Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Aug 17, 2017 at 8:34 AM Post #1,021 of 4,780
Hi all, I'm wondering if someone here can tell me whether the clamping force on the DT 1990 matches the one in the HD600/650. I've gone through all (!) of the 68 pages here and I realize that it's quite comparable; but if the DT 1990 are even a nudge less clamp than the HD600 I'm seriously considering taking the plunge. Thanks!
The clamping force of the Beyer's is not bad at all and they are pretty darn comfortable with the velour pads. But the HD 650's still has a lighter clamping force from what I recall. The HD600/650 are probably two of the most comfortable full sized headphones ever made.

Aug 17, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #1,022 of 4,780
The clamping force of the Beyer's is not bad at all and they are pretty darn comfortable with the velour pads. But the HD 650's still has a lighter clamping force from what I recall. The HD600/650 are probably two of the most comfortable full sized headphones ever made.
Well, perhaps it's my head, but I actually find the clamping force on the HD600 to be practically unbearable for long listening sessions! Don't get me wrong, I love my HD600 but at the moment I'm looking to jump wagon exactly because of this issue. Of course I'm trying to tame the clamping problem with time–proven solutions even as we speak, but I'm pretty darn close to even rid myself of head-fi altogether because of this...

So the DT 1990 are tighter, right?

Aug 17, 2017 at 9:27 AM Post #1,023 of 4,780
Well, perhaps it's my head, but I actually find the clamping force on the HD600 to be practically unbearable for long listening sessions! Don't get me wrong, I love my HD600 but at the moment I'm looking to jump wagon exactly because of this issue. Of course I'm trying to tame the clamping problem with time–proven solutions even as we speak, but I'm pretty darn close to even rid myself of head-fi altogether because of this...

So the DT 1990 are tighter, right?
Wow, if the HD600's are tight to you I'm not sure the DT-1990's would be any better. I don't have a problem with the DT-1990's clamping force at all but the HD650's were barely noticeable on my head.

Aug 17, 2017 at 9:41 AM Post #1,024 of 4,780
Wow, if the HD600's are tight to you I'm not sure the DT-1990's would be any better. I don't have a problem with the DT-1990's clamping force at all but the HD650's were barely noticeable on my head.
Yeah, I know... I was advised to look at the DT 880 600 ohm Edition (not PRO) or the HD800. The latter I'd definitely like to have, but it's way out of my reach budget–wise; the former I'm not entirely sure what new things it may bring to the table compared to the HD600.

Aug 17, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #1,025 of 4,780
Yeah, I know... I was advised to look at the DT 880 600 ohm Edition (not PRO) or the HD800. The latter I'd definitely like to have, but it's way out of my reach budget–wise; the former I'm not entirely sure what new things it may bring to the table compared to the HD600.

I have the Beyer DT880 Premium (600) and I don't find it comfortable - as it places a point load on the top of your head. I have run out of headband adjustment.

The pads are nice and soft but I can't wait to remove the phones, I also find it boring especially compared to 1990 and Philips Fidelio X2.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2017 at 9:58 AM Post #1,026 of 4,780

You should try Beyer Amiron Home. They have an almost non existent clamp force and are very comfortable. I would prefer they had a harder clamp force, if I shake my head too fast they are in big risk of falling off :)

And they are very close to the DT 1990 in signature.

Aug 17, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #1,027 of 4,780
You should try Beyer Amiron Home. They have an almost non existent clamp force and are very comfortable. I would prefer they had a harder clamp force, if I shake my head too fast they are in big risk of falling off :)

And they are very close to the DT 1990 in signature.
I agree, that is about the only negative thing I can say about the Amiron at this time. Wish it had just a little more clamp, tried bending headband in a little, didn't help. Also when I got my HD650 they had too much clamp, now they are perfect, did nothing to them other than wear them.

Aug 17, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #1,028 of 4,780
Don't all the Beyer DTs have metal headbands? so you can just bend/stretch it to your comfort really... but I don't know about these new series.

Aug 17, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #1,029 of 4,780
The DT-1990's have a metal headband. I'm sure if needed it could be flexed a bit.

Aug 19, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #1,031 of 4,780
Yep, the tip of my left ear touches the foam pad where the driver is. Also I'm not sure if it is just because the clamp is stronger than I am used to or what but think I am experiencing some mild nausea when I wear these due to the pressure. It's unfortunate because I really like so much about these. I'm kind of waiting it out a bit before I make a decision. The HD 650 that I am trying out isn't bothering me at all and I can wear them for hours.

I wish the pads were a bit deeper on the 1990.

After a bit, I figured I'd ask how the 1990's are treating you? Still having any issues with the pad depth or considering getting rid of them?

Aug 19, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #1,032 of 4,780
After a bit, I figured I'd ask how the 1990's are treating you? Still having any issues with the pad depth or considering getting rid of them?

They are fantastic. I did consider getting rid of them but I tried loosening up the headband just a bit, and I guess that did the trick because I am no longer experiencing any nausea. I can still feel my ear touch the foam on the driver but I have gotten used to it and it no longer bothers me. I'm glad I stuck it out because the 1990 sound so good to me.

Aug 20, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #1,034 of 4,780
I can state that my HD600 has less clamping force than my DT1990.

Aug 21, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #1,035 of 4,780
Not to derail the thread from the DT1990, but I just fitted my HD600 with Brainwavz leather pads and things are looking better on the clamp issue. I don't know whether it's the memory foam or the thicker geometry of the pads but so far it's kinda working. And the sound got a bit tighter too! I think it's because the new pads enclose my ears better than the stock Sennheiser. Might postpone looking into the Beyers because of that.

Thanks guys for all the info you so generously offered here!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back