Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Feb 2, 2016 at 11:21 PM Post #1,547 of 3,701
I just cracked mine open today. Early impressions aren't worth much, but I will say this is a very attractive, well-made headphone. 

It reminds me of a tightened up, closed-back Philips Fidelio X2 signature-wise. I can also tell right off the bat that it will handle metal music better than the X2 could. 

When I opened the box, it had the velours pads, so that's what I stayed with. 

Early on, this seems like a keeper. 

Feb 3, 2016 at 7:23 AM Post #1,548 of 3,701
  I just cracked mine open today. Early impressions aren't worth much, but I will say this is a very attractive, well-made headphone. 

It reminds me of a tightened up, closed-back Philips Fidelio X2 signature-wise. I can also tell right off the bat that it will handle metal music better than the X2 could. 

When I opened the box, it had the velours pads, so that's what I stayed with. 

Early on, this seems like a keeper. 

Please do keep us posted once you've had ample time to enjoy them. A closed-back Fidelio X-2> Hmmm, quite interesting. I think that may not be bad at all, really. I happen to like the X2 quite a lot.

It does go a different direction compared to other comments about the sound sig here on the thread. Now I'm thinking I should put this on my radar. I also like the design. Quite attractive to my eyes. 

Feb 3, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #1,549 of 3,701
So I got my DT1770's about 2 weeks ago:

*This was my first pair of decent headphones and i'm not a true audiophile by any means. My only other set of cans besides the DT1770's was the original ath-m50's i got years ago.

- First Impressions: Upon opening the awesome travel case, I was amazed taking out the headphones. They are really beautiful headphones and are built amazingly. All metal and leather. The headband leather is so supple. Also I love how the logo on the ear cups is like this reflective silver that makes it stand out. I put them on and they were so soft and comfy (velour pads). Next is sound. At this moment in time I had no amp or dac at all. I plugged the DT1770's straight into my Macbook Pro 15". The first thing I noticed was the soundstage. It was a lot bigger than on the m50's. I put on some rock and alternative and could tell what area instruments were coming from. Besides the soundstage improvement, i'm not gonna lie, I was little let down with the sound of these. I don't know if it was my huge expectations I had because I was coming from old m50's or what. It's not that they sounded bad but I guess I was just expecting perfection, which wasn't realistic. With no amp and just using my computer, it seems the sound was kind of flat. There was little bass with the velour pads (leather pads helped with that). Plus I had to turn the volume up to max on my laptop to get it loud enough for me. I immediately ordered the Modi 2 Uber and Magni 2 Uber and hoped they would help bring these to life.

Second Impressions: A few days ago my package from Schiit arrived. I hooked everything up and plugged in the DT1770's. Big improvement. The Schiit Stack helped bring them to life. The lows and highs were way more pronounced once amped. I had the amp on High Gain and listened to a bunch of different genres around 11 or 12 on the volume knob. I found though that depending on the type of music, the leather pads seem to give it too much low end and it interfered with the highs and mids. I switched back to the velour pads and found them to be a lot better for most types of music. All the music I listened too was 320kbps mp3s or higher quality. I find rock music to sound the best out of these personally. Overall they sound pretty good. I've only listed to maybe 4-5 hours of music through them, so I hope maybe they break in for a little bit better sound in the future. Before I got the Schiit stuff I was comtemplating returning them, but I think I'll wait and give them a chance to grow on me for now. They definitely sound better than my m50's.

Anyway, I hope my little first impressions review here will be able to help someone considering grabbing these who are similar shoes as me. These definitely have potential. Sorry if it isn't real technical or descriptive, like I said i'm no real audiophile lol.

Feb 3, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #1,550 of 3,701
Glad to hear they sound good with the schiit stack! I ordered these yesterday and I'll be mainly running them through my modi 2u and asgard 2.

I'm hoping these are good enough to make me cancel my massdrop order of the th-x00 and then I can put that money towards something like a chord mojo. Been wanting to upgrade my portable dac/amp from my fiio e18 for a while.

Feb 4, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #1,552 of 3,701
  First impressions in one sentence: The DT1770 has the highs of the T90 without the harshness, the mid-range of a great Sennheiser, and the speedy and punchy bass of the original HE-400 I owned for many years - wow! 

Holy smokes dude, that is seriously high praise. Are you maybe exaggerating a bit? I get mine today and you just freaked me out to try them!

Feb 4, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #1,553 of 3,701
They're really, really good. They're not perfect. I stand by what I said, but I'll temper it with the following: 

1. To my ears the treble can be just a shade too hot for my liking on certain tracks, like anything from Chairlift. I don't particularly mind because I'm a treble head, and I bet it will iron out with some burn-in. Overall, I'm loving the treble response.

2. The lower mids seem like they're bleeding (ever so slightly) into the top end of the bass on more luscious recordings, like Beck's Seachange.

Those two things said, my first impressions of this headphone are extremely positive. Also, in terms of looks, build quality, presentation, etc., this is the best Beyer I've ever owned, and I own the DT770, the T90, and the DT1350. Actually, now that I think about it, this headphone sounds like a full-size evolution of the DT 1350 with some added flair.

I'm running it through tidal > modi 2U > Asgard 2. 

Feb 4, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #1,554 of 3,701
Best beyer I have had yet is the t70. It has fit problems that affect bass, but if those can be solves is sounds insane. I am hoping the dt1770 sound as good and I can just throw them on my head and not worry about fit. 

You using velour or pleather?

Feb 4, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #1,557 of 3,701
A good friend of mine owns the dt 880s, so although I don't own them myself, I've heard them quite a few times. I would say the dt 880 and the T90 have a similar sound overall but the T90's bass can really come alive with proper amplification. Neither headphone has bass that goes particularly deep, but the T90 can give you a really satisfying bass response on some electronic tracks, like Daft Punk's "Lose Yourself to Dance." The upper registers on the T90 sound a touch cleaner as well. Overall, I really like both of them, but the T90 has the edge. For people who are sensitive to sibilance, though, the T90 can be too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back