Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Nov 6, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #4,127 of 4,790
Long time lurker on the forums, just received my new DT 1990 Pros after reading all of your comments here. I have never had Beyerdynamics before so wasn’t too sure what to expect. Wow, what a revelation. So clear and detailed, listening to a bit of classical at the moment (a bit of Benjamin Britten) and they make my HE4XX seem a bit muddy. Setup is Sony NWZ300>Soncoz SCD1>Xduoo TA-20. I will let them run for a while (burn in?) and check back but initial thoughts are I really like them, and they are different to what I already have - Fostex TH610, Sony MDR Z7M2, HE4XX.
Like you can see in my profile pic, I have the 1990 Pros and Sony Z7 (the OG, no MK2 edition) and I find the Beyer a more multigenre headphones. I leave the Z7 for jazz, OSTs and some pop or soft rock.

Nov 6, 2021 at 5:52 PM Post #4,129 of 4,790
Like you can see in my profile pic, I have the 1990 Pros and Sony Z7 (the OG, no MK2 edition) and I find the Beyer a more multigenre headphones. I leave the Z7 for jazz, OSTs and some pop or soft rock.
Hi Terriero, I did see that. I like the Z7s for Jazz as well, and a bit of blues. I switched the 1990s over to my Burson Conductor V2 amp to see what the difference was. Still impressed with them, there is a slight sound shift from the TA-20 a not quite as much emphasis in the base but but still enjoyable. I have yet to listen to any rap (Run DMC/NWA/Tupac) or muddy blues/rock yet.

Nov 6, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #4,130 of 4,790
By the way, I love this album with the 1990 Pros (Doom Metal):

In general, I prefer the Denon AH-D9200 for rock (with the exception of some albums) and heavy, power or symphonic metal. And I love the 1990 Pros with Gothic and Doom metal. Althought, right now I'm enjoying a lot listening to Draconian with the 9200s... :relieved: :L3000:

Nov 6, 2021 at 6:22 PM Post #4,131 of 4,790
By the way, I love this album with the 1990 Pros (Doom Metal):

In general, I prefer the Denon AH-D9200 for rock (with the exception of some albums) and heavy, power or symphonic metal. And I love the 1990 Pros with Gothic and Doom metal. Althought, right now I'm enjoying a lot listening to Draconian with the 9200s... :relieved: :L3000:

thanks for the recommendation. Someone suggested Rag’n’Bone Man Die Easy for a test of the 1990s pure voice only performance, recommend a listen. One thing I was hesitant about was the lack of a balanced option (I did see the mod above) but pulled the trigger anyway. I got balanced cables for my TH610 and HE4XX from Hart Audio and can wholeheartedly recommend them, opened both headphones up a bit more to my ears.with the 1990s I am feeling like I really don’t need to worry about it.

Nov 6, 2021 at 6:30 PM Post #4,132 of 4,790
Hi Terriero, I did see that. I like the Z7s for Jazz as well, and a bit of blues. I switched the 1990s over to my Burson Conductor V2 amp to see what the difference was. Still impressed with them, there is a slight sound shift from the TA-20 a not quite as much emphasis in the base but but still enjoyable. I have yet to listen to any rap (Run DMC/NWA/Tupac) or muddy blues/rock yet.
The 1990s are great with Blues also. I have yet to find a genre they don't sound at least good with and they sound great with most of them. Really versatile phones.

Nov 6, 2021 at 7:52 PM Post #4,133 of 4,790
The 1990s are great with Blues also. I have yet to find a genre they don't sound at least good with and they sound great with most of them. Really versatile phones.
So far I have to agree, yet to try Audiobooks…
Just out of curiosity I tried my portable setup, Sony ZX300 via OTG cable > Oppo HA-2. Used the same track - Melody Gardot ‘Some Lessons’ - and found the best settings for me were High Gain/Low Bass. Just smooth, intimate, and detailed.

Nov 6, 2021 at 10:56 PM Post #4,134 of 4,790
Just noticed something strange. Normally when using lower impedance headphones (TH610/HE4XX/Z7) with my Burson amp, it tends to run noticeably warm to the touch. Touched it just now (has been running constantly for nearly 6 hours) it is barely at room temperature. Would that be due to the 1990s having a higher impedance? It is noticeably cooler yet running at the same approx volume I use with the others. Any thoughts?

Nov 7, 2021 at 1:16 AM Post #4,135 of 4,790
Just noticed something strange. Normally when using lower impedance headphones (TH610/HE4XX/Z7) with my Burson amp, it tends to run noticeably warm to the touch. Touched it just now (has been running constantly for nearly 6 hours) it is barely at room temperature. Would that be due to the 1990s having a higher impedance? It is noticeably cooler yet running at the same approx volume I use with the others. Any thoughts?
The warmth is from the Class A portion of the amp, which always maintain full power. When it's not used up, you get warmth. The DT-1990 is using up that power, and less loss to heat.

Nov 9, 2021 at 6:03 PM Post #4,137 of 4,790
I think I have a problem, spending too much on Audio gear. But happy to be spoiled for choice.

Attachments

• 46785B71-9F21-4A6F-B9EB-69254AE74544.jpeg
    46785B71-9F21-4A6F-B9EB-69254AE74544.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Nov 10, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #4,139 of 4,790
I'm getting a rattling issue on the DT1990 depending on how high the volume is. If I set a tone generator to a subbass frequency like below 60 Hz or around there, the headphone begins to cause an unconfortable rattle. It starts sooner on the left cup, then begins to distort the right one as I keep lowering the frequency just a little bit. Is this behavior normal, or is my pair defective?

Also, I'm thinking about updating the amp from the Topping L30 to something like the A30Pro. The sound with the DT1990 is sort of sterile and boring compared to my IEMs, as if it wasn't driven properly for whether reason. Not sure about the matching DAC yet.

Nov 10, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #4,140 of 4,790
I'm getting a rattling issue on the DT1990 depending on how high the volume is. If I set a tone generator to a subbass frequency like below 60 Hz or around there, the headphone begins to cause an unconfortable rattle. It starts sooner on the left cup, then begins to distort the right one as I keep lowering the frequency just a little bit. Is this behavior normal, or is my pair defective?

Also, I'm thinking about updating the amp from the Topping L30 to something like the A30Pro. The sound with the DT1990 is sort of sterile and boring compared to my IEMs, as if it wasn't driven properly for whether reason. Not sure about the matching DAC yet.
That sounds like a defect of some sort if it's a literal physical rattle. Mine never did that, though it's a bit odd that both sides would do it.

With respect to amps I preferred mine with the Emotiva A-100, as it gave a bit more body and roundness to the sound. With the THX 789 it was like the audio equivalent of a surgeon's scalpel, microscopically precise and clean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back