Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Oct 4, 2019 at 9:41 PM Post #2,596 of 4,782
Speaking of balance, I have a pair of these coming and might at some point feel compelled to replace the 3-pin mini-XLR jack with 4-pin (as I saw someone do with ease on reddit), and make an F mini-XLR to M 4.4 mm cable for it. I know it probably won't make a difference, but I just got a Fiio M11 and want to stick something in the bigger hole. :p I've also drug my feet on making custom cables for too long.

I can't seem to find any pre-made mini-XLR to 4.4 mm cables. I'm not exactly sure what to do with the 5th pole (sleeve) on the cable.

Merit of balanced output aside, is there something wrong this this idea?

Edit: The 5th pole is shield with ground raised on the headphones side. Makes sense!

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2019 at 3:51 PM Post #2,597 of 4,782
yeah when i bought my DT1990 i realised right away, analytical pads were the best to use. the balance are good as well, but just not really for me or what i listen to.

Oct 5, 2019 at 10:51 PM Post #2,598 of 4,782
Clearly the Balanced pads have more pronounced bass, but the bass lift also intrudes into the midrange. Oddly, the Balanced pads also emphasize sibilants, at least mine do. Is that what others find too?

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #2,599 of 4,782
Clearly the Balanced pads have more pronounced bass, but the bass lift also intrudes into the midrange. Oddly, the Balanced pads also emphasize sibilants, at least mine do. Is that what others find too?

Exactly. I listened 10 minutes the balaced pads and went back to the analytical. Despite the name, they sounds more even and balanced to me.
Balanced pads sounds more v-shaped to my ears. Mids suffer.

Oct 6, 2019 at 3:13 PM Post #2,600 of 4,782

Actually, even the analytical pads have some elevation in the bass extending well into the mids. But it's definitely less pronounced than the balanced ear pads have.

Oct 6, 2019 at 11:45 PM Post #2,601 of 4,782
I like V-shaped a sound for what I listen to (electronic/game music) but still prefer the analytical pads, and just use eq with them. The B pads have nice bass but have a reduced soundstage and almost sound like a closed headphone. They might be better for some specific things but it's a lot of work to switch the pads.

Oct 7, 2019 at 1:47 AM Post #2,602 of 4,782
Would Woo WA7 Firefly be a good match with dt 1990?
I'm interested in buying a used pair for under 650, which is very attractive considering its 999 brand new price. Also, how would you compare it to RME ADI-2, around 900 USD for a used set.
I think I'm done debating myself and comitted to invest in a proper desktop amp and dac too see whether I can notice the difference compared to my portable ha-2
Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2019 at 3:34 PM Post #2,603 of 4,782
Just got my 1990s. What do I do, continue to listen with the B pads, or struggle some more to change them so I can put on the A pads I know I'll like even more? :p

So far, so good, but the best is yet to come, I think... Maybe I'll find out eventually.

Edit: I'm probably the first person in this thread who took 5 minutes to figure out how to take the stock pads off, before installing the new pads in 90 seconds.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2019 at 5:17 PM Post #2,605 of 4,782
Honestly, when I first got mine I preferred the B pads. Thought the A's were just too analytical/clean. Went with the B's for a solid 6 months, got bored and went back to the A's. And haven't switched back since. I've never had a problem with the treble (I am not a youngster, so I may have burned out my ears a bit). I love the detail they bring out in my music.

Oct 8, 2019 at 8:15 PM Post #2,606 of 4,782
A pads are a must try with the dt1990!

Honestly, when I first got mine I preferred the B pads. Thought the A's were just too analytical/clean. Went with the B's for a solid 6 months, got bored and went back to the A's. And haven't switched back since. I've never had a problem with the treble (I am not a youngster, so I may have burned out my ears a bit). I love the detail they bring out in my music.

I probably made a mistake by giving the B's a listen first... I said I was going straight to the A's for the first week or two, but temptation called... I'm going through a similar experience. I prefer the B's for the moment, but am going to give the A's more time. It's definitely an upgrade coming from my HD598s.

I had a similar experience also when replacing my 'fun' 1980s stereo set with more modern, detailed, wider-imaging floorstanders. I know the A pads, like the floorstanders, are, by most measures important to me, 'better', but for the moment, the B pads are more enjoyable. Now, I adore the floorstanders. I expect to settle on the A's.

So cool to have options, though--I like both pads well enough that I'm not considering returning the 1990s. I'll give them much more time when I don't have a headache and can do some enhanced bonding with them. :)

FWIW: No sibilance/treble issues for me on anything I've listened to thus far. I'm 35 and have a bit of hearing loss, but in one ear only. I haven't used enough headphones to compare/contrast, but have to note I'm a fan of brightness in general. My guitar rig is a Mesa Mark V with a classic V-shaped GEQ into a 4x12 loaded with Vintage 30s, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. :p

Oct 11, 2019 at 6:13 AM Post #2,607 of 4,782
Those of you who use Sonarworks with this headphone what are your settings? I find 100% dry/wet to take too much life out of the headphones so right now I am using 50% and +6db in bass. (which is the amout of bass like 100% but with more treble).

Oct 23, 2019 at 7:14 AM Post #2,609 of 4,782
Hi, can someone tell me if the 1990's they bought came with an opened bag for the pads? I.e., no sellotape. I know Beyer don't tape their boxes, but it seems everything I buy from Amazon has already been opened. Really grinds my gears.
Thanks

Oct 23, 2019 at 7:55 AM Post #2,610 of 4,782
Hi, can someone tell me if the 1990's they bought came with an opened bag for the pads? I.e., no sellotape. I know Beyer don't tape their boxes, but it seems everything I buy from Amazon has already been opened. Really grinds my gears.
Thanks
Mine was taped, and i ordered it from amazon Canada. maybe its different from your local amazon warehouse station. :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back