Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
May 13, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #3,061 of 4,782
You seem to lack an understanding of how we hear. A flat pancake FR resoponse sounds terrible to us because our ears do not have a linear sensitivity. We have a mid bias, and our ear canal will attenuate the sound pressure levels. This is why certain ranges have peaks, in order to have the range sound linear to our ears.
I'm curious, what makes you think I lack that understanding?

May 13, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #3,063 of 4,782
I wasn't asking. I was pointing out precisely how high it is and commenting on SilverEars' reason for making that post and pointing out what I thought was an error in crazywipe's thinking.

May 13, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #3,065 of 4,782
Because you were asking as to why the treble peak is so high in the 9K range.

Honestly I think many people get too wrapped up in terms of FR response which is really just the balance of loudness of the sound across the sound spectrum as that can be adjusted with EQ, tone controls, etc. and not what I consider to be the actual coloration of a headphone which is inherent to the driver itself. Many sadly think the FR is the end all be all, which I think is a big mistake, rather I think one should be looking for an uncolored driver and then tweak the sound balance to their liking. I don’t think many people are listening for actual driver coloration. Those with more esoteric knowledge probably can explain this better. Honestly the modern Tesla Beyers have some of the most transparent and least colored drivers I’ve heard on any headphone with the T1 being the most transparent/least colored of the bunch imho followed closely by the DT 1990 and Amiron Home. If you want to know why the T1, DT 1990, and Amiron Home sound oddly right with long term ownership and listening compared to just about anything else this is honestly why imho.

Last edited:
May 13, 2020 at 6:13 PM Post #3,066 of 4,782
Yeah, for me 95dB is maybe 10dB higher than normal, but maybe not far off from when I wanna crank it.

Anyway, my point is that if the DT 1990 really has a 25dB peak at 9kHz, then it could easily put that frequency into the hearing-damage-pretty-dang-quickly realm. As a matter of fact, I find them much less fatiguing than I used to and I sometimes wonder if it's because they've caused some hearing loss at those frequencies. In reality it could be any number of things: the tubes I use, "mental burn in," seasonal allergies, etc.

There is no 25 db peaks on the 1990.
Just check the graph on diyaudioheaven.
With balanced pads we are talking about 5 db over the midrange (400hz).
If you take 1khz (that is a bit dipped) maybe 8-9 decibels, that is very far from 25 decibels.

If you are concerned about hearing loss and listen on daily basis at 95 decibels you will develop earing loss during time, no matter peaks or dips the headphone can have.
Mind you, NIHL (noise inducted hearing loss) has the Classic notch at 4khz, with the majority of damage in this area (very far from 8khz)

If someome listen at reasonable level, let's say 60 to 75 decibels, you'll keep your hearing safe, hear more detail in the music and less ear fatigue.

May 13, 2020 at 10:31 PM Post #3,067 of 4,782
Honestly I think many people get too wrapped up in terms of FR response which is really just the balance of loudness of the sound across the sound spectrum as that can be adjusted with EQ, tone controls, etc. and not what I consider to be the actual coloration of a headphone which is inherent to the driver itself. Many sadly think the FR is the end all be all, which I think is a big mistake, rather I think one should be looking for an uncolored driver and then tweak the sound balance to their liking. I don’t think many people are listening for actual driver coloration. Those with more esoteric knowledge probably can explain this better. Honestly the modern Tesla Beyers have some of the most transparent and least colored drivers I’ve heard on any headphone with the T1 being the most transparent/least colored of the bunch imho followed closely by the DT 1990 and Amiron Home. If you want to know why the T1, DT 1990, and Amiron Home sound oddly right with long term ownership and listening compared to just about anything else this is honestly why imho.
You've got me curious what exactly you mean? My definitions of coloration and transparency are directly related to frequency response as well as anything else that can affect the way something sounds (a lot of which I don't know or understand). My understanding of "transparent" means that it has a ruler flat frequency response and all other measures are below the threshold of human hearing. Anything that doesn't meet that definition is "colored." Further, anything that is transparent sounds exactly like anything else that's transparent. By that definition, no driver can really be considered transparent, at least because of its FR (but also, from my understanding, because they all have some audible distortion... Though I'm not willing to go in the record as saying that).
Anyway, I'm not trying to say you're wrong. I just want to understand what exactly you mean.

I honestly find the semantics to be one of the most interesting parts of audiophilia. Understanding people is hard!

Also! To keep this thread on track... Anybody here listen to classical? On vinyl? Through tubes? On your DT 1990? Oh man. I didn't think I was much of a classical fan, but I might have to change my mind. This is definitely addictive.
😂<<Tears of joy!
😭<< It's so beautiful it makes my cry! 🤮<<Have you ever seen something so beautiful it fills you with some weird existential dread? As if the sight or sound of that thing makes you realize how very small you are, like you've just glimpsed some far off corner of the universe and then the sheer vastness and beauty of the it all just gathers in the pit of your stomach and you want to vomit? No? It's just me? OK. Carry on, then.
😵

May 14, 2020 at 2:05 AM Post #3,068 of 4,782
We are not drop blessed unfortunately

They have so much stuff i want thx amp hd6xx 177x go

Both headphones are made in Germany! Shameful that you have to pay more...

BTW your neighbors in Czech Republic cannot even buy direct from Beyer in Germany. They do not ship here.

Free trade and open borders, what was the EU about again?

May 14, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #3,069 of 4,782
Both headphones are made in Germany! Shameful that you have to pay more...

BTW your neighbors in Czech Republic cannot even buy direct from Beyer in Germany. They do not ship here.

Free trade and open borders, what was the EU about again?
Yes its a shame i heard somewhere you can't order focal cans in france and they are made there

May 14, 2020 at 1:53 PM Post #3,070 of 4,782
please, does anyone know the factory pinout of jst connectors?
and how to understand the red mark if there are two connectors?

Attachments

• DT 1990_3.JPG
    DT 1990_3.JPG
    358.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 14, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #3,071 of 4,782
Has anyone tried these with some bigger model Brainwavz pads (or similar)? Having listened to the DT770 and read about the DT1990's I'm tempted to give them a listen, but the standard DT pads are a tad too small...

If anyone has tried bigger pads - how does it affect the comfort and sound?

May 14, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #3,072 of 4,782
May 14, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #3,073 of 4,782

Yes, I saw those measurements. But unless I'm mistaken, aren't the 60x60x22 inner dimensions of the Dekoni's the same as stock? If so, they'd still be too small for me. The Brainwavz XL seem to be 65x65x30, so I'd assume they would alter the sound signature significantly? I read in the DT880 thread that somebody used them with that model, and they list the dt's as compatible. In this thread there seems to be some mentions of Brainwavs pads, too, but I'm unsure which models and how they would affect the sound.

It might be that they would change the sound quality so drastically that using these headphones would turn into a hopeless endeavor, and I might be better off looking for another pair. But would be interesting to know if someone has experimented with it already!

May 14, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #3,074 of 4,782
That graphs of the dekoni elite velour look really good can someone confirm that the bass is between both stock pads and that there is no treble spike ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back