Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Oct 23, 2019 at 8:00 AM Post #2,611 of 4,771
Mine was taped, and i ordered it from amazon Canada. maybe its different from your local amazon warehouse station. :frowning2:
Thanks for info. This is annoying. I actually bought it from Thomann this time around in an effort to avoid the Amazon habit of sending out returned goods. I return a fair share of stuff myself, but don't see it acceptable to to send back used good.

Oct 23, 2019 at 8:30 AM Post #2,612 of 4,771
Thanks for info. This is annoying. I actually bought it from Thomann this time around in an effort to avoid the Amazon habit of sending out returned goods. I return a fair share of stuff myself, but don't see it acceptable to to send back used good.
To be fair, when i bought my first pair of B&O H6 Gen2, it was said NEW and sold by amazon directly. when i got the package it wasnt in an amazon box, was handled by the delivery man as if he opened the box himself. there was missing cables, cat hair all over the headphones, no manuals or bag.. just the headphones in terrible condition. I contacted amazon and they said i bought "used" when it clearly stated in the transaction email "NEW". i was sent a brand new pair of headphones due to the mix up and granted 100$ credit towards another amazon purchase.

Amazon is great when it comes to fixing their mistakes if they're blatantly obvious, but when it comes to something extremely minor they'll say its due to shipping handling or customer damage.

My DT1990 Pros came in mint condition, I think it also comes down to amazons warehouse employees and how they package products.
If its Beyer who sent the product to amazon, they should be mint like mine.
If its sold on amazon from an independent seller/store... the box may of been opened by the store previously and inspected. so that may be the cause as to why you were missing tape perhaps?

Oct 23, 2019 at 10:48 AM Post #2,613 of 4,771
To be fair, when i bought my first pair of B&O H6 Gen2, it was said NEW and sold by amazon directly. when i got the package it wasnt in an amazon box, was handled by the delivery man as if he opened the box himself. there was missing cables, cat hair all over the headphones, no manuals or bag.. just the headphones in terrible condition. I contacted amazon and they said i bought "used" when it clearly stated in the transaction email "NEW". i was sent a brand new pair of headphones due to the mix up and granted 100$ credit towards another amazon purchase.

Amazon is great when it comes to fixing their mistakes if they're blatantly obvious, but when it comes to something extremely minor they'll say its due to shipping handling or customer damage.

My DT1990 Pros came in mint condition, I think it also comes down to amazons warehouse employees and how they package products.
If its Beyer who sent the product to amazon, they should be mint like mine.
If its sold on amazon from an independent seller/store... the box may of been opened by the store previously and inspected. so that may be the cause as to why you were missing tape perhaps?
Thanks for info. I always go for Amazon itself rather than 3rd party sellers in case I need to return it. This was from Thomann which to my mind is generally more reliable than Amazon. First time this has happened. I bought both a pair of DT990s and DT770s from Amazon the other week, both manifestly open. Not damaged or anything, just opened. I will try again and hope it's being untampered with. Did you end up getting your Sony's, by the way?

Oct 24, 2019 at 7:51 AM Post #2,614 of 4,771
Thanks for info. I always go for Amazon itself rather than 3rd party sellers in case I need to return it. This was from Thomann which to my mind is generally more reliable than Amazon. First time this has happened. I bought both a pair of DT990s and DT770s from Amazon the other week, both manifestly open. Not damaged or anything, just opened. I will try again and hope it's being untampered with. Did you end up getting your Sony's, by the way?
Nope, I'm thinking of getting the Hifiman Arya instead of the Z7m2 or Z1R. I was able to demo the Arya at an audio show last Feb so that clinched my liking for them. Sony never showed up to the audio show so thats their loss.

Oct 24, 2019 at 9:45 AM Post #2,616 of 4,771
Oct 26, 2019 at 11:40 AM Post #2,617 of 4,771
IMG_20191026_155335 - Copie.jpg

Oct 26, 2019 at 1:16 PM Post #2,619 of 4,771
Oct 27, 2019 at 9:48 AM Post #2,621 of 4,771
At the Toronto Hi-Fi show, I listened to some very high-end headphones from Focal, Abyss, Hifiman, Stax, etc., mostly powered by multi-kilobuck DAC's and amps. I had my DT 1990 with me, and switched them in and out in some setups. My conclusion is that the DT 1990 (Analytical pads) is my headphone end-game. I don't feel I'm missing out on anything. I was very surprised to find that I did not like the Stax sound, very poor PRaT.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #2,622 of 4,771
At the Toronto Hi-Fi show, I listened to some very high-end headphones from Focal, Abyss, Hifiman, Stax, etc., mostly powered by multi-kilobuck DAC's and amps. I had my DT 1990 with me, and switched them in and out in some setups. My conclusion is that the DT 1990 (Analytical pads) is my headphone end-game. I don't feel I'm missing out on anything. I was very surprised to find that I did not like the Stax sound, very poor PRaT.

Honestly I've listened to a lot of headphones and I found I am happiest with Beyers overall with a HD 6xx family headphone to compliment them. To me my T1.2 is my endgame open-back, but I'll honestly be happy with the Amiron Home and DT 1990 as well but I find the T1.2 is a step above for me personally and it's also the darkest of those three to my ears, the Amiron Home in the middle, with the DT 1990 being the brightest overall. Each has a different sound signature so which one likes the most will vary. Something just sounds right with the newer Tesla Beyers. Estats and planars are not quite for everyone.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2019 at 5:49 AM Post #2,623 of 4,771
Has anyone compared the DT1990 to the Focal Elex? Especially looking for bass comparisons...
Elex has more bass, but its not controlled and sounds unnatural to me. maybe for some they will like the boosted bass.

Nov 1, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #2,624 of 4,771
I need to replace the A pads on my DT 1990s, has anyone found pads other than beyer's that are close to the A pads sound wise? Looking to get something more comfortable. Brainwavz XL velours maybe?

Nov 2, 2019 at 2:32 PM Post #2,625 of 4,771
I need to replace the A pads on my DT 1990s, has anyone found pads other than beyer's that are close to the A pads sound wise? Looking to get something more comfortable. Brainwavz XL velours maybe?
yeah that can be an option, you may want to also check out dekoni audio and their pads as well. they`re more expensive than brainwavez tho. but i`d say get the brainwavez velour first and see if its all good. then if thats not, get dekoni maybe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back