Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Nov 3, 2019 at 12:01 PM Post #2,626 of 4,770
Anyone pairing their DT 1990 pro with a tube amp?
I'm wondering about which tubes you prefer.

I'm using the analytical pads and am on a Woo Audio amp, the WA6SE. If you have tried different tubes I'd love to hear which tubes you prefer, I thank you kindly!

Nov 3, 2019 at 12:34 PM Post #2,627 of 4,770
Anyone pairing their DT 1990 pro with a tube amp?
I'm wondering about which tubes you prefer.

I'm using the analytical pads and am on a Woo Audio amp, the WA6SE. If you have tried different tubes I'd love to hear which tubes you prefer, I thank you kindly!

I am currently really liking the RCA 6AS7G and a Raytheon 12AU7 in the BH Crack at the moment with the DT1990. Not liking the RCA with the HD600 though.

Nov 3, 2019 at 4:32 PM Post #2,628 of 4,770
My final modding for this DT1190 !

IMG_20191028_102333 - Copie.jpg
IMG_20191029_095431 - Copie.jpg
IMG_20191103_215720 - Copie.jpg
IMG_20191103_215025.jpg
IMG_20191103_200504 - Copie.jpg
IMG_20191103_214510 - Copie.jpg
IMG_20191103_215207 - Copie.jpg

1990 2e mousse feutrine- Copie.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #2,629 of 4,770
I need to replace the A pads on my DT 1990s, has anyone found pads other than beyer's that are close to the A pads sound wise? Looking to get something more comfortable. Brainwavz XL velours maybe?
Dekoni has some pads. I believe some people have given their description of them in this thread.

Nov 6, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #2,630 of 4,770
Ended up getting the Dekoni Elite Velour for my DT 1990. So far I'm enjoying them, they tame the treble a bit while adding some thump to the bass. From what I can tell it's sitting in between the A and B pads sound wise while opening up the soundstage a bit since the drivers are further away from the ears now.

Nov 8, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #2,632 of 4,770
Have one of these coming in for a demo. I’m just curious to how these sound given their recent upsurge in popularity. Also, I have some tube gear that may play well with Beyers’ ability to scale. Still need to hear these and a T1. Will it be the case that the T1’s 600 ohm impedance raises the ceiling of scalability in contrast to the 250 ohm DT1990 Pro? is a question I hope to answer.

I’m a little scared of their fabled brightness though.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2019 at 1:28 PM Post #2,633 of 4,770
Have one of these coming in for a demo. I’m just curious to how these sound given their recent upsurge in popularity. Also, I have some tube gear that may play well with Beyers’ ability to scale. Still need to hear these and a T1. Will it be the case that the T1’s 600 ohm impedance raises the ceiling of scalability in contrast to the 250 ohm DT1990 Pro? is a question I hope to answer.

I’m a little scared of their fabled brightness though.

I’m my experience the T1.2 does indeed scale more than the DT 1990, but the DT 1990 and Amiron Home scale nicely like the HD 650 in my experience. All of the newer T1.2’s I’ve heard are the darkest Tesla Beyers I’ve heard. They do have an upper treble rise but I find it darker than the HD 650 overall at least on my systems. The DT 1990 I found a bit brighter than the HD 600, the DT 1990 is a bit more of a more raw and forward sound, it’s a bit bright but not overly so imho. The Beyer treble may or may not take some adjusting to. The T1.2 is a softer sound more akin to what’s found in the HD 650 but of course not quite the same.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2019 at 1:59 PM Post #2,634 of 4,770
I’m my experience the T1.2 does indeed scale more than the DT 1990, but the DT 1990 and Amiron Home scale nicely like the HD 650 in my experience. All of the newer T1.2’s I’ve heard are the darkest Tesla Beyers I’ve heard. They do have an upper treble rise but I find it darker than the HD 650 overall at least on my systems. The DT 1990 I found a bit brighter than the HD 600, the DT 1990 is a bit more of a more raw and forward sound, it’s a bit bright but not overly so imho. The Beyer treble may or may not take some adjusting to. The T1.2 is a softer sound more akin to what’s found in the HD 650 but of course not quite the same.

Thanks. I am prepared for low volume and warm tubes, at least initially. HD600 is one of my favorite headphones; but on some tracks its peak in upper mids fatigues me.

Is this darker tonality only true of the black T1.2? I heard that rumor awhile ago and haven't had anyone confirm if both the silver and black are retuned. Thinking about trialling one for comparison.

Nov 8, 2019 at 2:11 PM Post #2,635 of 4,770
Thanks. I am prepared for low volume and warm tubes, at least initially. HD600 is one of my favorite headphones; but on some tracks its peak in upper mids fatigues me.

Is this darker tonality only true of the black T1.2? I heard that rumor awhile ago and haven't had anyone confirm if both the silver and black are retuned. Thinking about trialling one for comparison.

I find the upper mids to be a tad much even on the HD 650 at times, Beyers generally tone that region down a bit compared to the HD 6 Senns and rather tend to emphasize the upper treble instead. The brighter upper mids of my Senns is one reason I find my T1.2’s to have a darker overall tone.

Sadly I’ve only heard an older silver T1.2 and it was too bright for my liking and isn’t the genre master I find my current T1.2 to be. I’ve only heard black pairs on the recent ones, largely because they tend to be cheaper so they seem to sell more of them. So I can’t confirm if it’s the newer batches or the black ones. Then some people also say some of the older silver pairs sound dark sounding adding to the confusion. The only person I’ve seen reviewed the black pair on YouTube also found it on the darker side and it seems to be a consistent theme that the black ones are on the darker side. Though if I’m honest the silver is a prettier headphone in terms of looks.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2019 at 2:36 PM Post #2,636 of 4,770
I find the upper mids to be a tad much even on the HD 650 at times, Beyers generally tone that region down a bit compared to the HD 6 Senns and rather tend to emphasize the upper treble instead. The brighter upper mids of my Senns is one reason I find my T1.2’s to have a darker overall tone.

Sadly I’ve only heard an older silver T1.2 and it was too bright for my liking and isn’t the genre master I find my current T1.2 to be. I’ve only heard black pairs on the recent ones, largely because they tend to be cheaper so they seem to sell more of them. So I can’t confirm if it’s the newer batches or the black ones. Then some people also say some of the older silver pairs sound dark sounding adding to the confusion. The only person I’ve seen reviewed the black pair on YouTube also found it on the darker side and it seems to be a consistent theme that the black ones are on the darker side. Though if I’m honest the silver is a prettier headphone in terms of looks.

That is true about the Sennheisers. I agree the silvers look less gaudy than the black. And it could be that, if black sells more, inventory is able to stock batches with newer tunings quicker than that of the silver even if newer, darker tunings of the silver exist. If I tried, it would have to be the black so as not to take chances. It seems a pretty consistent consensus. While it's not an stable argument to say so (logical fallacy of appeal to ignorance), I haven't seen anyone call the black bright yet.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2019 at 2:54 PM Post #2,637 of 4,770
That is true about the Sennheisers. I agree the silvers look less gaudy than the black. And it could be that, if black sells more, inventory is able to stock batches with newer tunings quicker than that of the silver even if newer, darker tunings of the silver exist. If I tried, it would have to be the black so as not to take chances. It seems a pretty consistent consensus. While it's not an stable argument to say so (logical fallacy of appeal to ignorance), I haven't seen anyone call the black bright yet.

Honestly the blacks aren’t really gaudy as it’s more of a matte and brushed metal black and not really glossy. It’s not anymore gaudy in appearance than the DT 1990. Rather quite unassuming and subdued. The silvers aren’t gaudy either, just more elegant in appearance. I would say the HD 600 and HD 650 are a bit more gaudy looking than it due to their glossy paint. In regards to the DT 1990, I’ve found it consistent so wouldn’t worry about QC in terms of sound. I don’t blame you as I haven’t heard anyone say the black ones are bright either, so they have that track record.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2019 at 10:27 AM Post #2,638 of 4,770
Ended up getting the Dekoni Elite Velour for my DT 1990. So far I'm enjoying them, they tame the treble a bit while adding some thump to the bass. From what I can tell it's sitting in between the A and B pads sound wise while opening up the soundstage a bit since the drivers are further away from the ears now.
I have the same Dekoni pads. I can't use them because of exaggerated sibilance. The Analytical pads maintain top spot for me, as they are less sibilant than Balanced or Dekoni Elite Velour.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2019 at 2:59 PM Post #2,639 of 4,770
I have the same Dekoni pads. I can't use them because of exaggerated sibilance. The Analytical pads maintain top spot for me, as they are less sibilant than Balanced or Dekoni Elite Velour.

Yea, it's hard to beat the A pads soundwise, I'll use the Dekoni pads for a while until I get around to ordering some new A pads from Beyer. Also, has anyone tried the fenestrated pads from Dekoni or Brainwavz? Would be interested to hear a comparison between the velour and fenestrated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back