Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro vs. Neumann NDH 20 for bass-heavy electronic music production.

Which one would you suggest?

• Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro

• Neumann NDH 20

Results are only viewable after voting.
Sep 12, 2019 at 2:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Wertigo

New Head-Fier
Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro vs. Neumann NDH 20 for bass-heavy electronic music production.

Hi there,

Unfortunately I'm not in the position to try out headphones pre-purchase, so I would be really interested in feedback/comparison from anyone who has experience with both of these cans.

I'm especially interested in their low-end performance, detail and intensity.

It's also worth mentioning, that I'm planning to drive them with a Roland Rubix 24 interface, and I would prefer not to buy a separate headphone amp.

Cheers!

Sep 12, 2019 at 3:44 PM Post #2 of 18
Have not yet heard the Neumann but am reading and hearing very mixed reviews personally (so far). The DT1770 is in my opinion a terrific closed headphone. It is not, however, any kind of bass cannon. Its sibling, the open DT1990, actually hits harder in my view, odd as that may seem.

In order to best assist you, I really, really think we need more information, starting with your budget. What is it? Secondly, with respect to this headphone's bass performance, are you looking for a headphone that emphasizes bass, or are you seeking something more balanced and neutral that simply and honestly delivers the signal with as little added (or subtracted) coloration as possible for the money? Third, if we found you a headphone that seems to fulfill all your criteria, but which does much better with an appropriate amp, would you be open to adding an amp into the mix with your Roland in order to get max performance out of the transducer?

Sep 12, 2019 at 4:37 PM Post #3 of 18
Have not yet heard the Neumann but am reading and hearing very mixed reviews personally (so far). The DT1770 is in my opinion a terrific closed headphone. It is not, however, any kind of bass cannon. Its sibling, the open DT1990, actually hits harder in my view, odd as that may seem.

In order to best assist you, I really, really think we need more information, starting with your budget. What is it? Secondly, with respect to this headphone's bass performance, are you looking for a headphone that emphasizes bass, or are you seeking something more balanced and neutral that simply and honestly delivers the signal with as little added (or subtracted) coloration as possible for the money? Third, if we found you a headphone that seems to fulfill all your criteria, but which does much better with an appropriate amp, would you be open to adding an amp into the mix with your Roland in order to get max performance out of the transducer?

Thanks for your answer serman!

My budget is $500-600 tops, but I would prefer the lower value. I really don't want to spend anymore, and that's exactly why I would like to avoid buying a separate amp as well.
I'm upgrading from an AKG K702. It's a fine headphone, but quite light in the low-end department, which is a big "no-no" for electronic musicians, and causes me to overcompensate the low-end all the time.

As far as I know, closed-back cans are more bass-heavy in general, that's why I ended up with these two options. I was also considering the Ultrasone Signature Studio, the DT 1990 PRO and the Adam Audio Studio Pro SP-5 (I want a German brand), but based on price and internet reviews, I'm leaning towards the 2 in the title.

I will use this headphone for everything: track/mix/master/produce. Hence, I'm not looking for a bass-head headphone, but a very prominent/solid bass is a must. It doesn't have to be a boringly fat response, a slightly elevated bass is probably preferred.

Sep 13, 2019 at 12:03 AM Post #4 of 18
Hi @Wertigo,

For somewhat useful information on the NDH 20, I suggest looking at the dedicated thread below, started by @FullBright1, who can also give you a better rundown on both headphones.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/neumann-ndh-20.898630/

Also, as a NDH 20 owner & someone heavy into Sound Monitoring, I may be slightly biased but while I only own the NDH 20, I have also heard the DT 1700 Pro separately & side by side.
Subjectively & personally, I prefer the NDH 20.

It is important to note the NDH 20 has a very even, balanced sound across the frequency range so if you're looking for elevated bass response, this may not be the headphone for you as this in more in line with a more natural, accurate bass response as it is a Mastering/Mixing headphone, after all...however, saying that, depending on source & track recording quality, the NDH 20 does & will pick up any emphasis in the bass response VERY ACCURATELY, eg, 6 db + though if any track has an average 8 db + in bass then NDH 20 may feel Bass Responsive but your mileage will vary.
In short, as long as your work has the bass response you're after then it should come across, especially since the isolation on NDH 20 is close to anechoic but in a good way.

For a slightly more bass elevated headphone, I would suggest looking into the Sony 1AM2 as it goes down to 5 hz so any bass emphasised tracks you have will definitely come across with a kick though isolation is average for these headphones.

Ultrasone Signature DXP might also work for you though subjectively sound is closer to slightly less refined version of NDH 20.

Hope this makes sense, feel free to ask more if you need.

Hope you have a great day !

Sep 13, 2019 at 8:42 AM Post #6 of 18
After many years trying various mid to high end headphones, about 5 years ago I settled with my AKG K701 and Q701. But recently, I wanted a good closed headphone, so I picked up the DT1770s. I think they're terrific. They have significantly more bass than the AKGs, but it's not overwelming to me at all.

Sep 13, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #7 of 18
After many years trying various mid to high end headphones, about 5 years ago I settled with my AKG K701 and Q701. But recently, I wanted a good closed headphone, so I picked up the DT1770s. I think they're terrific. They have significantly more bass than the AKGs, but it's not overwelming to me at all.

That's good te hear, thanks for your feedback!
I assume the K702s are quite close in sound to the K701s.

Sep 16, 2019 at 5:22 AM Post #8 of 18
Hello @PaganDL ,

Thanks a lot for your help, I just posted in that thread as well! :thumbsup:
Do you by any chance have experience with the AKG K702s? If so, how would you compare the sound of the Neumann's sound to those?

@Wertigo,

Sadly no experience with K 702s though I have heard other AKGs but was a very long time ago so can't help you there.

Not to mention, AKGs are very limited to get, let alone demo where I am which is annoying but that's life.

Hope you have a great day !

Sep 16, 2019 at 5:40 AM Post #9 of 18
I would say neither, but if you had to pick, ypu cant go wrong with tried and true beyer headphones. They've been making headphones longer than neumann. I think neumann only just released their entry into the headphone market in the last year or so. And from what ive been told, theyre using drivers from another brand that have been tuned for their idea of a studio sound. Which isnt an ideal sound. There are more "love it or hate it" people in neumanns camp than beyers, beyers generally have a more positive croud, but be aware some higher frequencies may be more sharp than usual.

Sep 17, 2019 at 7:24 AM Post #10 of 18
I would say neither, but if you had to pick, ypu cant go wrong with tried and true beyer headphones. They've been making headphones longer than neumann. I think neumann only just released their entry into the headphone market in the last year or so. And from what ive been told, theyre using drivers from another brand that have been tuned for their idea of a studio sound. Which isnt an ideal sound. There are more "love it or hate it" people in neumanns camp than beyers, beyers generally have a more positive croud, but be aware some higher frequencies may be more sharp than usual.

Very good information, thanks for your input!
I am leaning heavily towards the 1770s. I'm just very slightly worried about the sharp highs, to which I'm quite sensitive to. I would probably prefer the more laid back highs on the Neumann, but I assume the low-end is better on the 1770s, which is really important for me (this is all based on reviews, not personal experience).

Sep 17, 2019 at 3:06 PM Post #11 of 18
I haven't heard them both, only the 1770, but just for my curiosity:
For what reasons are you limited to this two headphones in your decision?

The DT 1770 Pro are not explicit basshead phones, but i like them for electronic music.

Sep 17, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #12 of 18
I haven't heard them both, only the 1770, but just for my curiosity:
For what reasons are you limited to this two headphones in your decision?

The DT 1770 Pro are not explicit basshead phones, but i like them for electronic music.

I've read and watched as many reviews and articles as I could, and these 2 seem to be the best fit for my needs (possibly from any price range). The Adam Audio Studio Pro SP-5, the Ultrasone Signature Studio and the BD 1990 Pro was also on my list, but I've narrowed my view on these 2.
I don't need a basshead phone, but I'm gonna use these cans to produce bass heavy music. Hence, I need a very good, detailed and opulent perspective on the low end, since usually that's the most important range to get right first in electronic music production.

Sep 18, 2019 at 5:18 AM Post #13 of 18
The DT1770 is in my opinion a terrific closed headphone. It is not, however, any kind of bass cannon. Its sibling, the open DT1990, actually hits harder in my view, odd as that may seem.
That doesn't sound right to me at all.
This is completely the opposite of my experience and objective measurements on the internet.
DT1990 is close to the DT880 600 ohm in it's neutrality.
DT1770 is even bassier than the DT770 Pro 80 ohm, and has some of the juiciest sub-bass thunder I've ever heard from any headphone.

Sep 18, 2019 at 6:25 AM Post #14 of 18
That doesn't sound right to me at all.
This is completely the opposite of my experience and objective measurements on the internet.
DT1990 is close to the DT880 600 ohm in it's neutrality.
DT1770 is even bassier than the DT770 Pro 80 ohm, and has some of the juiciest sub-bass thunder I've ever heard from any headphone.
It's just been my experience and that of some other listeners/reviewers as well, I do believe. But I respect your take and I hear you.

Sep 18, 2019 at 7:28 AM Post #15 of 18
It's just been my experience and that of some other listeners/reviewers as well, I do believe. But I respect your take and I hear you.

I think I know why that might be.
Based on frequency response graphs there's a dip around 230Hz in the 1770s, but not in the 1990. In acoustic music that's around the range where the majority of the "punch" comes from, but in electronic music, the lower basses (30-150Hz) are much more prominent. I believe this might be the sole reason why some people think that the 1990s are more bass heavy, but based on the graphs, that's only true for that 160-330Hz range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back