Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Mar 17, 2016 at 12:08 AM Post #1,833 of 3,701
Not sure but is seems at least the one's close to the numbers listed have problems...

I wanted to be clear. I thank people for their responses trying to help me 'fix' them, but in my previous post I did say I thought I had a problem, but it was just the seal on the right side when the cable pulled down the left side. A simple readjustment is all I needed, then no more issue. So I have number 2006, and no imbalance issue. I was trying to ask inderectly if this could have been the cause of other people's problem as well, not stating mine were broken. Apparently this would not have fixed yours.

Mar 17, 2016 at 9:49 AM Post #1,835 of 3,701
Are you sure? Because, the one I sent back also bears 02003. Purchased it in California in January and returned in February.

Now it get's interesting.

Mar 18, 2016 at 12:04 AM Post #1,837 of 3,701
What do you mean the cable pulled down the left side? Maybe a picture please.

Thanks

Not sure how I would take a picture of that. It pulled down the left side, as in, tension on the cable pulled on the left side. My amp was close to the floor. Put a pair of headphones on, tie something heavy to the left side, and the headphones will shift on your head. I raised the amp, readjusted the headphones, and all was well.

Mar 18, 2016 at 12:27 AM Post #1,838 of 3,701

​
Not sure how I would take a picture of that. It pulled down the left side, as in, tension on the cable pulled on the left side. My amp was close to the floor. Put a pair of headphones on, tie something heavy to the left side, and the headphones will shift on your head. I raised the amp, readjusted the headphones, and all was well.

Oh. So the tension on the cable is taught between the headphones and the amp. Pulling the headphones to one side?

Mar 18, 2016 at 12:36 AM Post #1,839 of 3,701
Oh. So the tension on the cable is taught between the headphones and the amp. Pulling the headphones to one side?

Pretty much. I'm not sure I would call it taught, but there was tension. I was using the coiled cable, so unless you're really close to the amp there is always a little pull from the cord, and yes, it was pulling it slightly to one side. Using the longer, straight cable helps remedy this too.

Mar 18, 2016 at 1:44 AM Post #1,840 of 3,701
DT-1770 are hands down the best pair of studio monitors in the shape of headphones that I'll ever put on my head. I've been producing music for 10 years.
They sound amazing out of even lesser headphone amps. If hearing new things in songs, amazing clarity and neutrality, speed. I'm so happy!
Believe the hype if you are music producer, if you are a soft-hearted hifi "chill person" look for something less "WILD".

Mar 18, 2016 at 1:46 AM Post #1,841 of 3,701
Are you sure? Because, the one I sent back also bears 02003. Purchased it in California in December and returned in February. Are you sure yours is't a different serial number?

Don't know how I got that number in my head.  Must have been from one of the previous pairs I sent back.  The last one was actually serial number 02484, which I found on one of my earlier posts here on Head-Fi.  I apologize for the oversight.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 18, 2016 at 4:09 AM Post #1,842 of 3,701
DT-1770 are hands down the best pair of studio monitors in the shape of headphones that I'll ever put on my head. I've been producing music for 10 years.

They sound amazing out of even lesser headphone amps. If hearing new things in songs, amazing clarity and neutrality, speed. I'm so happy!

Believe the hype if you are music producer, if you are a soft-hearted hifi "chill person" look for something less "WILD".

I tend to agree with you, although there's still times when I'll find the DT880s a better option for producing as the more aggressive treble makes it easier for me to apply LPFs with greater accuracy.

Laugh if you like but most of this week I've been using the DT1770 outside on my balcony powered with just an iPod Touch 5th gen. With the iPod they don't have the same slam and weight as when powered from my audio interface, but nevertheless they still sound amazing and thoroughly engrossing.

I have noticed one problem, however, and that is that the outer part of the cups don't like going from warm to cold temperatures. As they cool down they start creaking due to contraction - no big deal, but it makes me think that the construction of these is not as bulletproof as it first seems.

Mar 18, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #1,844 of 3,701
I have noticed one problem, however, and that is that the outer part of the cups don't like going from warm to cold temperatures. As they cool down they start creaking due to contraction - no big deal, but it makes me think that the construction of these is not as bulletproof as it first seems.

I've noticed the creaking even without the temp change. However on mine, it's only on the left cup and I can invoke it by just softly touching it. Not a huge deal but I'm waiting to see if it gets worse or not. Regardless, these are by far the best sounding pair of closed end headphones I own and while I think it'd be naive for any gear head to say they've found their "end game", it's really quenched my desire for looking for any other wired closed back headphones (<- notice how specific that was?
biggrin.gif
)

Mar 18, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #1,845 of 3,701

I've noticed the creaking even without the temp change. However on mine, it's only on the left cup and I can invoke it by just softly touching it. Not a huge deal but I'm waiting to see if it gets worse or not. Regardless, these are by far the best sounding pair of closed end headphones I own and while I think it'd be naive for any gear head to say they've found their "end game", it's really quenched my desire for looking for any other wired closed back headphones (<- notice how specific that was?
biggrin.gif
)

How do you feel about these compared to the Nighthawks? I have a pair coming in and will have them Monday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back