Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Apr 21, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #1,966 of 3,701
I also considered the DT-1770 PRO and the T5p-2nd generation...

I think the 1770 PRO is the more tempting though (I think that stealth black looks killer), so I saved the money and got the 1770 PRO. I will mainly be using these on the go, and I much prefer the single sided cable with mini-xlr for this use.

Have not compared the 1770 PRO an the T5p-2nd generation though, so I can't really comment on the sonic difference or sound leakage.

Apr 21, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #1,967 of 3,701
What I like in DT 1770 is that it looks sturdy, has good build quality, very good sound, it is somewhat closed (my primary target) and is not so expensive for me, it also rings that the price quality ratio is really good. As I said strong and rational choice, but still there is this 'but'... Why not take the best (m'not talking about 50k$ Orpheus) and don't care anymore? I don't have any intention to have more than 2 phones (open and closed, open I have already) and won't change them probably in the upcoming few years...

Apr 21, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #1,968 of 3,701
Same here. I also want one pair of open, one pair of closed. For the closed I just like the DT-1770 PRO better, but that's just me. I did not have the chance to listen to either before buying since no dealers here have them in stock. So I bought the ones that spoke to me the most, and that was the 1770 PRO.

To me it sounds like you have decided to get the T5p-2nd generation, because if you don't you will continue to go ''what if'' and never be happy with anything else. So buy the T5p and get piece of mind.

I don't suffer from that ''what if'' problem  
wink.gif
  and I'm really pleased with the 1770 PRO. Here is my stealth system that I use at work, in the train etc... 

Apr 21, 2016 at 2:04 PM Post #1,969 of 3,701
Has anyone experienced burn in effects with their Beyers?

I tried DT880pro, DT880-600, DT440, DT1350, and own a DT770pro-250, T50p, and T90.  Burn-in is subtle, just a bit more clarity and tightness to the sound.  You can safely write it off as not worth any attention.
Burn-in has been more noticeable on Audio-technicas and film capacitors I've tried.

Apr 22, 2016 at 2:18 AM Post #1,970 of 3,701

For me it is really about the sound leakage. I'll use it next to people. Hence my question before few posts. If DT-1770 is noticeable better at this - I will choose it. While T5p gen.2 can be with better sound it is something which I'll definitely survive over (and forget if I don't start digging at its corresponding thread for example). Which leads me to: Why nobody measures the leakage and everybody has to wonder what does it mean barely, noticeable, deal-break and etc?

Apr 22, 2016 at 4:15 AM Post #1,971 of 3,701
Sound differences between the DT1770 Pro and T5p 2nd Generation are quite big,

The DT1770 is more fun sounding with more bass quantity and also impact,

The T5p 2nd Gen are more neutral and balanced, yet still retain excellent articulation and body.

The T5p 2nd generation are airier sounding, also more detailed and refined, yet the DT1770 Pro still sounds open for a closed headphone.

Both are excellent headphones, it is a matter of taste.

Apr 22, 2016 at 4:55 AM Post #1,972 of 3,701

For me it is really about the sound leakage. I'll use it next to people. Hence my question before few posts. If DT-1770 is noticeable better at this - I will choose it. While T5p gen.2 can be with better sound it is something which I'll definitely survive over (and forget if I don't start digging at its corresponding thread for example). Which leads me to: Why nobody measures the leakage and everybody has to wonder what does it mean barely, noticeable, deal-break and etc?

I just looked at the specs: For the DT-1770 PRO the ambient noise attenuation is mentioned. It's approx 18dB for the veour pads and approx 21db for the leatherette pads. Nothing mentioned in the T5p specs, however since these two headphones conceptually are very close, use the same style pads with the same coupling to the head, I see no reason why they should not be very similar in leakage - if using the leatherette pads on the 1770.

Apr 22, 2016 at 5:10 AM Post #1,973 of 3,701
  Sound differences between the DT1770 Pro and T5p 2nd Generation are quite big,

The DT1770 is more fun sounding with more bass quantity and also impact,

The T5p 2nd Gen are more neutral and balanced, yet still retain excellent articulation and body.

The T5p 2nd generation are airier sounding, also more detailed and refined, yet the DT1770 Pro still sounds open for a closed headphone.

Both are excellent headphones, it is a matter of taste.

Thanks for the comparison..! It's difficult to find direct comparisons between the two online, and us from small markets can't easily find dealers either, that has both... What you write as the differences in sound matches the general impression when reading online comments. I'm getting the T1 - 2nd generation for my open backed headphones to use in my home rig. So I like to have the two slightly different sonic signatures with one being very neutral and the other being more fun.

As mentioned above I will use the DT-1770 PRO mainly in my portable system and I prefer the more rugged design/feel and the one sided detachable cable for this use. I run them with my iBasso DX80 DAP as seen above, and there is plenty of drive, even though they are 250 ohm.

Here are a few interesting reviews, where the same person reviews the DT-1770 PRO and the T5p and T1. It's not direct comparisons, but since they are from the same reviewer it does give good impressions of the sonic differences.

Videos on T5p - 2nd Generation and DT-1770 PRO from the same guy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk7-rht-VQU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiH5k4kPjF8

Written reviews on T1 - 2nd Generation and DT-1770 PRO from the same guy:
http://hifisenses.com/desktop-audio/beyerdynamic-t1-gen-2-headphone-review.html
http://hifisenses.com/desktop-audio/beyerdynamic-dt1770-pro-studio-headphone-review.html

Apr 22, 2016 at 6:39 AM Post #1,974 of 3,701

Thanks for the comparison..! It's difficult to find direct comparisons between the two online, and us from small markets can't easily find dealers either, that has both... What you write as the differences in sound matches the general impression when reading online comments. I'm getting the T1 - 2nd generation for my open backed headphones to use in my home rig. So I like to have the two slightly different sonic signatures with one being very neutral and the other being more fun.

As mentioned above I will use the DT-1770 PRO mainly in my portable system and I prefer the more rugged design/feel and the one sided detachable cable for this use. I run them with my iBasso DX80 DAP as seen above, and there is plenty of drive, even though they are 250 ohm.

Here are a few interesting reviews, where the same person reviews the DT-1770 PRO and the T5p and T1. It's not direct comparisons, but since they are from the same reviewer it does give good impressions of the sonic differences.

Videos on T5p - 2nd Generation and DT-1770 PRO from the same guy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk7-rht-VQU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiH5k4kPjF8

Written reviews on T1 - 2nd Generation and DT-1770 PRO from the same guy:
http://hifisenses.com/desktop-audio/beyerdynamic-t1-gen-2-headphone-review.html
http://hifisenses.com/desktop-audio/beyerdynamic-dt1770-pro-studio-headphone-review.html

You have the perfect system, T1 2nd Gen for home is fantastic, and DT1770 for portable is an excellent choice.

The DT1770 does isolate more than the T5p 2nd Gen,

I never did write a full review of the DT1770, only the T5p 2nd Gen.

T5p 2nd Gen is a very versatile headphone as you get nearly the same sound quality of T1 2nd gen but in a portable package that work well on the go and at home.

But you cannot go wrong with any of the above headphones, they all have their strengths, I personally think the DT1770 is the best portable one, better than T5p due to the more fun sound signature and also the better isolation. Also wearing a pair of £850 headphones out and about is quite daunting.

Apr 22, 2016 at 6:52 AM Post #1,975 of 3,701
Thanks Ostewart, I agree that this is a quite perfect combination for home / portable use...

For me the 1770 is the obvious choice for portable use in the Beyer range. My only small concern about using the 1770 for the portable system, run from a DAP, is the 250 ohm impedance. However my DX80 DAP has 2,9V output into 32 ohm  =  265mW / 32 ohm  = 34mW / 250 ohm and this is more than enough into 102dB sensitive cans.

Interesting that the 1770 isolate better, wonder why..? This makes the 1770 an even more obvious choice for portable use.

Apr 22, 2016 at 6:53 AM Post #1,976 of 3,701
I also use DT1770 as a portable headphone. it's not the most technically superior headphone but it's Sound signature, ergonomics and weight is ideal for portable use.

Apr 22, 2016 at 6:57 AM Post #1,977 of 3,701

You have the perfect system, T1 2nd Gen for home is fantastic, and DT1770 for portable is an excellent choice.

The DT1770 does isolate more than the T5p 2nd Gen,

I never did write a full review of the DT1770, only the T5p 2nd Gen.

T5p 2nd Gen is a very versatile headphone as you get nearly the same sound quality of T1 2nd gen but in a portable package that work well on the go and at home.

But you cannot go wrong with any of the above headphones, they all have their strengths, I personally think the DT1770 is the best portable one, better than T5p due to the more fun sound signature and also the better isolation. Also wearing a pair of £850 headphones out and about is quite daunting.

Which one is better for EDM and pop? I like those genres but I also care about soundstage and hate the closed-in feeling.

Apr 22, 2016 at 7:07 AM Post #1,978 of 3,701
  Which one is better for EDM and pop? I like those genres but I also care about soundstage and hate the closed-in feeling.

I would pick the DT1770 for those genres. They still have a wide soundstage.

The T5p 2nd Gen is more versatile as you can use them at home with almost the same sound quality as T1 2nd Gen,

I listen to a lot of rock, and prefer the T5p 2nd gen for that due to the crisp treble and fast bass response, but for Pop and EDM the extra lows on the DT1770 would help.

The T5p 2nd Gen don't isolate quite as well due to less clamp, and also a slightly larger bass vent hole on the cup.

Apr 22, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #1,980 of 3,701

I would pick the DT1770 for those genres. They still have a wide soundstage.

The T5p 2nd Gen is more versatile as you can use them at home with almost the same sound quality as T1 2nd Gen,

I listen to a lot of rock, and prefer the T5p 2nd gen for that due to the crisp treble and fast bass response, but for Pop and EDM the extra lows on the DT1770 would help.

The T5p 2nd Gen don't isolate quite as well due to less clamp, and also a slightly larger bass vent hole on the cup.

Actually, the DT 1770 is not good for Pop and EDM, but it is better than T5p. I own the 1770 and use them for classic rock. The vocals are a bit too thin for pop and EDM. In terms of tonality, the midrange of Momentum 1.0 is more suitable. Still searching for a upgrade from momentum  for pop,  edm and r&b

Users who are viewing this thread

Back