Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Dec 20, 2016 at 10:03 AM Post #571 of 4,775
So close to pulling the trigger on a pair of these,
Does anyone have an experience with the HE-400i and these? That is my current main headphone and I am wondering if the 1990PRO will either complement it or be enough of an upgrade to warrant getting?
I hear it has a reasonable sound stage, which is an area where the 400i is lacking.
Has anyone used them for multiplayer fps gaming at all, if so, how are things like the positional audio? I spend probably 50% of my time gaming and the other 50% listening to music.

Dec 20, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #572 of 4,775
  So close to pulling the trigger on a pair of these,
Does anyone have an experience with the HE-400i and these? That is my current main headphone and I am wondering if the 1990PRO will either complement it or be enough of an upgrade to warrant getting?
I hear it has a reasonable sound stage, which is an area where the 400i is lacking.
Has anyone used them for multiplayer fps gaming at all, if so, how are things like the positional audio? I spend probably 50% of my time gaming and the other 50% listening to music.

I have had both headphones...

The 1990PRO (in my opinion) would be a great compliment to the HE-400i. The 1990PRO has a clean sound, a lot more sparkle in the highs than the HE-400i. While also sporting a much wider sound stage. (not crazy wide, but wider than the 400i) As far as sub bass goes the HE-400i will win in the quantity department, while the 1990 will win in quality. And lastly, the mids are far too subjective for me to comment on between the two headphones. (maybe someone else could chime in?)

I'm also in the same gaming boat, so I have used the 1990 Pro's for multiple games like CS, Arma, etc and I'd say the positional audio is pretty darn good. I nearly crapped myself a couple times while playing Arma 2 DayZ Mod with the 1990s, shots are scary sounding...

So overall it's up to you, do you want a brighter headphone with a wider sound stage to compliment your HE-400i's? 

Dec 20, 2016 at 11:16 PM Post #575 of 4,775

Thanks for your input mate, think I am probably going to buy them tonight.
How is the comfort compared to the 400i?

The comfort between the two are pretty much the same, no complaints from myself about either of the two. The ear pads might be a tiny bit tougher on the 1990PRO, but not uncomfortable by any means.

Dec 21, 2016 at 3:04 AM Post #576 of 4,775
The more I listen the more I'm convinced that the DT1990 Pro with the 'Balanced' ear pads is the ideal headphone for me. The Beyerdynamic house sound is there, though refined a bit. The treble seems to be sorted out, the bass is controlled/focused and not hyped, and mids are balanced nicely in between (similar to the DT880 Premium, only a much better execution with a larger soundstage). Everything I've played through them just sounds 'right'.

I guess we'll see if this comment is a 'honeymoon' effect or a fair assessment. I'm thinking the latter is correct.

Though very different in a great many ways the DT1990 Pro's don't cast my Sennheiser HD650's in a bad light. I love the HD650's relaxed, dynamic, and detailed sound (balanced, through a Jotunheim). I often end up with my eyes closed and lost in the music. The DT1990 Pro's see me enjoying music from a somewhat analytical perspective while leaning toward a warm sound. They are fun to listen to and they don't fatigue my ears. There's room for both, and both excel in different ways.

Dec 21, 2016 at 5:25 AM Post #577 of 4,775
What solid state amps are people enjoying so far with the DT1990? I'm currently running an RNHP which seems to be a good pairing but maybe its a tad too bright with these headphones. I'm finding long multi-hour listening sessions to be a bit fatiguing. 

Dec 21, 2016 at 6:34 AM Post #578 of 4,775
What solid state amps are people enjoying so far with the DT1990? I'm currently running an RNHP which seems to be a good pairing but maybe its a tad too bright with these headphones. I'm finding long multi-hour listening sessions to be a bit fatiguing. 

Yesterday night I ran them from a Fiio E12a portable amp. It uses Muses opamps. I was amazed by the sound this pairing created. The Muses are known for a warm signature. Source was Ipod Classic via LOD.

Dec 21, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #579 of 4,775

I'm using the amp section of the Chord Mojo (I'm also using the DAC section as well, of course). I find the combination of the Mojo and the DT1990 absolute heaven. Detailed, musical, and thoroughly enchanting.

I've not heard that much in the way of "Summit-Fi", but what I have heard has failed to live up to my expectations, and with this combo I see absolutely no need to go further. End game, at least for the moment.

Dec 21, 2016 at 8:50 PM Post #580 of 4,775

I'm listening to my DT 1990 Pro's through a Schiit Jotunheim SS amp and I love what I'm hearing. Sounds balanced to my ears - not fatiguing in the least.

Dec 22, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #581 of 4,775
Listening to one of the first record I ever bought at work right now. It is Yellow Brick Road from Elton John. It's the remaster as flac from the Ipod Classic Fiio E12a combo. The DT1990 is absolutely stunning. I can only recommend them right now. Before this album I plowed through YELLO STELLA and TOUCH. Sensational, saved my day and helped me doing the job.

Dec 22, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #582 of 4,775
It is Yellow Brick Road from Elton John. It's the remaster as flac from the Ipod Classic Fiio E12a combo.
Before this album I plowed through YELLO STELLA and TOUCH.

Enjoy 
beyersmile.png

The YELLO must have sounded awesome, and of course, all of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road must sound awesome.

Dec 22, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #583 of 4,775
I'm using the amp section of the Chord Mojo (I'm also using the DAC section as well, of course). I find the combination of the Mojo and the DT1990 absolute heaven. Detailed, musical, and thoroughly enchanting.

I've not heard that much in the way of "Summit-Fi", but what I have heard has failed to live up to my expectations, and with this combo I see absolutely no need to go further. End game, at least for the moment.

Would love to try the Mojo, but I find it's for factor on the brink of being useless. It will not really form an organic stock with any dap.

Dec 22, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #584 of 4,775
Would love to try the Mojo, but I find it's for factor on the brink of being useless. It will not really form an organic stock with any dap.

Well, I wouldn't consider DT1990s as the kind of headphones I would use in a portable situation - The DT1770s maybe, just.

You're right about the Mojo - it would not work as a portable device strapped to a DAP for me. However I use the Mojo as a small desktop solution connected to my iMac via optical. For me it works perfectly for that as my desk is usually full of music production gear, meaning no space for large amps or DACs.

I think that you have to consider that the Mojo is just a great audio product, and it's up to you how you choose to use it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back