Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Dec 31, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #1,336 of 3,701
I'm done. Never will I ever deal with Amazon again. Full story here:

I order a pair of 1770 from Amazon directly for 400$ (using a 20% promo code). It says out of stock, but I'm optimistic (a month till Christmas).

A couple of days later I contact Amazon support, asking when the item will be available. Agent says something has gone wrong, and that I should reorder from their 3rd party vendor. The 1770 costs 600$ from their 3rd party vendor, so I ask the agent about the price difference. No problems I'm told, I shall just order the item for 600$ and contact Amazon when the money has been transfered. They will issue a 200$ refund, so my effective payment is 400$ (the original price). Cool.

About a week later I contact Amazon again, and ask about the 200$ refund. No problem they say, and issue a refund. 

A couple days later, I check my bank account, and sure enough, there's a refund. But it's only 150$. I contact Amazon about it. The agent replies that there must've been a mistake, and says he's taken care of it. 

It's now Christmas, and I finally get to try the headphones (present from my parents). They're magnificent! Just what I wanted. Same afternoon I hear a weird buzzing noise. I ran them straight out of my jack in my laptop, so I figure that is the cause. I also still haven't received the remaining 50$ from Amazon, so I contact them again. It is now the 25th (we celebrate Christmas the 24th in Denmark). They refuse to pay the refund, but offer a promotional offer of 50$ instead. I don't accept this, as I just want the money back, but they cannot do this apparently, since I used a 20% off promo code (which is the remaining 50$? Your math doesn't check out Amazon). I escalate it all the way to the top, and finally, after close to 4 hours, they disconnect on me.

A couple of days later, I contact them again. I get the exact same lines copy/pasted. "System doesn't allow for the refund of the remaining 50$, but I can give you a promotional offer of 50$". "I will not be able to offer any more insight into this case. Is there anything else I can help you with?". After 2 hours of this, I finally disconnect, still unhappy. 

A day later, it's not the 28th or 29th. I realize my headphones are broken. The right driver is rattling. Many people reporting exactly the same problems. Okay, so I'll just get a replacement? 

It's now the 31th, 3 AM. I've been talking to Amazon support for about an hour now. They cannot offer me a replacement, since I ordered from a 3rd party vendor (I originally ordered from Amazon directly, but due to the re-order I had to order from a 3rd party vendor). As such, I cannot get a replacement, but I can get a refund. They're offering a refund of 450$. Okay then, but a new pair costs 600$? Can I get a discount if I order a new pair of headphones? Nope. Not at all. No chance in hell. So what do I do now? I paid 450$ for my headphones, and I cannot get a replacement. I can get a refund of 450$, but that isn't enough to buy a new pair?

If I return the headphones to Amazon, I get a net loss of 0$, but I've wasted 12-15 hours fighting their customer support. Furthermore, I've used favors to get the headphones from the US to Denmark. All for nothing. 

Dec 31, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #1,337 of 3,701
It is unfortunate that Amazon and it's confused workers are so rude and disrespectful. I will say that because of the many (continued) complaints about this model, I'm out. Apparently Beyerdynamic doesn't feel the need to fix this problem.

Dec 31, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #1,338 of 3,701
  I've read through the thread and this seems to be an interesting pair for sure. I've not seen a comparison to the DT770 Pro 80 yet (I may have missed it somewhere though).

I dislike bloated, muddy bass (V-Moda M100) and prefer tight, controlled, and good sub-bass (DT 770 Pro 80). Would an EDM basshead like me be disappointed if I decided to upgrade to the DT-1770?

If you like the DT770 you'll like the DT1770 but the DT770 is not neutral. Elevated bass and elevated treble give a V signature like most Beyerdynamic headphones.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/BeyerdynamicDT770.pdf

http://ko.goldenears.net/board/index.php?mid=GR_Headphones&search_target=title&search_keyword=770&document_srl=961552

The story about the DT1770 being placed next to the HD800 is amusing but I'd avoid the hype. Threads for a particular product are always skewed towards people that praise the product who tend to post a lot. That's why it's always worth looking for other sources.

I don't think it's worth anywhere near what they're currently charging for it. There aren't many closed headphones with a V shaped frequency response that I'd consider portable. Plenty of semi-open/closed headphones with poor noise isolation for home use though. I'd rather have a Fostex TH-X00.

Dec 31, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #1,339 of 3,701
  I've read through the thread and this seems to be an interesting pair for sure. I've not seen a comparison to the DT770 Pro 80 yet (I may have missed it somewhere though).

I dislike bloated, muddy bass (V-Moda M100) and prefer tight, controlled, and good sub-bass (DT 770 Pro 80). Would an EDM basshead like me be disappointed if I decided to upgrade to the DT-1770?

While I would not call the DT770/80 bass controlled and tight (but very much fun for EDM), the DT1770 is. But subbass volume is less than on the DT770/80, even a bit overshadowed in my feeling by the slight midbass hump. Overall I'd say the DT1770 is much cleaner.

I don't think it's worth anywhere near what they're currently charging for it. There aren't many closed headphones with a V shaped frequency response that I'd consider portable. Plenty of semi-open/closed headphones with poor noise isolation for home use though. I'd rather have a Fostex TH-X00.

That holds true for almost any of the models higher up in hierarchy... price is always subjective and of course the perception depends a lot on the amount of money one is willing (and able) to throw at this hobby. Still I'd say 600,- is fair for the DT1770. 
Given the primary target audience for the DT1770 (its not audiophiles...) they are a better fit than TH900 or TH-X00, even if the latter is not that V-shaped.

Dec 31, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #1,340 of 3,701

While I would not call the DT770/80 bass controlled and tight (but very much fun for EDM), the DT1770 is. But subbass volume is less than on the DT770/80, even a bit overshadowed in my feeling by the slight midbass hump. Overall I'd say the DT1770 is much cleaner.

Sorry, I meant relative to other 'basshead cans' which tend to be boomy. Of course I don't really expect any can under $1000 to beat my Audeze LCD-2 in terms of bass quality, but I was in the hunt for a transportable closed back to use.

A portable version of the DT770 pro 80 would suit my needs perfectly, but so far my search has been unsuccessful. It seems the 1770 is much cleaner and tighter as you said, and less sub-bass apparently which might not make it fun enough for EDM.

I guess I'll wait for a price drop, as I think at MSRP they are a tad expensive. It would probably sell well at $399 though.

Dec 31, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #1,341 of 3,701
  Sorry, I meant relative to other 'basshead cans' which tend to be boomy. Of course I don't expect any can under $1000 to beat my Audeze LCD-2 in terms of quality, but I was in the hunt for a transportable closed back to use.

A portable version of the DT770 pro 80 would suit my needs perfectly, but so far my search has been unsuccessful. It seems the 1770 is much cleaner and tighter as you said, and less sub-bass apparently and it might not make it fun enough for EDM.

I guess I'll wait for a price drop, as I think at MSRP they are a tad experience. It would probably sell well at $399 though.

The DT 1770 and the DT 770 share the same outer dimensions, they fit into the same case. So both are equally portable. The DT770/80 sounds good to me, the DT1770 sounds refined across the board. And the DT 1770 seems to sell well at it's given price point. the best discount was on Amazon for around the price you want, so you just need to wait if you can. @plakat seems to use headphones mostly for EDM, so he could answer you if, or if not the DT1770 should be used for that genre.

Dec 31, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #1,342 of 3,701

I picked up a DT1770 and a DT880/250 yesterday.

Been listening to them bit by bit.

They are both plugged into an A20 (thanks to @Youth for the trade) and a Dragonfly feeds the A20. (Yes, looking to explore other DACs)

I got into this forum to find neutral headphones for producing a documentary. Thing is, I love my music a lot as well so this "for work" thing also turned into a hobby and I'm fearful for my wallet.

In any case. I can post impressions later on, once I've got a really good idea on what's happening.

So far I can say, in simple terms, that the DT 1770 is a very musical headphone. I really enjoy music with it. The DT 880 is neutral and it feels it gives you a lot of details so you can listen to the sounds easier. DT 1770 feels more neutral than DT 770. The graph posted above from the Korean site, I'd say is not accurate to my experience. The DT770/32 fits that bill more (the peak on the treble) because the DT 1770 does not have that harsh treble the 770/32 has.

Both, 1770 and 880, show you the shortcomings of your recordings. Badly recorded music sounds terrible. Metallica's infamous Death Magnetic sounds horrid. Buena Vista Social Club sounds great. mp3s can't keep up.

I'd say that, my impression is, the DT880 sounds like the AKG K712 I tried at a shop earlier this year.

Happy New Year to you all!

Jan 1, 2016 at 6:05 AM Post #1,344 of 3,701

I picked up a DT1770 and a DT880/250 yesterday.

Been listening to them bit by bit.

They are both plugged into an A20 (thanks to @Youth for the trade) and a Dragonfly feeds the A20. (Yes, looking to explore other DACs)

I got into this forum to find neutral headphones for producing a documentary. Thing is, I love my music a lot as well so this "for work" thing also turned into a hobby and I'm fearful for my wallet.

In any case. I can post impressions later on, once I've got a really good idea on what's happening.

So far I can say, in simple terms, that the DT 1770 is a very musical headphone. I really enjoy music with it. The DT 880 is neutral and it feels it gives you a lot of details so you can listen to the sounds easier. DT 1770 feels more neutral than DT 770. The graph posted above from the Korean site, I'd say is not accurate to my experience. The DT770/32 fits that bill more (the peak on the treble) because the DT 1770 does not have that harsh treble the 770/32 has.

Both, 1770 and 880, show you the shortcomings of your recordings. Badly recorded music sounds terrible. Metallica's infamous Death Magnetic sounds horrid. Buena Vista Social Club sounds great. mp3s can't keep up.

I'd say that, my impression is, the DT880 sounds like the AKG K712 I tried at a shop earlier this year.

Happy New Year to you all!

A big difference I find between the 880 and 712 is that the 712 has a much bigger sound-stage, in all directions, affording better instrument imaging and layering of sound in more complex music but the 880 is still a favourite can.

Jan 1, 2016 at 3:33 PM Post #1,345 of 3,701
Someone asked if the standard velours fit the DT 1770. They do:

Below: Standard DT 1770 velours next to DT 770/32 pleathers

There is, maybe, 1mm difference in the outer ring of the pads that connects to the headphone itself.
Maybe a small enough difference to say it's manufacturing tolerance at play.
It would also appear that the standard silver velours are "taller" than the black DT 1770 velours. Again, not a huge difference (will come back with a pic later to confirm)
If your pads "flexible lip" hasnt been too worn out (a bit like mine from changing them in an out a lot) then they will fit snug and comfy.
If they're a bit worn out (as in, got some creases or folding parts) then you may need to just make sure that they rest well in the groove of the DT 1770.

I'll report back but I do believe that there is a sound difference...maybe due to the fact that my old velours are a bit worn.
Worth noting, the "fill" of the velours appears different between the DT 1770 and the DT 770/880 but I can't completely tell.
Maybe we can ask @hanselmann from Beyer if the velours of the DT 1770 are the standard velours but in black.

Jan 1, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #1,346 of 3,701
  Someone asked if the standard velours fit the DT 1770. They do:

Below: Standard DT 1770 velours next to DT 770/32 pleathers

There is, maybe, 1mm difference in the outer ring of the pads that connects to the headphone itself.
Maybe a small enough difference to say it's manufacturing tolerance at play.
It would also appear that the standard silver velours are "taller" than the black DT 1770 velours. Again, not a huge difference (will come back with a pic later to confirm)
If your pads "flexible lip" hasnt been too worn out (a bit like mine from changing them in an out a lot) then they will fit snug and comfy.
If they're a bit worn out (as in, got some creases or folding parts) then you may need to just make sure that they rest well in the groove of the DT 1770.

I'll report back but I do believe that there is a sound difference...maybe due to the fact that my old velours are a bit worn.
Worth noting, the "fill" of the velours appears different between the DT 1770 and the DT 770/880 but I can't completely tell.
Maybe we can ask @hanselmann from Beyer if the velours of the DT 1770 are the standard velours but in black.

Yea thx u for posting the pictures :) I think they're the same, as I wouldn't think Beyer would spend time and money just to make another different earpads just for the DT1770.  As a business standpoint, making something new  would require a new manufacture process and assembly line.  So 
I can tell you that it's 100% the same earpads just in black color :)

Jan 1, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #1,347 of 3,701
Yea thx u for posting the pictures :) I think they're the same, as I wouldn't think Beyer would spend time and money just to make another different earpads just for the DT1770.  As a business standpoint, making something new  would require a new manufacture process and assembly line.  So 
I can tell you that it's 100% the same earpads just in black color :)

They will all fit,but also sound different. I was assured on IFA Berlin, that the pads have different padding, different clothing and different small holes on the backside to get the sound that they wanted.

Jan 2, 2016 at 6:12 AM Post #1,348 of 3,701
pietcux is right. I just checked.
Pads are not the same.
Standard velours have holes.
1770 velours don't have holes.
Filling feels different on my old velours.
Filling feels similar to the new DT 800 velours (same as old ones I have, but new) so it could be same filling but broken in.
Design is different.
Standard velours are taller.
Standard velours outer diameter is also slightly larger.
Inner hole looks about the same.

I'll come back to confirm or deny if there is any sound difference.

Jan 2, 2016 at 7:21 AM Post #1,349 of 3,701
  Sorry, I meant relative to other 'basshead cans' which tend to be boomy. Of course I don't really expect any can under $1000 to beat my Audeze LCD-2 in terms of bass quality, but I was in the hunt for a transportable closed back to use.

A portable version of the DT770 pro 80 would suit my needs perfectly, but so far my search has been unsuccessful. It seems the 1770 is much cleaner and tighter as you said, and less sub-bass apparently which might not make it fun enough for EDM.

I guess I'll wait for a price drop, as I think at MSRP they are a tad expensive. It would probably sell well at $399 though.

I listen to EDM with the DT1770's and the bass on these is adequate though not boomy. It's a more controlled, tight bass. So I doubt a 'basshead' would like these. I can't compare 'em to a DT770 because I've never heard those.
Positive side however, the DT1770's can become a bass can if you use the equalizer function of say AIMP player and then they pack quite a punch! I do use them like this and enjoy EDM on my 1770's a lot :)
I hope this answers your question?

Kind Regards,

Peter

Jan 2, 2016 at 7:53 AM Post #1,350 of 3,701
  pietcux is right. I just checked.
Pads are not the same.
Standard velours have holes.
1770 velours don't have holes.
Filling feels different on my old velours.
Filling feels similar to the new DT 800 velours (same as old ones I have, but new) so it could be same filling but broken in.
Design is different.
Standard velours are taller.
Standard velours outer diameter is also slightly larger.
Inner hole looks about the same.

I'll come back to confirm or deny if there is any sound difference.

This would be great to get your sonic impressions using all these different pads. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back