Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Dec 22, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #586 of 4,768
  What solid state amps are people enjoying so far with the DT1990? I'm currently running an RNHP which seems to be a good pairing but maybe its a tad too bright with these headphones. I'm finding long multi-hour listening sessions to be a bit fatiguing. 

Which pads are you using? I found the balanced pads to be a little bit fatiguing, but I can listen with the analytical pads for hours without any problems.

I'm running a Schiit Asgard 2 here, with some inline resistors on the output (which help fill in the bass just a touch more, while making the bass ever so slightly looser -- I think this is what is referred to as "bass bloom"). With the analytical pads on the DT1990, I couldn't be happier with the sound. Honestly it sounds better and more balanced to me than any other headphone I've heard, including most of the modern flagships. At first I thought this was just honeymoon euphoria talking, but listening over the past couple months has only served to bolster my initial impressions.

As for the Asgard 2, I can't say enough good things about that amp -- it is essentially perfect for me. Solid state, neutral sound, dead quiet noise floor, built like a tank, and able to drive just about anything that I'd want to listen to. I do wish it was a bit more efficient on power consumption, but it is nice having it serve as a small space heater when the snow flies!

Dec 23, 2016 at 2:52 AM Post #587 of 4,768
I'm using the balanced pads at the moment.

Has anyone considered having their 1990 recabled with a 4 pin mini XLR to to use on balanced amps? I'm wondering if it would be worth the hassle. 

Link to a company that does it: http://www.zynsonix.com/Headphone-Recabling-Service_c_7.html

I imagine the process would be very similar to this: http://www.diyaudioblog.com/2012/04/balancing-akg-k702-headphone.html

Dec 23, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #589 of 4,768
So I sent my defective pair back to SonicElectronix for replacement and their telling me that the DT1990 has been discontinued.  Anyone know if this is true?

Total bollocks is what they're giving you, unless somebody has got mixed up and thinks the DT1990 is the DT990. Even then I don't think the DT990 is actually EOL.

Edit: the european beyer website is still showing the DT1990 for sale

http://europe.beyerdynamic.com/shop/hah/headphones-and-headsets/studio-and-stage.html

It would be crazy for Beyer to discontinue what is a brilliant and very recent headphone.

Dec 23, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #590 of 4,768
Total bollocks is what they're giving you, unless somebody has got mixed up and thinks the DT1990 is the DT990. Even then I don't think the DT990 is actually EOL.

I know.  I told them that as well.  Definitely my last purchase from them.  Took them 3 days to process my return after they received them, then they issue a store credit instead of refunding my money.

Here's a link where they say they're discontinued.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_121803_Beyerdynamic-DT-1990-PRO-DT1990PRO.html

Dec 23, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #591 of 4,768
This has to be a mistake. There is no way they discontinued this headphone. I feel like its only been out for a few months. If so, I have a feeling those already sold suddenly went up in value. 

Edit: They have be reduced to $500 on Amazon. Should we be worried about this?

Dec 23, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #593 of 4,768
I emailed Beyer about this. I'll see what they say but I highly doubt that it has been discontinued already. Maybe it being price reduced but I highly doubt its being axed so quickly. Other than the one Amazon seller that has it for $500, it is full price everywhere else and seems to be in stock as well. 

Dec 23, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #594 of 4,768
  I emailed Beyer about this. I'll see what they say but I highly doubt that it has been discontinued already. Maybe it being price reduced but I highly doubt its being axed so quickly. Other than the one Amazon seller that has it for $500, it is full price everywhere else and seems to be in stock as well. 

Yeah I know.  The one listing it for $493 is an authorized dealer.  I'm still deciding between these and the Amiron Home.

Dec 23, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #595 of 4,768
I'm gonna say for now that this is probably a mistake. If Beyer tells me otherwise, I'll update here but ya, I highly doubt that this is true. Companies rarely kill off products so quickly. Surely they would try to reduce the price first. I mean, its been out less than 6 months. 

Dec 23, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #596 of 4,768
I know.  I told them that as well.  Definitely my last purchase from them.  Took them 3 days to process my return after they received them, then they issue a store credit instead of refunding my money.

Here's a link where they say they're discontinued.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_121803_Beyerdynamic-DT-1990-PRO-DT1990PRO.html

My feeling is that Sonicelectronix have discontinued stocking them, and not that Beyerdynamic have discontinued them as a product line.

As for Amazon having them for $500 dollars, well here in Switzerland they're available for, and were always available for, 539CHF including Sales Tax, and given that the Swiss Frank is basically at parity with the Dollar then it pretty much matches.

Dec 23, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #597 of 4,768
My feeling is that Sonicelectronix have discontinued stocking them, and not that Beyerdynamic have discontinued them as a product line.

As for Amazon having them for $500 dollars, well here in Switzerland they're available for, and were always available for, 539CHF including Sales Tax, and given that the Swiss Frank is basically at parity with the Dollar then it pretty much matches.

Here's what they sent me in the email.

We regret to inform that we’re unable to replace your item as it has
been discontinued by the manufacturer. Despite our efforts, we’re unable
to source this product any longer. We apologize for this inconvenience,
although please allow us to alternatively satisfy you.

Dec 23, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #599 of 4,768
Now that I need to order another pair I need some opinions from anyone that's heard these, the Amiron Home and the T1 2nd Gen.  Should I just jump to the top since I can get them for $798 or is the better value with one of the other two?  

I'd never heard the Beyer house sound until the DT1990 for the hour or so that I listened to them and really enjoyed them.

Dec 23, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #600 of 4,768
  Now that I need to order another pair I need some opinions from anyone that's heard these, the Amiron Home and the T1 2nd Gen.  Should I just jump to the top since I can get them for $798 or is the better value with one of the other two?  

I'd never heard the Beyer house sound until the DT1990 for the hour or so that I listened to them and really enjoyed them.

The T1 gen 2 is more articulate and resolving than the DT 1990 but not quite as warm and musical imho, treble isn't quite as smooth either. It is the better headphone, but the T1.2 is more amp choosy and the Amiron and DT 1990 will likely sound better on more systems due to their darker sound signature. From what I gather the Amiron is similar to the DT 1990 but more comfortable, weighs less, and a bit darker and smoother sounding. I'm personally thinking of selling my T1.2 and getting the Amiron(or the DT 1990 again) sometime due to my system not being the best match for the T1(it's more suited lower-ohm to 300 ohm headphones).

The Tesla's sound different than the older variety of Beyers, different house sound almost. I would say there are likely four reiterations of the Beyer house sound in terms of tonality, etc. Not really tuning in terms of darker, warmth, and brightness(Beyer is all over the place here). The first being the aluminum-driver DT 48 and family. Then the DT 100 and kin. Then the modern DT Beyers(DT 880/990, DT 150, etc.). And finally the Tesla's. The newest Tesla drivers found in the DT 1770, 1990, and the Amiron(I believe, have yet to hear the Amiron sadly) are the most musical and enjoyable Beyers made today imho. So far I like the original aluminum driver Beyers(a little modding required imho, resonance and vibration control mainly) and the Tesla 2.0 Beyers the best. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back