Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Dec 3, 2016 at 9:34 PM Post #541 of 4,790
Wow! Thanks to everyone who has pitched in thus far! I have a set of 1990s that will be soon in my possession. Reading everything in this forum has only increased my anticipation. Currently, my pair is with ZeosPantera. I had them sent to him first before coming to me for a couple of reasons. 1. He has helped me considerably, and I genuinely wanted to share my new purchase with him, audio enthusiast to audio enthusiast. And 2. His reviews are quite extensive, and there are currently no English-spoken video reviews yet of the 1990s.

His reviews also tend to have a huge influence on the demand for each respective piece of audio equipment. Good news for Beyerdynamic. Bad news for those wanting to get a pair I suppose? Haha. Either way, it'll be nice to see his input once he gets his review out. I may also do my own write-up and/or video review once I actually get them.

I feel like there has been overwhelming input in this thread on these cans, but I just keep wanting more! Let's keep 'em coming!

Dec 3, 2016 at 11:08 PM Post #543 of 4,790
How's the build quality compared to the DT880? I was underwhelmed with the latter, and would hope the more expensive DT1990 be more substantial.

The 1990 is far better than the 880 is every regard, with the one possible exception being long-listen comfort. The 1990 is still plenty comfortable though. If you like the 880, you will more than love the 1990.

As for build, the 1990 is more substantial and beefy

Dec 3, 2016 at 11:31 PM Post #544 of 4,790
Is there anyone in this thread who has a ZTE Axon 7? Or at the very least, familiar with the Axon 7's capabilities? It's known for its audio performance. I've had it for a couple months, and I can attest to this. The audio output is phenomenal. However, I recently discovered a very curious performance issue.

I have a pair of 250-ohm Beyer DT 990 Pro. The Axon 7 is known to be able to drive headphones, and I mean really push power. This seems to hold true, as the Axon 7 drives the 990s to above-listenable levels. I have also used the AKG K712s, which are known to be very power hungry, and the Axon 7 actually powered them to a decent level. Not to any amazing level, but decent.  There are also plenty of sources that fall right in line with this. Here is one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTsg7EyYKFM

I have to mention one more thing before I describe the oddity. The 990s are very sibilant to my ears. On most songs, it's basically razor blade highs. This ranges from 192kbps - flac files all across the board. Yes, I know there are still about a hundred more variables to consider, but I'm a simple guy. Phone + headphones = music. Typically, 320kbps mp3s. That's my ideal setup. I do, however have a Fiio A3 (formerly E11K). Out of curiosity, I decided to power the 990s through the A3. The difference was pretty big. The razor blade highs mellowed out drastically, and the overall sound signature was much more pleasant.

I'm wondering if the 1990s will respond as well as the 990s, but directly into the Axon 7 without the use of external power. And also, how they will respond to the A3. They use the tesla drivers, so maybe that will be beneficial in some way?

Dec 6, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #546 of 4,790
Had the DT 1990 PRO's for about 4 days now and wow!  Just love the sound, comfort, looks, the extra's, everything. 

Compared to my HD650's they are far superior, wider, more defined, detailed and with a crispness that is intoxicating, but yet have a lushness that stops them being harsh. Putting the Senns back on after the Beyers everything shrinks and dulls.

Compared to my Alpha Dogs, they are again far superior, same as above although the 'Dogs are closer to the detail level but without the crisp lushness - Crushness?? 
blink.gif
 The 'Dog's do get fatiguing for me on long listens, not so with the DT 1990's.  Waaay comfier too due to the reduced weight and I'm a sucker for velour pads.

I also got the Custom Studio's at the same time for work, definite family sound going on, but the Customs are brighter and way less refined without the Crushness, yup I'm making that a thing.  But, I'm still impressed with them for their price point.  I found the DT 1990's analytical pads are the same bass levels as the standard Customs's click setting (one in/smallest hole) with the standard DT 1990's pads similar to the first level of bass boost on the customs (2 clicks in/2 holes)  But the quality of bass is very different, tight vs a bit flabby - DT 1990's vs Custom.

I actually like both sets of pads on the DT 1990's, with the analytical giving the ability to see further into the mix, and the standard is just out and out immersion.  

Been through all of my amps and DAC's (benchmark DAC1, Vali, WA3, CS600 - DAC1, Modi, Octave MKi, Hex) and they sound great on them all, but I'll give the nod to full tube on the WA3 or CS600 with the NOS dacs.  But I am a tube/NOS head, so no surprises there.  The Hex/CS600/DT 1990 combo is gobsmaking.

The store I got the Beyer cans from have all sorts, Audez'e, ATH's, Senns, Beyer, Shure and more and quite a few of the top ends of all of them.  Out of all cans the HD 800 S's were my favorites, not like listening to cans at all!  But the DT 1990's held their own in terms of frequency balance and tone, not as much detail, but not bad, and more closed in without the spacial placing of the HD 800 S's.  But I did prefer the Beyers to the Senns on heavy electronica, just had more impact.  And at just over half the price I was sold.  And those 2 were my pick of the bunch, the Audez'e's were good, but a bit too heavy and I don't fancy changing all of my amping to really drive, so there is still a HD 800 S in long sight
L3000.gif

Dec 7, 2016 at 1:50 AM Post #548 of 4,790
They did, waited a couple of weeks before I could demo both, although I'm not sure it was quite a fair fight.  The Amiron's were NIB and the DT 1990's had been on display breaking in.

The similarities between the two were greater than their differences, with the Amirons having a bit more of a laid back presentation, but there was a bit of a sharp upper treble with the Amiron's.  Not too sure if they just needed break in, or had a bit of T90 to them?  I suspect break in.

Still, pretty similar to my ears, but it wasn't long before the Amiron's were back on the stand and the 1990's getting played and demoed against all others.  The 1990's all up just sounded more honest.  I was quite surprised as I thought it would be the Amiron's I would like coming off HD650's, but nope.

Plus the look of the 1990's spank the Amiron's.  Black on black with the laser cut grils and a wee bit of mesh showing, just sexy!  The Amiron's just come off a bit blando. In addition to a better sound (to me), sexier looking (to anyone, I mean come on!) The DT 1990's come with 2 sets of pads and 2 cables.  More money yeah, but a better package.

Dec 7, 2016 at 8:04 AM Post #549 of 4,790

I actually like both sets of pads on the DT 1990's, with the analytical giving the ability to see further into the mix, and the standard is just out and out immersion.  

Could you give me some more impressions about Balanced pads vs Analytical pads? I've read reviews on the internet and it seems many people prefer Analytical to Balanced due to bass quantity and neutrality. Do you feel Analytical pads too neutral/monitor-like for daily music listening? What is the strong point of Balanced pads?

Dec 7, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #550 of 4,790
G'day yall,

just last week I finally ordered myself a HD650s after a very long search for my first HiFi headphones, only to find myself surprised by a pretty good special offer for DT1990s on Saturday. So now I've got two new headphones lying around here... things happen.
But now I'm faced with a curious problem: Originally I found the HD650s a bit wanting in the "holy crap, I'm immersed in a completely different world of acoustic detail"-department with its laid-back sound signature.
In that regard the DT1990s definitely in a class of its own I'd say, I'm constantly amazed by the nuances they bring out in songs I've listened to dozen of times before, for example with audience reactions on live recordings... where there was only a carpet of sound before, there now is a very neatly organized stage.
But for some reason, I still enjoy listening to the HD650s more at the moment, just because they seem to play most music somehow livelier and more welcoming than the DT1990s.
So now I have to find out why that is and would appreciate your input. Is it because I'm used to less detailed, more laid-back sound from years of cheaper headphone use, have learned to enjoy that and might just have to get used to the DT1990s? Is it because my Xonar Essence STX (yes, I know... but given a lack of funds for a $500 DAC, it should do) likes the HD650s more? Or is it because the DT1990s still need to be broken in, which I'm not even sure is a real thing?

In any case, I've still got almost a month of listening left until I have to decide which one to keep, so I'll keep trying them out and comparing.

Dec 7, 2016 at 2:34 PM Post #551 of 4,790
I'm looking to move up from my DT880's and was initially set on HE-400i's until I saw these come along. Does anyone have experience comparing the two directly?

Dec 7, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #552 of 4,790
I'm real late to the party, but y'all realize that the DT-990 is only partially vented, right? 

There's a big disc of felt-faced plastic in the back of the cup with a quarter-size hole in it. 

Dec 7, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #553 of 4,790
I'm real late to the party, but y'all realize that the DT-990 is only partially vented, right? 

There's a big disc of felt-faced plastic in the back of the cup with a quarter-size hole in it. 

Are you talking about the DT1990?

Dec 7, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #554 of 4,790

Could you give me some more impressions about Balanced pads vs Analytical pads? I've read reviews on the internet and it seems many people prefer Analytical to Balanced due to bass quantity and neutrality. Do you feel Analytical pads too neutral/monitor-like for daily music listening? What is the strong point of Balanced pads?

I need a bit more time with both, but I can see how some people might be saying the analytical might not have enough bass, and the balanced has too much bass, but for me I like having the option.  

I'm not a bass head, but I do like a strong present bass, for example I hated the original K701's as there was no bass at all, so my daily preference for now is the balanced.  For me I will probably use the analytical for when I'm mixing my own tracks.

As the main difference between both pads is the number of vents in the rear, I'm pretty sure the balanced pads could be modded to reduce the bass slightly by taping of some vents.  I think there might be a difference in depth of the padding, but I would say the vents are the main factor in bass amount?

Might have a play with both pads and some tapes and report.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back