Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Dec 17, 2018 at 6:29 PM Post #2,312 of 4,790
Hi everyone,

I heard a lot of great things about this, looking into this headphones to add to a collection having headphones like the HD650, Meze 99 Classics, Audeze iSine 20 etc..

Anyone that can give some kind of feedback regarding the sound compared to the other headphones listed above? From the feedback i get , they are supposed to sound more like the Audio Technica M40x then they are supposed to sound like Meze 99 Classics for example?

Hey, I have the HD 650 as well as the DT 1990. Somebody was asking about a comparison between those two the other day, so here's my response (somebody had told them they sounded similar, hence my sarcastic tone):
I guess I'd agree that these sound like the HD 650 if you gave the 650 more bass extension, more bass slam, took away some of the mid-bass hump, reduced the mids slightly and made them less warm, extended and boosted the treble, give them the ability to play aggressively, added a whole lot of detail, and really improved dynamics. Then, yeah, if you do that they sound just like the HD 650. Oh yeah, they can also play music, which the HD 650 also does.

My impression of them is that they treble is quite forward, but to my ear it's not fatiguing or sibilant or strident. If you go back several pages in this thread, though, you'll see that others disagree. If you dislike or have a sensitivity to treble or if the HD 650 is your perfect tuning for headphones, you might not like the DT 1990.
Otherwise, I find the sound to be very nicely balanced. Keep in mind, though, that these were designed for professional use, specifically made for analyzing, so they're not exactly forgiving. I don't find them suitable for listening to vinyl (pops and clicks are brought too far forward... though some of my very clean vinyl I probably could listen to), but I only have one non-vinyl album that I can't listen to with the DT 1990... But even the HD 650 makes that album only marginally more listenable. 99.9% of the time I find the treble and attention to detail to be exciting. How you'll find them, though, I wouldn't care to guess.

I guess I would say that tubes (at least my setup of BH Quickie + Quicksand) makes the DT 1990 slightly more like the HD 650 with solid state. Reduces treble slightly, slightly boosts and warms mids, but it's not, like, world changing.

Are the cans returnable? If so, I'd suggest giving them a listen and deciding for yourself.
I think my main takeaway from this would be to no longer read those reviewers.
There was another person who claimed that he does listen to and enjoys vinyl with his DT 1990, so YMMV and all that.

Dec 17, 2018 at 6:45 PM Post #2,313 of 4,790
Hi everyone,

I heard a lot of great things about this, looking into this headphones to add to a collection having headphones like the HD650, Meze 99 Classics, Audeze iSine 20 etc..

Anyone that can give some kind of feedback regarding the sound compared to the other headphones listed above? From the feedback i get , they are supposed to sound more like the Audio Technica M40x then they are supposed to sound like Meze 99 Classics for example?

These headphones are very forward and in your face and sound like other Beyerdynamic headphones. It'll provide a ton of detail and are meant for studio monitoring, so you're going to hear everything. They have a 10db bump in the 6k-10k range and can be quite sibilant in my opinion. You'll get fatigue after quite a bit of listening. Switching to the "Analytical" pads will bring down the treble peak a bit, but will also decrease the bass on the low end slightly. Still satisfying bass with pad swap.

Dec 17, 2018 at 9:12 PM Post #2,315 of 4,790
Thanks for all your answers guys, i was not really looking to something like the HD 650 , since almost all headphones i have go towards a warmer sound signature. For 430€, i think it is my go to!
I find the HD 650 and DT 1990 to be very nice complements to one another. Both great headphones, but different.

Dec 18, 2018 at 5:24 AM Post #2,316 of 4,790
Ive tried my DT1990 pros on a vinyl player plugged into a stereo system. I thought it sounded really pleasing. I was listening to iron maidens first vinyl press, really fun.

Dec 18, 2018 at 6:42 AM Post #2,318 of 4,790
i'm actually quite curious about the HD650, i heard the HD600 and didnt like them. wonder how different the 650 is. i've yet to try the 660S also. any comparison to the 660S and DT1990 Pro?

Dec 18, 2018 at 9:30 AM Post #2,319 of 4,790
I have a Massdrop HD 6XX on the way, I'm hoping for exactly that, that they will be a good compliment to my 1990's.
Be sure to give them and yourself plenty of time. They can sound quite veiled and congested if you're used to the DT 1990, but they're very pleasing once you've gotten used to their sound.

Dec 18, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #2,320 of 4,790
Be sure to give them and yourself plenty of time. They can sound quite veiled and congested if you're used to the DT 1990, but they're very pleasing once you've gotten used to their sound.
The DT 1990 has been my go to hp for 18 months now so, as you say, I'll need to be patient with them, hopefully they'll become my 2nd hp's for some time to come.

Dec 18, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #2,321 of 4,790
New toy arrived today.
UobjCGA.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-18_17-33-36.png
    upload_2018-12-18_17-33-36.png
    31.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 18, 2018 at 6:20 PM Post #2,324 of 4,790
Ive tried my DT1990 pros on a vinyl player plugged into a stereo system. I thought it sounded really pleasing. I was listening to iron maidens first vinyl press, really fun.

These sound incredible off a turntable system
Do you only buy new vinyl? What sort of turntable setups do you have? Do you have a cleaning regimen for your vinyl? I have a Rega RP-1 >> Parasound zPhono >> Peachtree Nova65se and I buy almost exclusively used vinyl. I just find the pops and clicks to be too much on the DT 1990. Maybe I'll have to try again since it's been a while, I just remember thinking it wasn't very pleasant. I'd be interested to know what you guys are doing differently from me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back