Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Dec 7, 2016 at 11:06 PM Post #556 of 4,801
I already wrote about the 1990 after my impressions I got at the CanJam Europe 2016 a few pages before. I liked them a lot and so I bought them even with all the other equipment already in the house.

I am mixing and mastering mostly soundscapes for a theatre nearby, record audiobooks with some authors I know well and music with a choir I am friendly with as well a bunch of bands mostly from a 50's background. I don't do that for a living, but I always give the finishing touch to a mix at a professional studio with the help of the owner who is a mastering engineer.

I have a Sennheiser HD 600 since its release and use it as my main headphone for this purpose. For this I even like it better than my HD 800 and Stax SR-007. Don't get me wrong, both are better headphones. To understand why I choose the HD 600 mostly I want to refer to a brilliant thread at gearslutz from the wonderful Audiovisjon about his search for a new near/midfield monitor. I came to a similar conclusion, there are exceptional loudspeakers out there like the Barefoot mm27 highlighting even the smallest nuances. But this may lead you to put hours of work into things nobody will recognise in the final mix. That's why I prefer a neutral and coherent speaker showing me the errors of a mix in a way I never lose track of the whole sound. I use Geithain RL944K1 as speakers because of their ability to bloom on a very short range. In the studio we have ATC SCM45A Pro, Geithain RL 901K among others, but these two are the workhorses.

As a music lover I clearly prefer the HD 800 and Stax. Both are measured and equalised with a head amp from HD Klassik's [size=small]Ingo Schmidt-Lucas (only available in Germany right now). But for mastering? Just too much info for my brain. The HD 600 is revealing, is neutral, is clear, but always with a, let's say it this way, a relaxed and laid back attitude. From my first hours of listening with the DT1990 Pro may be able to deliver what the HD 600 does, but with [/size]the tension of Usain Bolt in the starting block of the Olympic 100m final. I did not compare it directly to my HD 600 yet, but I know this headphone very well. What I did today was a comparison of the balanced and analytical earpads.

I listened to some great and some not-so-great recordings. Great recordings are wonderful to put a smile on your face if you are enjoying a new piece of equipment, but the faults of lesser efforts are more interesting if you want to know how the presentation of these weaknesses is. Take Robyn & La Bagatelle Magique, modern production with a difficult voice and lots of synths and effects. Some tracks work very well, the drum from Lose Control is brilliant, snappy AND bold, but others seems to be from another session or studio. Tell You (Today) sounds way flatter, the synthetic trumpets sound like a Cherry Coke Zero tastes. Overall the DT1990 still sounds enjoyable, these tracks are tough nuts with the Stax. With tracks like these it is easy to understand why many people will love the balance earpads more than the analytical. The added warmth is more than welcome here. A masterpiece of engineering is Massive Attack's Mezzanine. Tremendous and thunderous bass, superb rendering of the voices. With the balanced pads I come closer to sound I know from acquaintances with reasonable priced speakers placed a little too close to the wall. Nice, but slightly wrong. With narrators this gets even clearer, especially if you know the speaker personally. The lower registers are a bit fuller than they should be. I bet you can adapt to that so that your mix does not turn out to be a little bass shy, but I definitely will stick with the analytical. Way closer to the truth and easier to transfer to other systems.

What the Beyerdynamic does really well is telling me the "shape" of a sound. Engineers will know what I mean. If you are working on a mix you will often change certain aspects of a sound, like the attack, transients, compression, whatever. My RL944K1 are excellent in this regard. Many speakers I know are either dry or full sounding. Dry speakers have tremendous punch, but a double bass turns into a bit of an on/off thing. The Geithains have incredible control about how to start, accelerate and stop a sound. The DT1990 is good at this, I won't say similar, this is something time will tell. But I listened to an old Denon CD "National Percussion Group of Kenya - Roots!! African Drums". In one piece the group starts to jump and the bare feet land on a hard surface. The 1990 renders this very realistic. The small African drums have incredible attack, especially hit with a piece of wood. All well here. Shye Ben Tzur, Jonny Greenwood and the Rajasthan Express - Junun has enormous drive, lots of fast percussion, horns and chanting. The 1990 delivers.

I did not listen to classical music today. I focused on the comparison of the two pads and thus used material with a focus in the lower octaves. I found the changing of the pads doable, but nothing I want to complete more often than necessary. For me as an engineer I clearly prefer the analytical pads, because I think the transfer of my mix to other systems will be easier with them. I will measure both in the future, but this is something for 2017. As an audio enthusiast I can understand everyone using the balanced pads, especially for friends of electronic music.

Dec 8, 2016 at 1:15 AM Post #557 of 4,801
Very much mirrors my experience, but better explanation, detail and wording, and with more experience to boot.  
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 14, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #558 of 4,801
Had a bit of time with both sets of pads now, and for very long listening sessions > 2 hours I prefer the analytical pads.  The reduced bass pressure just makes it more comfortable for the long haul.  Although the bass amount is reduced I find it more defined, tight & realistic than the balanced pads.

As before, for an all out blast the balanced pads are fun, especially for electronic.  But overall I will probably stick with the analytical, best overall sound and great for long sessions and means that I'm not constantly pad swapping.

Still loving the cans :)

Dec 16, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #561 of 4,801
Just got these, with the balanced pads, can hear the refinement, layering, clarity and boomy bass. With analytical pads, totally blown away. I can really all the characteristics of the track, not only hear but I really feel the records, clearly aware of where the sound comes from; also turned out many tracks I have were so badly recored. The bass is not worse, but better revealed with enough punch. Guess this is what the sound engineers aim at and I do not find it boring at all, I love it, love this transparency so much.

Everything I praised the Oppo PM-3 regarding clarity, neutrality has been washed away, it must go now though I did like it very much for its portablity; on the go with me now is either wireless cans (yet to find a decent one) or IEMs.

During changing the pads, I messed up with one of the analytical pads, have not found any sonic problem but I think I need to get a new one/pair. Has anybody contacted the beyer service team with the same problem yet?

Thanks,
Linh

Dec 16, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #562 of 4,801
I had to return mine because the leather on the headband was pulling out of the left plastic cover where the gimbal slides up.  Plus my left cup was popping/clicking whenever it was moved.  Loved the sound and hopefully the replacement pair won't have any QC issues.

Dec 16, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #563 of 4,801
  I had to return mine because the leather on the headband was pulling out of the left plastic cover where the gimbal slides up.  Plus my left cup was popping/clicking whenever it was moved.  Loved the sound and hopefully the replacement pair won't have any QC issues.

Sorry to hear that, I really know the feeling of waiting in that case but maybe you were just a bit unlucky and the replacement should be fine. Based on your profile picture, I guess you own/owned a pair of PM1 or PM2, don''t you? How do the sound compare to the DT1990 in your opinion? I was actually choosing between the PM2 (refurbised at reduced price) and the DT1990, got the latter and very happy but still so curious about the Oppo. Thanks

Dec 16, 2016 at 5:09 PM Post #564 of 4,801

Sorry to hear that, I really know the feeling of waiting in that case but maybe you were just a bit unlucky and the replacement should be fine. Based on your profile picture, I guess you own/owned a pair of PM1 or PM2, don''t you? How do the sound compare to the DT1990 in your opinion? I was actually choosing between the PM2 (refurbised at reduced price) and the DT1990, got the latter and very happy but still so curious about the Oppo. Thanks

Actually it's the Audio Zenith PMx2's and I have yet to find a headphone that can match it.  Understand I haven't tried many Hi end headphones but I must say the most balanced headphone I've heard to date.  The DT1990 is on the warmer side compared to it but I really enjoyed them for the hour I had with them before sending them back.  

Dec 17, 2016 at 1:22 AM Post #565 of 4,801

Same here - the mini XLR connector in the left cup seems loose - it's not solid like my DT1770s. It's liveable with at the moment, but they'll be going back for repair in the new year, or when I get bored of them. I'm enjoying them too much at the moment to let them go.

Dec 17, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #566 of 4,801
Picked up a pair of these since I totally love my DT1770's.

What can I say? They sound beautiful. Lovely bass, smooth rich midrange, and fresh, crispy treble. Just balanced top to bottom with good imaging and soundstage in a lovely, comfortable set of cans. I second those who talk about the lovely musicality of this new series of phones by Bayer. They are just rich and beautiful with non-fatiguing highs but they don't fall into the trap of having too much subdued treble to get there either. This is a great all rounder set of headphones, everything is sounding great through them.

And I really am appreciating their sound with the analytical pads, when I thought I would only like the balanced ones.

Home run Bayer! The idea was to keep only one of the two (DT1770/DT1990) but both are just great. They are pretty similar to one another, so I hope to get rid of one eventually but it's not going to be an easy decision.

Dec 18, 2016 at 12:39 AM Post #567 of 4,801
I'm actually surprised, but i must say I prefer the analytical pads with the DT1990.

I'd consider myself a bass-head (which is why I thought I'd like the balanced pads better), but the analytical pads just sound better overall.

They seem to resolve more detail, cleaner, faster, but still hard hitting. The bass is still very present and impactful, but no extra bloat.

The balanced pads seem to create a little bass bloat/make them slower sounding.

Dec 18, 2016 at 6:52 AM Post #568 of 4,801
What kind of music did you tried them with? Thanks.

Dec 20, 2016 at 2:52 AM Post #570 of 4,801
I recently purchased the DT1990 Pro's without having had an opportunity to demo them (couldn't find them locally). Given the fairly consistent comments here and elsewhere I was pretty confident that they'd be a good fit. I really like the Beyerdynamic 'house sound' in general and have owned a few sets over the years (DT 250 /250ohm, DT 990 Pro, DT 880 Pro, and, more recently, DT 880 Premium /600ohm). Each has its limiting factors but by and large all provided fantastic sound at a very reasonable price.

Though the DT 250's don't have much common ground here I must say that I just plain love this headphone. Very neutral and unflattering without sounding cold.

I'll limit my comments to the 1990's 'B pads' as most of my listening was with these. All listening was done with the 1990's plugged into a Schiit Jotunheim amp.

The DT 990 Pro's mids were always a bit more recessed than I'd like and could be a bit sibilant at times but they're fun to listen through and hand a nice soundstage. The DT 880 Pro's exhibited sibilance similar to the 990 Pro's but they sounded more balanced - mids not quite as recessed and a bit less bass. The soundstage was less spacious but still enjoyable. The DT 880 Premiums were, for my liking, the best of three. I still preferred the more spacious soundstage of the 990 Pro's but the treble was a bit smoother than both the 990 Pro's and the 880 Pro's. I'm not treble sensitive and so the 8K treble peak has never been a problem for me.

As users began to post comments on their DT 1990 Pro's I could tell that these were going to appeal to me. What I gleaned from most comments was that the 1990 Pro's provided a similar soundstage to the 990 Pro's and a more balanced frequency response than the 880 Pro's/Premium's with better dynamics and a less pronounced treble peak. These seemed by description to be everything I wanted out of the 880 Premium's. My initial impressions of the 1990's is that they a far more than a 'better DT 880'. The DT 1990's are clear and articulate, and resolve an amazing level of detail.

I can say with reasonable certainty that the DT 1990 Pro's and the Sennheiser HD650's are the only headphones I will ever need. Want - now that's another matter altogether.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back