Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Sep 8, 2016 at 7:34 PM Post #2,356 of 3,701
I've been looking for a closed set of headphones to complement my DT990 Premiums (250 ohm) and after much research of myriad options (P7, MDR-1A, B&O H6, Momentums) I was simply going to buy DT-770s and deal with the narrower soundstage until I started reading about the 1770s... and then found them for on sale for $440 at Sonic Electronix (authorized dealer) 
L3000.gif

I opted for the cheap (free) shipping so it'll be a week until I get them, but will post my impressions when I do. Now I guess I'll have to start saving for the DT-1990 to replace my trusty 990s. 

Edit: some first impressions (new out of box, velour pads) -- compared to the DT990, these have far more depth and mid-range presence, which give the initial impression of less overall bass than the DT990, but in fact the bass is slightly more powerful and digs deeper, albeit without such a pronounced mid-bass hump that can make the DT990 so much fun to listen to (YMMV). Switching between the two, the DT990 sounds slightly hollow, but ultimately slightly more relaxing... less "dynamic" for want of a better term. Some of this effect is probably down to the closed vs open signature. I've never had a problem with the highs on the DT990, and the sparkle is still very much there on the 1770s but, as with the bass, they sound slightly less forward thanks to the slightly greater presence of the mids. Resolution of the 1770s is pretty darn good... slightly better even than the 990s. Will be interesting to see how the 1770s (and my ears) burn in over the next few weeks.

Sep 18, 2016 at 7:18 PM Post #2,358 of 3,701
Couldn't help noticing,
an all-black limited editions of DT 990 and DT 880
are also available on Amazon.

l

If only we could talk beyerdynamic into replacing the fixed cables with detachable ones as standard ....

Sep 21, 2016 at 6:10 AM Post #2,359 of 3,701
Just chiming in, these things sound fantastic!

Great job bayer, these are a huge improvement to the original.

Sep 22, 2016 at 2:40 AM Post #2,361 of 3,701
Hi guys,

I havent posted on headfi (or barely read it) in years; ive been that happy with my ultrasone signature djs.

However im getting back into electronic music production and after some fairly neutral closed isolating cans for home (leaving the sig djs at work for listening fun). I have akg k7xxs for open mixing work although i find they dont go very low and aren't as clear as id like. I was thinking Focal Spirit Pros or Ultrasone signature pros but ive heard both have comfort issues. Then i realised the dt1770s existed... has anyone compared them to either the FSPs or USPs?

I really love the signatures so its a tougj choice, but these beyers are cheaper and i love beyers too; and if the sound quality is really good and quite neutral on all 3 then the beyers might win on comfort alone!

Thanks

Sep 22, 2016 at 4:37 AM Post #2,362 of 3,701
Hi guys,

I havent posted on headfi (or barely read it) in years; ive been that happy with my ultrasone signature djs.

However im getting back into electronic music production and after some fairly neutral closed isolating cans for home (leaving the sig djs at work for listening fun). I have akg k7xxs for open mixing work although i find they dont go very low and aren't as clear as id like. I was thinking Focal Spirit Pros or Ultrasone signature pros but ive heard both have comfort issues. Then i realised the dt1770s existed... has anyone compared them to either the FSPs or USPs?

I really love the signatures so its a tougj choice, but these beyers are cheaper and i love beyers too; and if the sound quality is really good and quite neutral on all 3 then the beyers might win on comfort alone!

Thanks

I had both, the Sig Pro and Dj. They are identical in comfort, or discomfort. So if you like the Sig Dj, take the Sig Pro. For me the earcups where just a bit too small. The DT1770 cups are larger for sure. The best comfort I ever had from headphones is the AKG K702 and the Sony MDR-Z7. THE Z7 is even more fun than the Sig Djs.
If you want to be happy for years, take the Sig Pro and run as fast as you can away from this site......

Sep 23, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #2,363 of 3,701

So the DT-1770 is my intro to higher quality audio and I'm so incredibly impressed by simply running them off my desktop and the little hifime sabre dac. I'm thinking of picking up a fiio e12a. Wondering if that's a decent option at the $150 price point - even if I only listen at my desktop and don't need the portability? I listen to mostly electronic, metal, and some classical thrown in, if that makes a difference. Really appreciate any input!

Sep 23, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #2,364 of 3,701

[COLOR=000000]So the DT-1770 is my intro to higher quality audio and I'm so incredibly impressed by simply running them off my desktop and the little hifime sabre dac. I'm thinking of picking up a fiio e12a. Wondering if that's a decent option at the $150 price point - even if I only listen at my desktop and don't need the portability? I listen to mostly electronic, metal, and some classical thrown in, if that makes a difference. Really appreciate any input![/color]

Excellent amp for $120. You won't be disappointed.

Sep 24, 2016 at 2:44 AM Post #2,365 of 3,701
I had both, the Sig Pro and Dj. They are identical in comfort, or discomfort. So if you like the Sig Dj, take the Sig Pro. For me the earcups where just a bit too small. The DT1770 cups are larger for sure. The best comfort I ever had from headphones is the AKG K702 and the Sony MDR-Z7. THE Z7 is even more fun than the Sig Djs.
If you want to be happy for years, take the Sig Pro and run as fast as you can away from this site......

I thought the sigpro drivers were smaller so the cups were too? Or cups/pads are the same? At first i didnt like the clamp or pad size but once they broke in they almost fused with my head haha. I am one with the sigdjs and they are comfy :) i guess the pros would be too over time. Perhaps thats my answer... though the dt1770s are probably great, and cheaper, the ultrasone signature line is simply amazing.

Sep 24, 2016 at 6:30 AM Post #2,366 of 3,701
I thought the sigpro drivers were smaller so the cups were too? Or cups/pads are the same? At first i didnt like the clamp or pad size but once they broke in they almost fused with my head haha. I am one with the sigdjs and they are comfy :) i guess the pros would be too over time. Perhaps thats my answer... though the dt1770s are probably great, and cheaper, the ultrasone signature line is simply amazing.

The Sig Pro shares the identical housing, only different color and drivers.

Sep 27, 2016 at 6:03 PM Post #2,369 of 3,701
That is good to hear. I would hate having to go for another model, as I really like these, when they work :)

I have been lurking on the DT1990 thread too, it seems to be an interesting headphone. However I don't feel like I need less bass quantity than I get with the DT1770.

Sep 27, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #2,370 of 3,701
  That is good to hear. I would hate having to go for another model, as I really like these, when they work :)

I have been lurking on the DT1990 thread too, it seems to be an interesting headphone. However I don't feel like I need less bass quantity than I get with the DT1770.

It has more bass quantity than the DT 1770 overall to my ears with the balanced pads, the DT 1770 has a little more sub-bass presence but not mid-bass.

Yeah, same I really like the Dt 1770 as well, but not sure what to do since I got the DT 1990 they aren't getting used much. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back