Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Mar 4, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #1,786 of 3,701
Does anyone tried to remove the inner fibre which is against the driver?

If so, how you removed the ring which is around the driver which is under the earpad?

Asking as I want to check how it can influence the sound signature - should be a bit brighter, don't you think so?

Yes someone has. You can find it in this forum: http://www.head-fi.org/t/796360/beyerdynamic-dt-1770-mod-thread

Mar 5, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #1,788 of 3,701
Has anyone tried the dt-1770s with an iBasso DX90?

Just to be sure if this Dap can pair reasonably well (power and sinergy) with those Beyers.

Thx in advance, mates!

Mar 8, 2016 at 12:08 AM Post #1,789 of 3,701
I got exactly this combo. May be I can share a bit of my felling on this.
The high and mid of this combo is a bit sweet and smooth. Density is ok and u can easily fell the instrument texture. But for bass part, the quantity trends to less, not to mention depth. It is also not tight and forceful enough to make you fell it is a double bass or kick drum. Loudness is ok on dx90, usually i set the volume to 210~220 while max of dx90 is 260.

Forgive my skin deep information as I'm not good at reviewing.

Mar 8, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #1,790 of 3,701
Rightside driver died. No rattle, nothing. Plain death. Zero sound. Zilch. Only 100 hours in use. Serial Number: 02003. My faith in beyerdynamic is being tested.

Good news!

beyerdynamic India was kind enough to accept the above^ old one with dead right driver and offer me one that works perfectly fine last week.

Thank you, beyer!

Mar 9, 2016 at 3:03 AM Post #1,791 of 3,701
  Just picked up this headphone from the SG CanJam. I've been ignoring this headphone for a while due to the weird FR curve I see around. But when I got the chance to sit and listen at CanJam, can't believe that I like what I am hearing. Driven by Mojo, anything I play on it just WOW gives me chills down my spine. I had no big expectations but that's  just how I felt during the demo specially after listening with the T1 V2 (which did not wow me at all).

I brought my Ether C along and DT1770 can hold it's own it the bass department. Personally, the DT1770 could be potentially the best closed back headphone I have. I will have to do more comparison still with as many genres as possible. But I already am liking DT1770 so far over Ether-C

Had a couple of weeks now comparing DT1770 and Ether-C. Ether-C still is better overall in terms of detail retrieval, imaging and instrument separation. It can resolve minute details and nuances which are barely noticeable in DT1770. 

Also Ether-C in my impression sounded more balanced and airy. DT1770 however is still better in terms of bass slam, and overall timber. It is also more forgiving of badly recorded songs.

In short, for critical listening, Ether-C is still the can to reach for. If you want fun, toe tapping for hours headphone without fatigue DT-1770 does the job very well.

Mar 9, 2016 at 3:08 AM Post #1,792 of 3,701

Had a couple of weeks now comparing DT1770 and Ether-C. Ether-C still is better overall in terms of detail retrieval, imaging and instrument separation. It can resolve minute details and nuances which are barely noticeable in DT1770. 

Also Ether-C in my impression sounded more balanced and airy. DT1770 however is still better in terms of bass slam, and overall timber. It is also more forgiving of badly recorded songs.

In short, for critical listening, Ether-C is still the can to reach for. If you want fun, toe tapping for hours headphone without fatigue DT-1770 does the job very well.

This begs the question, if you are not in the music industry, why should you be critically listening to music? Music is for enjoyment, no?

Mar 9, 2016 at 3:17 AM Post #1,793 of 3,701

This begs the question, if you are not in the music industry, why should you be critically listening to music? Music is for enjoyment, no?

Ask that question to Classical and Jazz lovers.
biggrin.gif
 They shine on headphones that can bring out the smallest of details which make these recordings stunning. 

Critical Listening does not mean you are not enjoying music. It's actually the ultimate form of enjoyment. You just focus on the music and nothing else.

When I refer to fun headphones, I mean you are listening to the music while you are doing something else where you are not concerned with micro details of the music. 

Mar 9, 2016 at 5:07 AM Post #1,794 of 3,701
Hi!

Ysterday I bought DT-1770. Overall I found them very pleasing, but I found the bass a little bit fatiguing on certain tracks. Apparently people seem to recommend solid state amps over the tube amps for DT1770. I have only Schiit Valhalla 2 and WooAudio WA6. 
I have been thinking of Burson Soloist for a while now for solid state amp, but there is no place near here to actually test this combo. Any experience on this pairing, or some alternative amp for DT1770? I think that a bit colder amp would probably do the trick for these phones.

Mar 9, 2016 at 6:29 AM Post #1,795 of 3,701
Give yourself some more time to get used to the DT1770, before you start buying more stuff. One day is a little short time to come to conclusions.

Mar 9, 2016 at 8:01 AM Post #1,796 of 3,701
I got exactly this combo. May be I can share a bit of my felling on this.
The high and mid of this combo is a bit sweet and smooth. Density is ok and u can easily fell the instrument texture. But for bass part, the quantity trends to less, not to mention depth. It is also not tight and forceful enough to make you fell it is a double bass or kick drum. Loudness is ok on dx90, usually i set the volume to 210~220 while max of dx90 is 260.

Forgive my skin deep information as I'm not good at reviewing.

Thank you so much Tisnala for your words. Do you usually use the DX90 on high gain?

Cheers.

Mar 9, 2016 at 8:06 AM Post #1,797 of 3,701
Give yourself some more time to get used to the DT1770, before you start buying more stuff. One day is a little short time to come to conclusions.

True. I usually don't even consider to write any review type of thing before I have used something at least six months. Have to play more on the amps gain settings also, when I off from work.

On the other hand different amps do matter a lot on some headphones. The AKG K-612 and K-712 sounds pretty much the same on Valhalla 2 and WA6, with a little bit more detail in WA6. Sennheiser HD650 is a way different story. It's seems to be way more lively on WA6 than on Valahlla 2. So I'm curious if my amps are just ill suited for the DT1770.

I'm not a bass head but not a bass heater either. I think that the tonality on HD650 is great. And I use Bayers T51p on my go to portable headphone. I think it has wonderful tonality, with a nice bass with punchy impact and extension that is not bloated and goes very deep, and a bit of roll of on high end. It was the main reason I started to look for closed full sized headphones from Bayer, since I preferred some of the electronic music more on T51p, over my other phones. And I did not want the traditional Bayer sound that I get from DT880. T51p is also very bad on my tube amps, so I'm starting to believe the assessment that I read from this forum, that maybe the tubes don't mix well with tesla drivers. But yeah, I have to do more testing.
And I still think DT1770 is a great headphone, I just think that my set up is quite far from ideal for them :)

Mar 9, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #1,798 of 3,701

This makes me happy I have not taken the plunge on the Ether C for my work setup. I use my DT1770's quite a lot and have been enjoying them and for low volume they still deliver some oomph which is nice while still sounding great.

Mar 9, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #1,799 of 3,701
   I'm going to pull the trigger on the DT1770 soon, I still can't get it out of my head how sweet they sounded coming out of a Feliks Audio Espressivo at Can Jam London. I'm an Ether C owner and also music business professional and I completely disagree about the Ether C being a critical listening can.Yes you hear a lot of treble detail but at the cost of tons of lost bass weight and detail, which is vital to a good mix. 

Btw the Feliks Audio Espressivo and the Elise are both steals and by far the best sounding amps in their price range imo, if you're going to be rocking DT1770's.

Mar 9, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #1,800 of 3,701
Received my DT1770 Pro's this morning. No one is in the office today except me so I'm taking full advantage while doing my paper work.
atsmile.gif

Sounds pretty good on my JDS Labs cMoyBB Headphone Amp. Tonight I'll stick them on the big guns.
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back