Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Aug 20, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #1,906 of 4,782
OK, I got a pair for $499 with a bonus amp. Lets say were talking $400 for the phones alone. Im struggling, searching the depths of my brain to come up with a pair of $400 phones that can touch the DT1990. Further whenever I see a detailed comparison to these phones, Invariably, the target phones are always sub $1000 offerings due to the retail list of the DT1990. When you factor in what you can actually score a pair for (half retail), then we start approaching the definition of the term "game changer".

If I'm wrong here - prove it to me. Come up with a pair of phones that can be had for <$500 that can compare to the DT-1990. Short of the HD-600, I don't see too many rivals.

I'm waiting....
I'm wondering if you got this bundled with the FiiO E10k with the BuyDig coupon from TechBargains? It seems a little disingenuous to claim you can get them for 50% of retail (though I'm really not sure where you got that number) if you're only talking about short term coupons and sales. Today TechBargains has a coupon for the HE-560 for $299 from Adorama, but the DT 1990 coupon is expired.
I'm not arguing that they aren't great headphones and hard to beat for the price, just that claiming rare sales and throwing out weird numbers isn't the way to measure their value.

Also, that video is surprisingly not grating, a rarity for video reviews not by Tyll Hertsens.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #1,907 of 4,782
"If it could be scientifically proven that the dt1990 sounds exactly one specific way, it would be worth arguing. It's not, so this is a waste of time"

Very true... but statistically the major of the owners don't hear a sibilant sound, so get yourself to the doctor and you maybe fix that! LOL! ( just joking ) It's completely normal when someone likes very much of a headphone " to defend it " :) Enjoy it

Aug 20, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #1,908 of 4,782
I'm wondering if you got this bundled with the FiiO E10k with the BuyDig coupon from TechBargains? It seems a little disingenuous to claim you can get them for 50% of retail (though I'm really not sure where you got that number) if you're only talking about short term coupons and sales. Today TechBargains has a coupon for the HE-560 for $299 from Adorama, but the DT 1990 coupon is expired.
I'm not arguing that they aren't great headphones and hard to beat for the price, just that claiming rare sales and throwing out weird numbers isn't the way to measure their value.

Also, that video is surprisingly not grating, a rarity for video reviews not by Tyll Hertsens.
I dont think that its impossible to find new pair for 400 if you look hard enough.

Aug 20, 2018 at 4:42 PM Post #1,909 of 4,782
Well, obviously that's true, since that's what you seem to have done. But by the same token, and as I just pointed out, the HE-560 is available for even less. You might also find somebody that's willing to give away their Utopia for a kiss on the cheek, but that's not to say that it's readily available for that price.

Aug 21, 2018 at 5:18 AM Post #1,910 of 4,782
"If it could be scientifically proven that the dt1990 sounds exactly one specific way, it would be worth arguing. It's not, so this is a waste of time"

Very true... but statistically the major of the owners don't hear a sibilant sound, so get yourself to the doctor and you maybe fix that! LOL! ( just joking ) It's completely normal when someone likes very much of a headphone " to defend it " :) Enjoy it
You've nailed it, my sentiments exactly.

Aug 28, 2018 at 5:12 PM Post #1,911 of 4,782
It's soooooo disappointing! How ****ing much can a person be unfortunate?! This was the second and last try and as you can see this time the headband is defective right out of the box(one part is swollen)! Does anybody know how to fix that? Is it the correct way to push the out of place lip inside and stick it with some glue? I really don't know what is happening in beyerdynamic and where is the quality control especially in PRO production line?!

1.jpg
2.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2018 at 8:44 PM Post #1,912 of 4,782
I want to get more juice into these bad boys. As much as I love the Topping A30, I want more...power. I've been ogling at the Schiit Jotunheim, without the DAC module since I've discovered the D30 are a great deal and compared with other offerings, it will do for a while. I know some people have the Darkvoice, and the Valhalla. But if I want to input monstrous amounts of power into this what other amps should I be looking for? Since infinite budget would get infinite power, I'm looking to stretch my budget up to 600 USD. Not more that what I paid for the DT-1990.

Aug 28, 2018 at 9:06 PM Post #1,913 of 4,782
I am an Amiron Home owner. I have it paired with the Audio-GD C-2 (2017 Edition) headphone amp, and I highly recommend it. This puppy has massive amounts of power. It is a very neutral sounding amp. It does not add or take anything away from the music at all. The bass is tight, defined, and accurate. Soundstaging has a slightly holographic character to it. Treble is clean, smooth, and completely non-fatiguing. You will be super happy with it. Look at the power output. After shipping, it will cost you about 500 US. Here is the link for it below.

25 ohm: 9900MW
40 ohm: 8000MW
100 ohm: 3500MW
300 ohm: 1200MW
600 ohm: 600MW

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/C22015/C22015EN.htm

Aug 28, 2018 at 9:22 PM Post #1,914 of 4,782
I am an Amiron Home owner. I have it paired with the Audio-GD C-2 (2017 Edition) headphone amp, and I highly recommend it. This puppy has massive amounts of power. It is a very neutral sounding amp. It does not add or take anything away from the music at all. The bass is tight, defined, and accurate. Soundstaging has a slightly holographic character to it. Treble is clean, smooth, and completely non-fatiguing. You will be super happy with it. Look at the power output. After shipping, it will cost you about 500 US. Here is the link for it below.

25 ohm: 9900MW
40 ohm: 8000MW
100 ohm: 3500MW
300 ohm: 1200MW
600 ohm: 600MW

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/C22015/C22015EN.htm
Oh damn, that's a lot of power. I'm interested.

Aug 28, 2018 at 9:33 PM Post #1,915 of 4,782
It is a great amp. Just contact Kingwa to ask for your price quote. You will get a response back shortly. On low gain, the amp goes from 0 to 100 on the dial. On high gain, 0 to 63. On high gain, my Amiron Home is plenty loud at 24-28 on the dial with new albums. You could easily damage your hearing with this amp, so be reasonable when using.

Aug 28, 2018 at 9:48 PM Post #1,916 of 4,782
There is their email. Just contact them and give them your name and address. Let them know what amp you want, and they will email you a price quote including shipping cost.

audio-gd@vip.163.com

Aug 28, 2018 at 10:12 PM Post #1,917 of 4,782
There is their email. Just contact them and give them your name and address. Let them know what amp you want, and they will email you a price quote including shipping cost.

audio-gd@vip.163.com

Thanks, before going for only an amp I perused quite a lot the NFB-11.28, but after that I saw the virtues of separated things. According to their quotes, I'm looking at 100 USD shipping costs to Latin America...better save some more.

Aug 28, 2018 at 10:24 PM Post #1,918 of 4,782
Before I bought the C-2, I talked to Kingwa a few times. The C-2 amp is a huge step up from the amp section in the R2R 11, NFB-11.28, and NFB-11.38 combos. Granted, that is to be expected, with the C-2 being a stand alone amp for 450 plus shipping. I have no doubt you will be impressed. I love the digital volume control on it too. It is nice to be able to adjust the volume up or down by one number at a time. It really allows you to fine tune in your exact volume for different albums.

Aug 29, 2018 at 10:33 PM Post #1,920 of 4,782
Can anyone give a comparison between the ATH-AD2000 and these headphones? I don't have a lot of references to compare to. I'm assuming these will be more neutral and less forward in the mid-range, and overall on the brighter side? Any insight is appreciated.

I got the headphone bug that only seems to get me every 4-5 years or so and wanted to try out something new, so I ordered the buydig DT1990 bundle with the 15% off eBay promo and will have in a few days. The bundle comes with a HiiO A5, a hardshell case, and an SD card for $501. I had another eBay promo and got a used A20 for $175. I'm hoping this delivers results that will give me the same kind of feelings I got when I first heard the AD2000. Not the same sound signature, but the same kind of novelty and urge to re-listen to a lot of material.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back