Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Aug 10, 2020 at 5:26 PM Post #3,376 of 4,785
Dream cans Empyreans :)

Definitely agree. Overall DT 1990 is great with all of it's accessories and build quality. Headphone for life. I love Beyers. Ordered DT 1770 for a closed back and waiting for it. Still think $600 is too much. These are around 330-360EUR without tax in EU.

I think most headphones are overpriced, but as forum users we are suckers for the experience. It's what keeps the hobby alive and fun. Getting new gear in the search for a better or specific sound stimulates the market and takes money out of our bank account. I mean look at how much speaker you can get vs an expensive headphone. Even a speaker is overpriced IMHO since its just a speaker and wood, but at least there appears to be more material costs.

Back on topic - I am still rocking the A pads. Holding my opinion until I make a decision which I like better. So far B pad are still my choice due to the highs. Don't want to change those pads \more than a couple times and be done. I am using these for fun right now with the option of possible studio work later.

Aug 10, 2020 at 5:59 PM Post #3,377 of 4,785
Treble is really flawed here. No way around it. Most people use it with eq, different pads or tube amps to tame it. DT 1990 have an impressive, fun and exciting sound but it's unsustainable fun.

DT 1990 is great headphone especially in EU but it's expensive in US and US have Elex and Ananda at $700. You get much more if you spend $100 more. $600 is too much for 1990 imo. It should be $450. It can fight with $350 Sundara.

If your listening sessions are short DT 1990 is excellent. If you are bound to your headphone all day... big no. Haven't listen T1.2 but if it has the same dynamics/punch with more relaxed sound/soundstage it should be really good.

Honestly I find the T1.2 and Amiron Home are headphones more suited for very long listening sessions than the DT 1990. The DT 1990 is very enjoyable though but I ended up with the Amiron Home in the long run as I found it better for me as I tend to have very long listening sessions. But I do miss the DT 1990 as I always found it's sound energizing and engaging. The T1.2 replaced the Amiron Home for me. The T1.2 is more relaxed than the DT 1990, it's more refined and is a bit more cohesive but it's a rather warm and laid-back headphone with a bit of upper treble energy and doesn't have the dynamic liveliness of the DT 1990 even though it is capable of even better dynamics when pushed. Don't expect an DT 1990 upgrade from the T1.2, it's a different animal.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2020 at 8:29 PM Post #3,379 of 4,785
The DT 1990 is very enjoyable though but I ended up with the Amiron Home in the long run as I found it better for me as I tend to have very long listening sessions. But I do miss the DT 1990 as I always found it's sound energizing and engaging.
Exactly!

Honestly I find the T1.2 and Amiron Home are headphones more suited for very long listening sessions than the DT 1990. The DT 1990 is very enjoyable though but I ended up with the Amiron Home in the long run as I found it better for me as I tend to have very long listening sessions. But I do miss the DT 1990 as I always found it's sound energizing and engaging. The T1.2 replaced the Amiron Home for me. The T1.2 is more relaxed than the DT 1990, it's more refined and is a bit more cohesive but it's a rather warm and laid-back headphone with a bit of upper treble energy and doesn't have the dynamic liveliness of the DT 1990 even though it is capable of even better dynamics when pushed. Don't expect an DT 1990 upgrade from the T1.2, it's a different animal.
I will definitely check out T1.3 when it releases. My biggest concern is the loss of dynamism, speed, slam compared to 1990. I'm fine with laidback mids. It also helps with the soundstage, drivers are angled too. I feel like i'm really gonna like T1. I don't know how correct this is: http://reference-audio-analyzer.pro...&m108=108&m129=129&m147=147&m239=239&m253=253 but tonality looks fine compared to Clear. Measurement results all over the place though. Most people really trashing T1's.

Aug 11, 2020 at 12:11 AM Post #3,381 of 4,785
You just killed the T1 for me :frowning2:

The DT 1990 is Beyers pro flagship while the T1.2 is their audiophile flagship. You can tell they’re aimed for different markets by listening to them. The T1.2 is capable of being very dynamic but it’s not as lively but it's still more lively than the Sennheiser HD 6xx line etc. so it's not boring and I thought it should be made clear they aren’t quite a DT 1990 upgrade, they’re more of an Amiron Home upgrade but still a bit different than the Amiron Home. I’m honestly wanting a lively headphone again so I’m eyeing getting the DT 1990 again as a compliment for the T1.2 or possibly a K812 if I can audition a pair again and/or find a good price (sadly it’s been a very long time since I heard those though but I do remember them having dynamic liveliness).

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2020 at 10:07 AM Post #3,383 of 4,785
Anyone tried DT 1770 here ? How is it sounding compared to 1990 and 770 ? I don't know the Beyer hate around audiophile circles. Can't really get reliable info.
Ive heard they are bass cannons. But the graph is kind of strange

There is also the dt 177x from drop it graphs better and has 4 pin xlr for balanced. But it is only 32ohm that can be nice or bad. Depends on how you want to see it

This guy is not a beyer hater and had both 1990 and 1770 maybe he compares them somewhere

Aug 11, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #3,384 of 4,785
dupe dupe dupe
dupe of Earl
dupe dupe dupe of Earl...

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #3,385 of 4,785
The DT1770s are absolutely not bass cannons or anything cannons. They're a nice all-around set of cans that doesn't feel closed except for the extreme separation.

I have LCD-2C and LCD-3 and Fostex TR-X00 and all three have appreciably more slam, and the Fostex is much faster than the DT1770s.

Aug 11, 2020 at 12:53 PM Post #3,386 of 4,785
Currently trying a pair of 177X Go alongside my 1990 Pros. Argon MK3 are bass cannons. SIVGA Phoenix are bass cannons. 177X sound great on the bass side but much more importantly they're not fatiguing at all with a very nice and subtle bass especially using the leather pads that they come with. I'll try to do a more thorough writeup in a few days and will list all my gear too which makes a huge difference. Am thinking about ordering the balanced cable Hart Audio has for them as I have a balanced DAC & amp combo on the way too. Will be back!

Aug 12, 2020 at 8:25 AM Post #3,387 of 4,785
Hey everyone :)
I recently joined the club of DT1990 owners - currently amp'd by a porta corda v2 and fed by a Violectric V800 DAC.
So far, I really really like them - but I can't decide which pads I should use. When I use one, I miss the characteristics of the other. Really a two-sided coin ...
So, two questions:
- Is there a general preference in pads?
- How much would you expect the sound will benefit from an amp upgrade to a, say, A20?

Aug 12, 2020 at 8:28 AM Post #3,388 of 4,785
Hey everyone :)
I recently joined the club of DT1990 owners - currently amp'd by a porta corda v2 and fed by a Violectric V800 DAC.
So far, I really really like them - but I can't decide which pads I should use. When I use one, I miss the characteristics of the other. Really a two-sided coin ...
So, two questions:
- How much would you expect the sound will benefit from an amp upgrade to a, say, A20?
There is actually no preference in pads some like a some like b and i like dekoni elite velours. They take away a bit of energy and are more comfortable for me.

Aug 12, 2020 at 10:00 AM Post #3,389 of 4,785

Ear pad preferences do seem split. Best to worst for me is; Analytical, Balanced, Elite Velour. I only use the A pads.

You will need to find what fits best with your setup and personal sound preferences. My only suggestion is to not rush the pad changes. Live with one set for an extended period before trying another. Short term listening leads to errors.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2020 at 10:56 AM Post #3,390 of 4,785
I have settled back with the B pads. Gave the A pads a trial run for almost two days. Positive and negatives for both. Still a PITA to change pads. Been reading about the Dekoni Hybrids. Not cheap, but seem like a good option per reviews. Some prefer the Dekoni Velours. Dealers choice. Still going to rock the B pads and will order Hybrids if I keep them. They really are great cans minus the elevated treble. Saw a passive filter that is supposed to help, but no idea if it works. Science says it should. Will order for sure it if I keep them. I find them great looking. The shimmer on the cups is mesmerizing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back