Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Aug 4, 2017 at 4:51 AM Post #991 of 4,756
I'm definitely interested in the 1990's I'll be getting a pair soon..

I very much doubt you'll be disappointed. These IMO would make a very nice endgame headphone for a lot of people. I'm certainly not considering moving from these anytime soon.

I'm not saying that they're the best headphone that you can buy, but when you hear what Beyer have produced for around $500, it does make you question the pricing of headphones costing thousands, at least dynamic driver headphones.

Aug 4, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #992 of 4,756
How are the mids on 1990s compared to HD 600s? I am a fan of female vocals (e.g. Adele, Norah Jones etc.). This is one thing I am not yet clear about the 1990s.

I have only heard the HD650 and the 1990's mids are not as forward, but honestly I haven't heard any situation that has left me wanting more from them.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #994 of 4,756
Every single Beyerdynamic hifi model uses the same chassis so you should hardly have any surprises...
What I'm worried about is the "surprises" when I open them up, its why I asked if anyone has opened them to do a dual entry mod. With that though can the exiting 3 pin mini-XLR be removed and changed over to a 4 pin? I have 6 4-pin mini-XLR cables for my Audeze, DT990, T1 and don't want to build a dual 3-pin if I don't have to.

Aug 4, 2017 at 7:37 PM Post #995 of 4,756
What I'm worried about is the "surprises" when I open them up, its why I asked if anyone has opened them to do a dual entry mod. With that though can the exiting 3 pin mini-XLR be removed and changed over to a 4 pin? I have 6 4-pin mini-XLR cables for my Audeze, DT990, T1 and don't want to build a dual 3-pin if I don't have to.

The biggest difference internally is the modular drivers and how fragile the internal cables are. I've opened all of three new Beyers up, had a lot of problems with the DT 1770 and found the cables and solder joints to be fragile and easily damaged if you move the cables around much. If you mod them for dual entry I suggest beefing things up to make it less fragile. Inside of the left earcup of the DT1770(almost exactly the same inside as the DT 1990, those are the connectors to the modular drivers and the other earcup simply has the headband cable. Hopefully these two pictures give you all the information you need about potentially modding them. They may have to be 3 pin.
IMG_1507.JPG

Older picture of my DT 1990 showing the driver and right side. The drivers all look the same on the DT 1770, DT 1990, and Amiron Home.
9164710.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2017 at 8:14 PM Post #996 of 4,756
@kman1211 , thanks for the pictures, its what I was looking for. Those white plugs look like the old 3-pin connectors for computer case fans and the existing entry plug looks to have more than enough space to change it over to a 4-pin mini-XLR.

Aug 4, 2017 at 9:06 PM Post #997 of 4,756
Interesting, cups are a lot less open than I'd have guessed from the exterior design..

Aug 6, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #998 of 4,756
Had these for 2 months but never really loved them, felt the bass overwhelming and the vocals laid back.. until today that I switch to the analytical pads..

And all I can say is.. WOW! These A-pads made all the differences. Clearer mid range, improved transparency, and.. I know the B-pads are meant to enhance the bass, but with the A-pads, the bass is so fast, hits so hard, very linear.. probably the best I've ever heard.

Definitely gonna spend more time with them from now on. :beyersmile:

Aug 6, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #999 of 4,756
Had these for 2 months but never really loved them, felt the bass overwhelming and the vocals laid back.. until today that I switch to the analytical pads..

And all I can say is.. WOW! These A-pads made all the differences. Clearer mid range, improved transparency, and.. I know the B-pads are meant to enhance the bass, but with the A-pads, the bass is so fast, hits so hard, very linear.. probably the best I've ever heard.

Definitely gonna spend more time with them from now on. :beyersmile:

I agree. The A pads are leaps and bounds better than the B pads in my opinion.

Aug 6, 2017 at 8:17 PM Post #1,000 of 4,756
Do any of you DT 1990 owners have issues with your ears touching the driver? I've been eyeing these for awhile, but I own a pair of Custom One Pros, and I had to swap out the stock pads for HM5 pads because my ears would touch the drivers and it was quite painful. I know the pads are different, but I'm still a bit worried that I may run into some of the same issues. Thanks!

Aug 6, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #1,001 of 4,756
Do any of you DT 1990 owners have issues with your ears touching the driver? I've been eyeing these for awhile, but I own a pair of Custom One Pros, and I had to swap out the stock pads for HM5 pads because my ears would touch the drivers and it was quite painful. I know the pads are different, but I'm still a bit worried that I may run into some of the same issues. Thanks!

Yep, the tip of my left ear touches the foam pad where the driver is. Also I'm not sure if it is just because the clamp is stronger than I am used to or what but think I am experiencing some mild nausea when I wear these due to the pressure. It's unfortunate because I really like so much about these. I'm kind of waiting it out a bit before I make a decision. The HD 650 that I am trying out isn't bothering me at all and I can wear them for hours.

I wish the pads were a bit deeper on the 1990.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2017 at 1:09 AM Post #1,002 of 4,756
I don't feel my ears touching the drivers with either pads. But I've been wearing Grados for quite a long time so my ears probably don't feel anything now :smirk:

Aug 7, 2017 at 1:13 AM Post #1,003 of 4,756
I agree. The A pads are leaps and bounds better than the B pads in my opinion.
I just don't realize why they have the B-pads pre-installed. I mean, if I was buying these for professional use and didn't know about the alternative pads (or wasn't aware of the huge differences they could make), I'd probably return them without even trying the A-pads..

For casual listening, however, I see some people may prefer the B-pads.

Aug 7, 2017 at 10:45 AM Post #1,004 of 4,756
I use my DT-1990's with the B-pads. The A-pads makes the music seem very excitable and your can hear every nuance on well recorded tracks. I can see why these pads would be used for mastering. The B-pads tone down the sharpness of the A-pads while giving you a little bit more bass while still remaining detailed. It's great that they come both sets of pads because these headphones are surely capable of producing awesome sound.

Aug 7, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #1,005 of 4,756
Asking a question without trying to look the idiot. Is there a obvious, visual way to tell the two pads apart from each other. From just looking at them? I know I have the pads on that I prefer, but am not sure which of the two they are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back