with a serial 120 or 100ohm resistance to emulate this from Oehlbach, but they do not manufacture it anymore...
Maybe this is something worth checking out?

I can't comment on the Beyer amps directly but my Emotiva A-100 has a 220-ohm output impedance and it's a fantastic pairing with my A-pad 1990s. Adds a bit of roundness to the sound, largely through the bass and midbass, and the treble is a touch softer. I have a THX 789 that I've done many direct comparisons with to arrive at this conclusion.

That said, while I slightly prefer the sound with the A-100 I do enjoy the surgical precision produced by the 1990/THX 789 pairing. Better or not will be up to you.

Sep 4, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #3,429 of 4,790
I had a Bottlehead Crack in-house for a couple of weeks (OTL, 120-ohm output). At the time I was using an Asgard 2 with my DT 1990 (single-ended MOSFET, 2-ohm output). I agree with KCXT, personal preference will determine which amp you would like better. The Crack did smooth the highs a little bit, at the cost of a slightly looser bass and mids. I preferred the Asgard with the DT 1990 due to the faster transient performance. I now use a Hafler HA15 with the DT 1990, which again is a faster, cleaner amp than the Asgard 2.

Sep 4, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #3,430 of 4,790
Article number is 934208

You have to mail
spareparts@beyerdynamic.de

tell them your adress and the articel number

Im not sure if they come in pairs or single. I just ordered 4

Price is 2.10 euro without tax

Thanks for the info! I just emailed beyer. I hope it helps with the treble.

Does anyone have any measurements of tygr or some other beyer with that fleece piece?

I'm very skeptical with beyer actually taming the treble peak. There is a pattern with this...has been for over ten years.

Beyerdynamic: "we fixed the treble on our new headphones!"

First user impressions/reviews: "OMG, they completely got rid of the treble peak!!"

Long term user impressions/measurements: "That treble is bad as ever, or worse "

I just bought dt1990 for the second time. I really want to like these. I have not yet received My elite velours but hopefully those combined with that tygr cover piece would do the trick.

Edith: Btw both headphones use the same Tesla drivers. In fact it is the same drivers driving the T1, T5, T70, T90, Amiron Home, DT1990 as well as the DT1770:)
Did you mean they use same magnets? Drivers as a whole are different. T70 and T90 might have same drivers. Amiron, dt1990 and dt1770 supposedly share a driver. New T1 and T5 might actually have a same driver now but on gen1 and gen2 it was of course different (600ohm vs 32ohm) So that makes three different drivers (four if T1 and T5 have different drivers).

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #3,431 of 4,790
Thanks for the info! I just emailed beyer. I hope it helps with the treble.

Does anyone have any measurements of tygr or some other beyer with that fleece piece?

I'm very skeptical with beyer actually taming the treble peak. There is a pattern with this...has been for over ten years.

Beyerdynamic: "we fixed the treble on our new headphones!"

First user impressions/reviews: "OMG, they completely got rid of the treble peak!!"

Long term user impressions/measurements: "That treble is bad as ever, or worse "

I just bought dt1990 for the second time. I really want to like these. I have not yet received My elite velours but hopefully those combined with that tygr cover piece would do the trick.

Did you mean they use same magnets? Drivers as a whole are different. T70 and T90 might have same drivers. Amiron, dt1990 and dt1770 supposedly share a driver. New T1 and T5 might actually have a same driver now but on gen1 and gen2 it was of course different (600ohm vs 32ohm) So that makes three different drivers (four if T1 and T5 have different drivers).
I actualy ordered a iec 711 to measure the diffrence but its somewhere in transit since a month

I still did not use the new fleece

Sep 5, 2020 at 9:24 AM Post #3,433 of 4,790
Hi, question about pads. I'm looking to get the Dekoni leather pads, but was wondering if anyone can tell me what type of sound signature leather pads will change the Dt1990 to? I don't want to lose out on the bass and low end.

I sweat a lot in the studio and sometimes the velour pads are soaking wet after long sessions. I'm looking at leather pads so it will be easier to clean and wipe once finished. The velour pads are a hassle to constantly take off to clean.

If anyone can help, please.

Sep 5, 2020 at 9:36 AM Post #3,434 of 4,790
I just made a video showing how to convert these to balanced, it shows how to disassemble them if you need to change any parts - may be handy for some of you

Next month we are planning on some more in-depth mods and will try to flatten out the trebel peak on them.

Thanks hey where did you got this measurment stand on your profil picture ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back