1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by xero1, Jul 19, 2016.
First

Back
84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93
95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104
Next

Last
  1. gkl
    New from amazon.it. It doesn't appear to affect the sound at all though it is a bit annoying since the overall build quality is top notch.

2. Luminance
    Do you wear glasses? Could be this coming from the earpads? Can you check if the creaking persists with the other set of earpads?
    I do wear glasses and there is slight creaking which occurs if I shake my head and it's actually coming from the earpads.

3. gkl
    Don't wear glasses. While I did change the pads and didn't try the default ones, I doubt that is the issue - they are very snug. It felt "creaky" right out of the box.
    I thought about the headband and its different connection points with screws but holding them down doesn't really help. Eh, might have to exchange them... such a hassle.

But damn are they an upgrade over my DT880s...

4. kman1211
    I had that problem with my DT 1770. I would consider trying the Amiron if you exchange the DT 1990(or get a different DT 1990), no creakiness.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  5. Scutey
    Sounds to me like you need to exchange, I have had no trouble with mine, sounds like you have been unlucky.

cardeli22 likes this.
  6. DW75
    My next headphone to eventually step up from my K712 Pro is going to be the DT1990 or the Amiron. I am not completely decided on which one. Has anyone here in the thread done a comparison of both ?

7. kman1211
    I owned both at the same time, here is my review on both. Both are excellent, I chose the Amiron Home over the DT 1990 in the long term. Compared to the K712 the DT 1990 is the more similar to the K712 of the two. The Amiron is a bit different, being more fluid and less dry than essentially any other Beyer out there.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/pro...-1990-pro-vs-beyerdynamic-amiron-home.838972/

8. DW75
    Hey Kman, how have you been !!! It has been a while. The last time we chatted, it was about the K712 Pro. I am sure you remember. Thanks for the review. I am going to check it out right now.

9. kman1211
    Hey it has been a while. Yeah it was. Both of those headphones are better than the K712 to my ears but also a different sound sound signature. Currently spending a lot of time with Senn HD 660 S.

10. DW75
    How are you finding the HD 660 S ? I have not heard it either. Unfortunately, Tyll, over at Innerfidelity, gave it a mediocre review. It appears it is using the same driver as the HD 700.

11. Scutey
    Just read your review, an excellent well balanced review, can't comment on the AH but I would say you are spot on with the 1990's, if I was to describe the 1990's in one word it would be "dynamic", I agree also about the 1990's being a bit dry in the mids, this can be cured to a greater or lesser extent by using a tube amp, (I use my 1990's with a Feliks Elise), they handle tubes very well, and by using warm tubes it all but cures the dryness imo, but going on your review the AH sounds like a good accompaniment to the 1990.

12. kman1211
    Honestly I like the HD 660 S a lot, about as much as the DT 1990 and the Amiron Home but in a different way. They took a while for me to settle into them though, didn't like them so much until like a week ago. It's a similar driver, but Sennheiser like Beyer tunes their drivers for their specific headphones. I've swapped the drivers on the DT 1770, DT 1990, and Amiron Home, all three sets of drivers sounded distinctly different. I also found swapping the HD 600 and hD 650 drivers yielded audible differences as well. I've personally never really agreed with Tyll, my listening impressions are different than his on the same headphones.

13. gkl
    Yeah, filed a request for replacement today. Too bad but happens. Hopefully the new one will be fine! I sure damn like it

cardeli22 likes this.
  14. Scutey
    Good for you!, I think you have just been unlucky, but as you say these things happen, I had a pair 1770's last year that didn't work, you should be alright with the replacements, good luck with the next ones, hope you enjoy em! :beyersmile:

15. d1spatch
    So, I'm now back home to my setup, and I'm finding I'll probably need an amp to add to my setup...The DAC/AMP I'm using right now is USB, and its real finicky trying to get it to work with ASIO and Ableton. My audio interface is a Roland Quad Capture, which has a decent but not great headphone amp at about 47ohms of impedance, this is better than the Focusrite Scarlett interfaces that are at around 12ohms.

So, I'm thinking I'd chain a headphone amp out of my audio interface. The two I have narrowed it down to are the Samson QH4 for a budget option, the Aphex Headpod 4 as a mid-tier option, but also interested in the Rupert Neves RNHP.

This setup would be for mixing and mastering, so I don't want unnecessary coloration, so I'm not sure how tube amps would factor in here as I've never used one. I'm also already using Sonarworks reference EQ them flat.

Thanks

First

Back
84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93
95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104
Next

Last