Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
May 7, 2018 at 7:48 PM Post #1,666 of 4,782
I'd recommend the iSine 10 instead of the Aeon Flow Open, I found them to separate quite badly, but it may have been the enviroment

Thanks for the tip, I own these now.. great for commutes and gym time. They don't leak audio that much and I got some moon audio cables for them as well.

May 8, 2018 at 1:41 AM Post #1,667 of 4,782
Anyone out there do a balanced mod for these?
While I haven't done a DT1990 I've done the balanced mod for a DT-990 and DT-770 and made the cables removable on my T1gen1 and on a friends, not the easiest of mods but if you take your time its possible.
DT-990 Dual cable mod.jpg
my DT-990

Last edited:
May 12, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #1,669 of 4,782
Can you describe the improvements please?
There is no "improvement" in sound from what I've experienced if that is what you are asking but improvements functionality in being able to use a short or long cable or being able to use a DT-990 or older T1-gen1 on a balanced amp is now possible is the reason for someone wanting to do the mod. Its possible to also do some mods to the cups that might change/improve the sound but I haven't done anything like that so far.
If you want more information on doing the mod send me a PM since its a bit off topic.

May 12, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #1,670 of 4,782
'I need a super short DT1990 cable to attach to a Ear Studio ES100 clipped to my neckline for those times I want to be handsfree. Where do you suggest I go to get a custom cable made. I doesn't need to be audiophile grade silver obviously but I would like it to be of high enough quality that I don't start developing shorts after a while like everything else I buy from ebay out of China. Where would you guys suggest I go?

May 12, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #1,671 of 4,782
'I need a super short DT1990 cable to attach to a Ear Studio ES100 clipped to my neckline for those times I want to be handsfree. Where do you suggest I go to get a custom cable made. I doesn't need to be audiophile grade silver obviously but I would like it to be of high enough quality that I don't start developing shorts after a while like everything else I buy from ebay out of China. Where would you guys suggest I go?
This is pretty good from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00MVCN9WQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

May 13, 2018 at 8:23 AM Post #1,673 of 4,782
Damn this is a good headphone!

Best Beyerdynamic I’ve heard, once owned the T1 gen 1 too.

Maintains great detail whilst introducing bass! Can hardly believe it’s a Beyer can. Love that it’s not too forward, yet is clearly more dynamic than my Audeze.

I don’t think it’s a stretch to say this competes with some TOL headphones.

Great compliment to my LCD-3

May 13, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #1,674 of 4,782

Maintains great detail whilst introducing bass! Can hardly believe it’s a Beyer can. Love that it’s not too forward, yet is clearly more dynamic than my Audeze.

Have to agree with you on this one. I've had the T1.2 and the T5P 2nd gen and sold them both because the DT1990 performs way above it's price range. It's really the only Beyerdynamic you need in your headphone lineup to my ears.

May 13, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #1,675 of 4,782

Yeah, I think that they’re a great pair of cans too.
They’re much, much better than my T5P second gens IMO, and are better than my T1.2’s for some genres.
If i was told to just keep ONE set of cans, these would be them!

May 13, 2018 at 9:58 AM Post #1,676 of 4,782
Have to agree with you on this one. I've had the T1.2 and the T5P 2nd gen and sold them both because the DT1990 performs way above it's price range. It's really the only Beyerdynamic you need in your headphone lineup to my ears.
ABSOLUTELY agree!

May 13, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #1,677 of 4,782
The 1990 is a great all rounder, and the clincher for me is the a and b pads, which effectively gives you two pairs of hp's, what could be better!

May 13, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #1,679 of 4,782
Exactly what I wanted to know, thanks, David!
I think I should clarify this a bit:
If you have a amp that has both balanced and SE output its possible that a headphone might sound better on the balanced output if the amp was designed with primary focus on using the balanced output and the SE output was just added for convenience but some amps are great with both the balanced and SE output so in this case there would probably no sound improvement / difference between balanced and SE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back