Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Dec 7, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #1,143 of 3,701
@Suuup -I just gotten a reply from them and they reinstated my order but I have to pay $503 plus import fee deposit which is fine by me .... just wondering whether I'll gt back the Import Fees Deposit if the cans weren't taxed over here.

Thanks for the initial nudge as I was on the fence contemplating whether to contact them ...
beerchug.gif

Dec 7, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #1,144 of 3,701
  @Suuup -I just gotten a reply from them and they reinstated my order but I have to pay $503 plus import fee deposit which is fine by me .... just wondering whether I'll gt back the Import Fees Deposit if the cans weren't taxed over here.

Thanks for the initial nudge as I was on the fence contemplating whether to contact them ...
beerchug.gif

No problem! Why do you have to pay 503 and not 400 like me? 

Dec 7, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #1,145 of 3,701
  No problem! Why do you have to pay 503 and not 400 like me? 

That's a good question ... the way they put it, seems like I did not enter the discount code on 'time' ... I then asked them before what time is considered on time on Black Friday and they can't answer me. haha!!!  They say they'll have to check and get back to me ,,,,  well, I'll just leave it as it is for now till they get it resolve.  Still, I got to save around $350 compare to the price for the cans over here.

Dec 7, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #1,146 of 3,701
I just contacted Amazon about doing the same thing and they agreed. I have to say that it's pretty exceptional customer service to give me a refund on an order I already cancelled to buy the headphones from another seller on Amazon. I was pretty bummed that it might be a while before I got these, but not anymore. Thanks Suuup for posting your positive dealings!

Dec 8, 2015 at 12:10 AM Post #1,147 of 3,701
I just contacted Amazon about doing the same thing and they agreed. I have to say that it's pretty exceptional customer service to give me a refund on an order I already cancelled to buy the headphones from another seller on Amazon. I was pretty bummed that it might be a while before I got these, but not anymore. Thanks Suuup for posting your positive dealings!

No problem man! Glad to hear you're all getting those beautiful headphones for cheap! The more the merrier.

Dec 8, 2015 at 6:33 AM Post #1,148 of 3,701
Looking to buy one of these soon! I am extremely happy with my DT 770 Pro (250 ohm version), and if the DT 1770 has a similar sound signature as this but with better sound quality across the board it seems like the perfect upgrade for me.

One thing I really like about my DT 770 is the bass extension and "oomph" is has. Trying out headphones with less extension and punch in the bottom end just feels really underwhelming to me, even if they are extremely good in all the other areas. I find bass extension really important as it sort of lays the foundation for all the frequencies above it, and if that foundation of bottom end texture is lacking from the overall sound picture it all falls apart in my opinion.

To make an example: I tried both the Denon AH-MM400 and B&W P7 at a hi-fi store yesterday. The first test track I put on was "Mountains" from the Interstellar soundtrack on Tidal Hi-Fi, and while the mids and treble were great, the climax that starts at around 1:55 just lacked impact due to the drivers not being able to paint out the lower frequencies. Another good test track would be "Stay" from the same album, where the part that begins at 1:35 has a very important low bass note that serves as the foundation for the organ melody above. Again, if this is missing the whole thing just lacks musical impact. I know it's not fair to compare them to the DT770 as they have smaller drivers and are meant to be portable headphones, it's just that with how I'm used to these tracks sounding I couldn't help feeling underwhelmed. A part of the music was quite literally missing. I'm sure they are great HPs for their intended mobile use, though.

Out of curiosity, could any of you guys who have a DT1770 do this bass test on youtube and report when the bass rolls off and becomes inaudible? My 770 goes down to about 22-23hz before I can't hear it anymore:

Dec 8, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #1,150 of 3,701
  Looking to buy one of these soon! I am extremely happy with my DT 770 Pro (250 ohm version), and if the DT 1770 has a similar sound signature as this but with better sound quality across the board it seems like the perfect upgrade for me.

One thing I really like about my DT 770 is the bass extension and "oomph" is has. Trying out headphones with less extension and punch in the bottom end just feels really underwhelming to me, even if they are extremely good in all the other areas. I find bass extension really important as it sort of lays the foundation for all the frequencies above it, and if that foundation of bottom end texture is lacking from the overall sound picture it all falls apart in my opinion.

To make an example: I tried both the Denon AH-MM400 and B&W P7 at a hi-fi store yesterday. The first test track I put on was "Mountains" from the Interstellar soundtrack on Tidal Hi-Fi, and while the mids and treble were great, the climax that starts at around 1:55 just lacked impact due to the drivers not being able to paint out the lower frequencies. Another good test track would be "Stay" from the same album, where the part that begins at 1:35 has a very important low bass note that serves as the foundation for the organ melody above. Again, if this is missing the whole thing just lacks musical impact. I know it's not fair to compare them to the DT770 as they have smaller drivers and are meant to be portable headphones, it's just that with how I'm used to these tracks sounding I couldn't help feeling underwhelmed. A part of the music was quite literally missing. I'm sure they are great HPs for their intended mobile use, though.

Out of curiosity, could any of you guys who have a DT1770 do this bass test on youtube and report when the bass rolls off and becomes inaudible? My 770 goes down to about 22-23hz before I can't hear it anymore:

There is a drop @ let's say 23 Hz, but then again I can clearly hear something down to 4Hz. Much more silent, but clearly ever slowing frequencies.

Dec 8, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #1,152 of 3,701

I hear something to about 18hz or so. If you hear something down to 4hz, you must have the volume all the way to -0.0dB!

The sub-bass drops out for me around 18-19 Hz as well. Still very strong at 21 Hz. In my opinion bass extension on the 1770 is superior to the 770-250. Kohe, you're going to like these headphones if you like bass extension.

I also hear a very light noise all the way down to 4 Hz, it just isn't the rumble you expect from a floor subwoofer. The sub-bass drops out around 18 Hz and then it just sounds like a very distant helicopter....

Dec 9, 2015 at 5:42 AM Post #1,153 of 3,701
So, funny thing. I just checked my bank account, to see if the refund went through yet. It did. Well, some of it did. I only got 150$ for some reason? I'm talking with their live chat support right now. Says it must be a mistake, and that they'll refund me the last 50$ immediately. 

I really like Amazon support. No fuss or anything. 

Dec 9, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #1,154 of 3,701
So I received my DT 1770s in the mail today and after a few minutes I can say color me impressed so far! I purchased the Sennheiser HD 630vb alongside it to see which one I'd like more and I can say for me (not everyone) the DT 1770 is a perfect match. I'm extremely happy that the typical Beyer harshness doesn't apply to these. 

Dec 9, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #1,155 of 3,701
Anybody else notice that the sweep tone continues to get louder then quieter than louder again (by about +/- 3dB) as it progresses?

Probably not the most accurate test, but it should still be good enough to give you a rough idea of your headphone's low bass cut-off point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back