Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Apr 13, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #1,951 of 3,701
This post is related to the channel imbalance others have had:
I recently sold my pair that had no problems with imbalance.  It would seem that during shipping, a problem occurred with the right side driver.  When I got them back, it was extremely obvious something was wrong.  I swapped the left and right driver to see if the wiring was the problem, and it turns out it was just that one driver.  

My question is, has anyone opened up the driver?  

In my experience with rewiring headphones, most drivers are easily visible, but the ones on the 1770 are sealed front and back.  I can't even see what the coil and magnet look like.  I suspect the reason some people have problems with imbalance from the get-go and others don't is because of mishandling in the mail.  Maybe a sudden shock dislodges the coil on the driver?  These do have powerful magnets as a main selling point, and since the sound doesn't really sound too distorted, just quiet, I wonder if the shock just puts the driver in the wrong position.  Thoughts?

Apr 14, 2016 at 2:50 AM Post #1,952 of 3,701
  In my experience with rewiring headphones, most drivers are easily visible, but the ones on the 1770 are sealed front and back.  I can't even see what the coil and magnet look like.  I suspect the reason some people have problems with imbalance from the get-go and others don't is because of mishandling in the mail.  Maybe a sudden shock dislodges the coil on the driver?  These do have powerful magnets as a main selling point, and since the sound doesn't really sound too distorted, just quiet, I wonder if the shock just puts the driver in the wrong position.  Thoughts?

That could very well be the case. But I would expect that products like this has been transport-tested in every way. So if this was a problem it would most certainly have been discovered during the design phase. A lot of problems can come up once mass production starts though, the glue is not strong enough, plastic parts break, drivers are not delivered in the expected quality etc. It seems like the later production batches with latest serial numbers do not have the same problems anymore. So they are probably solved by now. 

Apr 14, 2016 at 6:20 AM Post #1,953 of 3,701
  This post is related to the channel imbalance others have had:
I recently sold my pair that had no problems with imbalance.  It would seem that during shipping, a problem occurred with the right side driver.  When I got them back, it was extremely obvious something was wrong.  I swapped the left and right driver to see if the wiring was the problem, and it turns out it was just that one driver.  

My question is, has anyone opened up the driver?  

I have opened up the driver, think I also found the problem as my distortion came back, got it fixed. On the back of the driver is a rubber stopper, turns out mine wasn't aligned properly so the rubber stopper wasn't properly getting a good connection to the driver housing(the rubber stopper is supposed to properly connect to the three little prongs inside the driver housing). To remove the driver, take off the pad baffle plate, and tap the earcup fairly hard until the driver pops out. I realigned the rubber stopper and problem fixed, both distortion and channel imbalance on my right earcup. The whole driver imbalance/distortion issue could very well be a simple dampening issue.

Apr 14, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #1,955 of 3,701
Interesting about the placement of that ring on the rear of the driver, could it have that much of an affect?

Apr 15, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #1,957 of 3,701
That makes it look semi doable for a balanced mod...

Also, just got my replacement cable today. Apparently the AKG ones don't sound right with our DT-1770 Pro due to the difference in impedance. Amplifier Surgery on eBay remade my cable after I told him the original (for AKG) sounded veiled compared to the stock Beyer cable.

Haven't "broken in" the cable yet but first impression is airier presentation, less dark, while smoother and musical. The stock cable sounds more like listening to the recording and good for a studio in that regard, but not all that musical imo.

Apr 20, 2016 at 8:33 PM Post #1,961 of 3,701
That makes it look semi doable for a balanced mod...

Also, just got my replacement cable today. Apparently the AKG ones don't sound right with our DT-1770 Pro due to the difference in impedance. Amplifier Surgery on eBay remade my cable after I told him the original (for AKG) sounded veiled compared to the stock Beyer cable.

Haven't "broken in" the cable yet but first impression is airier presentation, less dark, while smoother and musical. The stock cable sounds more like listening to the recording and good for a studio in that regard, but not all that musical imo.

After the weather began getting warm I couldn't stand using the pleather pads anymore as they were too warm against my head. I switched to the velour pads with the new cable and I noticed immediately how much smoother the 1770's sound now with the new cable. Much better soundstage, as I feel like the pleather makes it more closed headphone sounding.

Apr 20, 2016 at 11:14 PM Post #1,962 of 3,701
  Interesting about the placement of that ring on the rear of the driver, could it have that much of an affect?

Effectively anything will at such a critical spot.

Apr 21, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #1,965 of 3,701
Any idea how the sound leakage (in the direction headphones -> environment) compares between 1770 and t5p v2? And whether the $$$ difference is worth it. 1770 looks so strong and rationale, but t5p2 is so tempting...Sigh. I try to save my money from spending them for t5p2
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back