Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Jan 26, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #1,441 of 4,782
Worth a lot more.

DT 1990(A) are a league or two above HD660S. I tried all 3 of them HD600, HD650 and HD660S.
I personally like HD650 the most. HD660S feels a bit lifeless. The instrument presentation is nowhere as natural and realistic as DT 1990(A).
Also, bass depth and treble extension should be taken for granted as better on the DT 1990(A).
Imaging too is more precise with a better depth on 1990(A).

Only thing is, I think HD660S has better layering a.k.a. better resolution of imaging in vertical direction. Different sounds/instruments/vocals flow on top of each other.
I feel it's the other way round. I own them both and had many hours to compare. But both will stay with me. I drive them both from my Sony WM1A thigh. The HD660S really shines on the balanced output of this DAP.

Feb 4, 2018 at 11:27 PM Post #1,442 of 4,782
Hey everyone, I recently purchased the DT1990's. I am coming from an HD598 with FiiO E10k. My question is, will the E10K be enough to drive the 1990's? If I'm looking to upgrade DAC/AMP, what should I be looking at if I have about $200USD?

Feb 5, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #1,443 of 4,782
Hello everyone,

I've been using the DT1990 for about a month now and just today noticed that the right headphone was quieter than the left by around 1-2dB. I plugged my HD650s into my setup and the sound was balanced, while when I tried the DT1990 through my phone the sound was unbalanced. I switched cables and am in the process of switching earpads, any ideas on what to do before looking into warranty?

Btw other than the sound balance issue: a truly fantastic headphone, almost sad that I have to downgrade to the HD650 for now.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #1,444 of 4,782
Hello everyone,

I've been using the DT1990 for about a month now and just today noticed that the right headphone was quieter than the left by around 1-2dB. I plugged my HD650s into my setup and the sound was balanced, while when I tried the DT1990 through my phone the sound was unbalanced. I switched cables and am in the process of switching earpads, any ideas on what to do before looking into warranty?

Btw other than the sound balance issue: a truly fantastic headphone, almost sad that I have to downgrade to the HD650 for now.
Can you reproduce this issue from different sources? If your smartphone as an example does no show such imbalance, it could be a contact issue in the Jack of your amp.

Feb 5, 2018 at 7:21 PM Post #1,446 of 4,782
Hey everyone, I recently purchased the DT1990's. I am coming from an HD598 with FiiO E10k. My question is, will the E10K be enough to drive the 1990's? If I'm looking to upgrade DAC/AMP, what should I be looking at if I have about $200USD?
Hi sylhvir, welcome to Head-Fi!. Your E10k should do a decent job with the 1990's as they are fairly easy to drive for a 250 ohm can.

If you are looking for a amp/dac upgrade, what about something like a Schiit Magni 3 and Modi 2 dac, they give excellent sound quality for the sort of price you mentioned. I have the Magni 2 and Modi 2 amp and they sound very good with the 1990's, the Magni also has more than enough power to drive them with ease.

Feb 5, 2018 at 7:37 PM Post #1,447 of 4,782
DT 1990 are a fairly sensitive set of headphones. I could drive them well with my LG V20 and even with Opus #11 & Schiit Fulla 2.

But they are also transparent and resolving enough that a good DAC/AMP significantly improves upon the experience.

It is one of the few headphones that really reflect the DAC/AMP qualities so transparently.

And regarding the bass quality, B pads have a very good slam but it is still controlled. Though I prefer the bass of the Analytical pads. It is even more controlled and deep. Due to the linearity of bass response on A pads the bass depth and texture/details are much more cleaner and audible compared to A pads and imaging is super accurate too (again depends on your source/chain)

Feb 7, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #1,449 of 4,782
Can you reproduce this issue from different sources? If your smartphone as an example does no show such imbalance, it could be a contact issue in the Jack of your amp.

Yes, this issue persists through all sources. For now I have set a gain of -1.2dB to the left channel to balance it out, a bit hesitant to open up the headphones.

Feb 7, 2018 at 5:54 PM Post #1,450 of 4,782
I will suggest one thing, and you may be surprised. You may have wax causing a blockage in one of your ears, which is making one side sound louder. You should attempt using hydrogen peroxide to clean out your ears. You just lay on your side, and fill your ear with the peroxide. It will literally melt the wax. If you have wax build up, you will hear it sizzling and crackling like a deep fryer. If your ears are really backed up with wax, you may need to do each ear twice to get them completely clean. After you clean them, and empty out the wax, clean your ears with a bit of warm water. I know all about this, as I experience wax problems. I have to clean my ears every few months.

Feb 7, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #1,451 of 4,782
I will suggest one thing, and you may be surprised. You may have wax causing a blockage in one of your ears, which is making one side sound louder. You should attempt using hydrogen peroxide to clean out your ears. You just lay on your side, and fill your ear with the peroxide. It will literally melt the wax. If you have wax build up, you will hear it sizzling and crackling like a deep fryer. If your ears are really backed up with wax, you may need to do each ear twice to get them completely clean. After you clean them, and empty out the wax, clean your ears with a bit of warm water. I know all about this, as I experience wax problems. I have to clean my ears every few months.

A good guess but again, this problem goes away when I use the HD650, confirming my equipment and ears aren't the problem.

Feb 7, 2018 at 7:29 PM Post #1,452 of 4,782
Is there any cable under 100 pounds worth it to upgrade ?
Hi Armando.

To be honest there doesn't seem to be too much around, I had a look a few months ago and drew a blank, it seems to be either cheap or expensive with not much in between, this is the sort of thing you can get but as you will see it's very expensive!.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cardas-Cross-6-3mm-Mini-XLR-Headphone/dp/B01EJU9U2U

https://www.ebay.com/itm/High-End-6...Cable-Studio-AKG-Studio-MKII-Q7-/292293141588

Feb 7, 2018 at 10:39 PM Post #1,453 of 4,782
I'm comming from a m50x and a fidelio x2 and after I got my hands and ears in those german beauties OMG, my jaw dropped hard and I will never be able to put it back to its original location ever again.
The bass is unbelievable detailed, fast and, with B pads installed, very punchy and wide, but far from overwhelming.
Mids are dry, warm, fast and present, I can hear every guitar note and the fingers sliding, voices are only laid back in songs that were made to be recessed and the only thing that I don't get is why people are calling them overly bright?
Holy moly, Highs are increadibly better than my previous HPs, they are much more detailed, present, accurate, to be fair the m50x's highs are murderous compared to these, on the x2's they are a little better than the ATs but much more sibilant than the Beyers.

Soundstage is really spot on (I don't like very wide soundstage because some songs loses it's natural sound) and imaging is out of this world, I can hear every drum hit and can pinpoint the exact location where it is being played, it's like being 2 meters away from the drummer.

Comfort is pretty much nailed with those, I can wear them for how long as I want to, again, I don't get why people say that it's clamp force is very strong and uncomfortable, it's simply not true!

They are my favorite HPs so far and I got them new for 400 bucks, I couldn't be happier, my search for open back cans is over for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back