Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Aug 22, 2017 at 10:26 PM Post #1,036 of 4,782
Please do. These are being released at roughly the same price the T90s used to go for in the US when they were first released, wonder how they fare.

PS: Beyerdynamic are so stubborn. First their unconditional love for attached cables, then things got improved upon considerably with their 3.5mm ones on the 2nd gen T1 and T5, now they finally show a mini XLR in the picture...

aaaaaaaaaaand it's single entry. God damnit Beyerdynamic LOL
I agree, what is with the single jack? We can't balance the headphones unless you add another one on the other cup. Beyerdynamic is still a Mickey Mouse headphone company.

Aug 23, 2017 at 9:03 AM Post #1,038 of 4,782
Was curious to give them a good listen for a few weeks but since they don't go balanced they're out. Kinda dissapointing. I don't think one entry per side (like the T5p 2G and T1 2G) would have hurt at that price.

Aug 23, 2017 at 9:12 AM Post #1,039 of 4,782
Was curious to give them a good listen for a few weeks but since they don't go balanced they're out. Kinda dissapointing. I don't think one entry per side (like the T5p 2G and T1 2G) would have hurt at that price.

I would look at the Amiron Home instead at the same price which can be ran balanced.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #1,040 of 4,782
To all of you guys complaining about the lack of a balanced option for the DT1990, you’re totally missing the point about these headphones.

These are designed and marketed for pro-audio use where there is simply no, or very little, demand for balanced headphones. To this day I’ve never seen a mixing desk or pro-audio interface offer a balanced headphone output. It’s just not needed, nor wanted, so there’s very little point producing a headphone for the pro market that can make use of balanced inputs.

If you want a good headphone capable of balanced in this price range then go for the Amiron. It’s basically the same headphone but with a slight “HiFi” tuning.

Although I have to admit that, as somebody who does do studio work from time to time, I’m of the opinion that the idea of a balanced headphone is almost laughable. There are a hundred reasons why studios use balanced connections, but headphones are certainly not one of them.

Aug 23, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #1,043 of 4,782
Aug 23, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #1,044 of 4,782
I don't think this headphones needs a balanced connector. They are efficient, detailed, and have good balance throughout the frequency range. The bass is punchy and they have excellent PRaT. I don't think that having a balanced connection on this particular headphone will gain you much but that's my opinion. Unless you just want a balanced connector on your headphones then I can understand. They get plenty loud and you can change the tuning by changing out the ear pads with the second set that are supplied. Don't pass on a good headphone. They are definitely worthy of an audition.

Aug 23, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #1,045 of 4,782
I need balanced because my amp is best when balanced as it uses its full 4 amps inside. That's the only reason.

Aug 23, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #1,046 of 4,782
Aug 23, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #1,047 of 4,782
I need balanced because my amp is best when balanced as it uses its full 4 amps inside. That's the only reason.
The V281 has 1/4" jacks and I haven't heard that there is much difference between the balanced XLR output and the 1/4" SE output in sound quality since its a very well designed amp even if you are using just 2 of the 4 amps in SE mode. When I was in Japan a few years ago i got to listen to the V281 that a friend had and I didn't notice any difference between the balanced and SE outputs with a HD800, HE1000, and LCD-3, granted I only spent a few hours with them but to me the V281 was right up there with the Liquid Gold and DarkStar that my friend also has. The only reason i would try to run balanced is if you are looking at cable lengths of more than 3m, its where I feel that going with a balanced configuration might have some advantages over SE. Also, since the DT-1990 are fairly efficient you are not even a fraction of the power that the V281 has.

Aug 23, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #1,050 of 4,782
81-6GGwlaXL._SL1500_.jpg

Recently bought this cable for my DT1990 pros. Highly recommended is all I can say. Perfect for portable use. Sounds absolutely stunning using this cable too. https://www.amazon.com/HJ-AK7-Hybri...TF8&qid=1503517625&sr=8-7&keywords=k702+cable Good price for this

Users who are viewing this thread

Back