Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Jan 1, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #1,384 of 4,782
Lol, well I was dreaming too until 2 months ago, I managed to pick up a mint 1 year old example example for less than half price, so you never know!, anyway what about the Darkvoice?, that is a very good amp for a fraction of the Elise, also it will drive the 1990's with ease, I rarely go past the 9 o'clock position with my DV. DSC_0199.JPG

Jan 1, 2018 at 4:20 PM Post #1,385 of 4,782
Lol, well I was dreaming too until 2 months ago, I managed to pick up a mint 1 year old example example for less than half price, so you never know!, anyway what about the Darkvoice?, that is a very good amp for a fraction of the Elise, also it will drive the 1990's with ease, I rarely go past the 9 o'clock position with my DV.
Nice. Yeah I have been looking at the sale forums more and more. Really like the design of the bigger tubes on the darkvoice and the Elise.

Jan 1, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #1,388 of 4,782
So how safe is the darkvoice? I saw a thread on another site about how you may need to store a fire extinguisher near it at all times.
They can get quite hot depending on what tubes you're using, the 6080 type power tube (straight sided and smaller than the 6AS7G) runs hotter than the 6AS7G type, (most of the heat comes from the power tube at the back), also using a socket saver helps to cool it down a bit, but I have never had any problems with mine. Here is a link to the Darkvoice tube rolling thread, if you are interested this should give you all the info you will need on the DV.
https://head-fi.org/threads/darkvoice-336i-336se-tuberolling-partii.348833/

Jan 2, 2018 at 2:56 AM Post #1,389 of 4,782
They can get quite hot depending on what tubes you're using, the 6080 type power tube (straight sided and smaller than the 6AS7G) runs hotter than the 6AS7G type, (most of the heat comes from the power tube at the back), also using a socket saver helps to cool it down a bit, but I have never had any problems with mine. Here is a link to the Darkvoice tube rolling thread, if you are interested this should give you all the info you will need on the DV.
https://head-fi.org/threads/darkvoice-336i-336se-tuberolling-partii.348833/
Awesome, thanks.

Jan 7, 2018 at 5:25 AM Post #1,390 of 4,782
Hello
Im new to this forum but i have been checking out this topic for a while.
I just bought myself a pair of these (DT 1990 pro) and i have a question about dac\amp.
Now i have a NAD D1050 and the sound was a big upgrade from my (DT 770 Pros).
The question is do i need a headphone amp while im using the NAD just as a DAC ?
And if so which amp ? With Tubes ?

Jan 7, 2018 at 8:22 AM Post #1,391 of 4,782
Hello
Im new to this forum but i have been checking out this topic for a while.
I just bought myself a pair of these (DT 1990 pro) and i have a question about dac\amp.
Now i have a NAD D1050 and the sound was a big upgrade from my (DT 770 Pros).
The question is do i need a headphone amp while im using the NAD just as a DAC ?
And if so which amp ? With Tubes ?

Not sure you would need it, since the NAD has a headphone amplifier built in (obviously), but the higher impedance of the dt1990 (250 ohm) could benefit from a good OTL tube amp, like the Project Horizon from Garage1217. It's hard to find the output power specs for the NAD online, but if you think it sounds good, then I wouldn't spend the extra money unless you just want to see how tubes would sound. I've been using the ALO Pan Am with my Beyers, and it certainly adds a bit of bloom. However, if you are not wanting to use the NAD as a headphone amp, then you could start with something from Schiit, even the Magni 3 or Vali 2 would power it well.

Jan 8, 2018 at 7:13 PM Post #1,394 of 4,782
Hey guys, just got a pair. They sound absolutely fantastic, love em! Though, one minor issue - when I shake or turn my head, i hear some creaking/rattling in both earpeaces. Have you got the same? Can't really pin point what could be it and would really like to avoid returning them...

Jan 8, 2018 at 7:45 PM Post #1,395 of 4,782
I have had mine nearly six months and they are creak and rattle free, I guess it depends how bad the creaking/rattling is, and whether it affects the sound, really a top notch pair of headphones like the 1990's shouldn't be doing that, really depends on whether you are prepared to put up with it, are they new or second hand?.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back