Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Oct 31, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #2,461 of 3,701
Well I think if you want earth shaking bass start with a basshead can

770/990 is bass heavy relative for a studio/pro can. And it has a fair amount of it. But to push it to its limits for edm/hip hop just isn't wise. Might as well get some ultrasone/XB/WS/SZ etc etc.

Pro/Studio IMO shouldn't be modded too much or eq'd all that much. There are other cans for that.

Too much can't be expected from one can. I think minimum 3 to satisfy all needs. Studio, Fun/Bassy, and Neutralish Musical type.

Or more :p

Oct 31, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #2,462 of 3,701

770/990 is bass heavy relative for a studio/pro can. And it has a fair amount of it. But to push it to its limits for edm/hip hop just isn't wise. Might as well get some ultrasone/XB/WS/SZ etc etc.

Pro/Studio IMO shouldn't be modded too much or eq'd all that much. There are other cans for that.

Too much can't be expected from one can. I think minimum 3 to satisfy all needs. Studio, Fun/Bassy, and Neutralish Musical type.

Oh no... I would never want earth shaking bass, that's a nightmare come true! Me personally, I'm more of the anti-bass head. Boomy music prevents me from enjoying the music but I think planars are the best options for bass headphones since they do not distort at the sub bass frequencies like dynamic drivers

Oct 31, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #2,463 of 3,701
I dont think any of this is really easy (finding the right can for different genres). Even the bass game is complicated.

E.g Sometimes I want the club sound bass, which is different from the type of bass in a car with a decent setup, vs home subwoofers. That bass is different from refined bass/relaxed bass from nice bookshelfs, 5.1/7.1 setups.

Sometimes i want to feel like I am in a small town bar listening to some classic rock/psychedelic. Studio sound is different.

What about african drumming? Which is best? It doesn't sound very good on a dt880 for example vs xb1k (which isn't best for vocals and treble clarity). Digeridoos ? Electric Violin.

I mean its fun/frustrating at same time swapping cans, but its all part of the hobby I guess. Wouldn't want it to end would we? One perfect can would ruin the fun :p

We are complex creatures. Thus, our needs also. Bass needs.

Oct 31, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #2,464 of 3,701
I dont think any of this is really easy (finding the right can for different genres). Even the bass game is complicated.

E.g Sometimes I want the club sound bass, which is different from the type of bass in a car with a decent setup, vs home subwoofers. That bass is different from refined bass/relaxed bass from nice bookshelfs, 5.1/7.1 setups.

Sometimes i want to feel like I am in a small town bar listening to some classic rock/psychedelic. Studio sound is different.

What about african drumming? Which is best? It doesn't sound very good on a dt880 for example vs xb1k (which isn't best for vocals and treble clarity). Digeridoos ? Electric Violin.

I mean its fun/frustrating at same time swapping cans, but its all part of the hobby I guess. Wouldn't want it to end would we? One perfect can would ruin the fun :p

We are complex creatures. Thus, our needs also. Bass needs.

I think the best option would be a headphone with a built in DSP that can change sound signature natively according to your mood!

Oct 31, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #2,465 of 3,701
I've been watching a lot of those home theater review ft Tyll Hertsen and those RMAF conference where they get the big boys to talk about all this stuff, and the future of headphones etc.

Myself, I have no idea. I was happy with my 3 cans and music, till i came back on here after a few years :p

Now, my head is spinning and my can collection just keeps growing

I need to get off here lol

Oct 31, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #2,466 of 3,701

Ultrasone 900 for EDM, backed by a nice desktop amp is amazing. The DT1770 also does well with the genre.

Yamaha EPH-100 if you want a bassy, punchy IEM.

I have trouble finding anything better tuned for EDM than the Pro 900. It's got the crispy highs and the impactful, punchy bass.

Likewise, the EPH-100 seems the Pro 900 equivalent in an IEM. Perfect sound sig for electronic.

That's been my findings, at least, after trying a boatload of cans.

Oct 31, 2016 at 7:23 PM Post #2,467 of 3,701
I have serial #00904. Since September 2015. I have zero issues. What kind of music do you use and which level of amplification? And please tell us about your setup.

I was running them off an O2/ODAC on 1x gain straight from the ODAC Rev. B (so 2.10 Vrms). Any time deep bass hit, especially in EDM, a crunchy/staticky noise was extremely audible (during periods where the driver was rattling, not when the driver was working normally) and basically took away all the cleanness of the bass when the driver was working. Of course, I also tried a bass shaker frequency sweep test and the rattle was even more prominent. It's pretty evident that the driver was dying.

Nov 2, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #2,468 of 3,701
Mine arrived. Serial no 19xx
No rattling on mine, I even purposely listened to a dupstep song which I normally don't listen to and cranked up the volume way past my normal listening level, still no rattling. My right driver does have some rattling from a 20hz sine wave test, but I am suspecting the vast majority of owners who made the rattling complaints got the rattling from the frequency sweep test rather than actual music listening. I will use them extensively to see if they are better than my legendary brainwavz hm5. so far the soundstage is pretty nice

Nov 2, 2016 at 5:11 PM Post #2,470 of 3,701
  They do good with dubstep, no? :wink:

Yes, the bass is somewhat elevated above neutral so it is definitely a good headphone for electronic music. None of the music I listen to really push the sub bass so I tried some haywyre to test. No rattling even at the highest volumes, plenty of bass, no muddiness at all. If electronic music was the center of my headphones, the dt1770 would be my pick from the headphones I own. They have more bass than my hifiman he-560

Nov 2, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #2,471 of 3,701
Nevermind, they did not rattle at all even with the deepest bass dubstep at ear screeching levels but they rattle with daft punk at normal listening levels lol. They sound so good but I am contemplating whether or not to keep it.
A real shame because they sound great, have arguably one of the best headphone designs, and isolate the most out of all closed headphones I have owned

Nov 3, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #2,475 of 3,701
hi guise, I got my dt1770 since a few months now. They sound pretty decent, I love them, but I want to try something new. Could you guys recommend something that sound similar in the same price range?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back