Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro vs. Neumann NDH 20 for bass-heavy electronic music production.

Which one would you suggest?

• Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro

• Neumann NDH 20

Results are only viewable after voting.
Sep 18, 2019 at 8:07 AM Post #16 of 18
@Wertigo,

Aside from bass, or sub bass & it sounds like you're leaning towards consumer bass rather than pro bass which is neither good or bad, it just is...are you looking for good accuracy & detail across the frequency range as well or just that consumer bass?

Subjectively & personally, Beyers in general, have boosted bass to some degree as well as uneven highs (though this is dependant on headphone & source pairing) so you're potentially going to lose ' a very good, detailed and opulent perspective on the low end, since usually that's the most important range to get right first in electronic music production' as you stated...

As a side note, I am sensitive to highs myself & while DT 1770 Pro doesn't hit any where close to my threshold, the highs do sound flattened against the NDH 20.

As said in my earlier post, if you're after accuracy & detail across frequency range, NDH 20 is a 'better' pick as there IS NO EMPHASIS FR but it will pick up whatever boost in the frequency YOU YOURSELF as the producer/mixer/engineer has put in the track.
So it's all on you then it becomes how much bass you want to put in the track &/or album if using said headphones.
In other words, say you want to put in a +6 db bass boost to a track or even a stem, you will hear that +6 db boost you put in said track &/or stem during playback as the NDH 20 itself has no emphasis or bass but accuracy & detail as stated.

Whereas, if you apply that +6 db boost with DT 1770 Pro, it will simply fatten & expand said track's bass response x 2 average though it's closer to 3.5 x but that also depends on the amplifier, of course.

So the question is do you want to apply the 'correct' bass response to your mixes the first time every time, especially if testing playback on different systems over adding more steps in your workflow to just correct for a +3db average on the DT 1770 Pro?

Hope this makes sense.

Feel free to ask more.

Hope you have a great day !

Sep 18, 2019 at 9:55 AM Post #17 of 18
@Wertigo,

Aside from bass, or sub bass & it sounds like you're leaning towards consumer bass rather than pro bass which is neither good or bad, it just is...are you looking for good accuracy & detail across the frequency range as well or just that consumer bass?

Subjectively & personally, Beyers in general, have boosted bass to some degree as well as uneven highs (though this is dependant on headphone & source pairing) so you're potentially going to lose ' a very good, detailed and opulent perspective on the low end, since usually that's the most important range to get right first in electronic music production' as you stated...

As a side note, I am sensitive to highs myself & while DT 1770 Pro doesn't hit any where close to my threshold, the highs do sound flattened against the NDH 20.

As said in my earlier post, if you're after accuracy & detail across frequency range, NDH 20 is a 'better' pick as there IS NO EMPHASIS FR but it will pick up whatever boost in the frequency YOU YOURSELF as the producer/mixer/engineer has put in the track.
So it's all on you then it becomes how much bass you want to put in the track &/or album if using said headphones.
In other words, say you want to put in a +6 db bass boost to a track or even a stem, you will hear that +6 db boost you put in said track &/or stem during playback as the NDH 20 itself has no emphasis or bass but accuracy & detail as stated.

Whereas, if you apply that +6 db boost with DT 1770 Pro, it will simply fatten & expand said track's bass response x 2 average though it's closer to 3.5 x but that also depends on the amplifier, of course.

So the question is do you want to apply the 'correct' bass response to your mixes the first time every time, especially if testing playback on different systems over adding more steps in your workflow to just correct for a +3db average on the DT 1770 Pro?

Hope this makes sense.

Feel free to ask more.

Hello Pagan,

I don't think I'm leaning towards consumer bass, we're talking about $500-600 studio headphones after all, which were designed to mix/track/master, and I obviously need detail everywhere else on the frequency spectrum as well.
I understand that based on your experience the NDH 20s are more flat, but a flat response is not necessarily the best for bass heavy music production.

Each of us has different hearing based solely on physics and biology, but we also have different standards based on experience and preference.
As electronic musicians, we are constantly exposed to listening environments with enormous low end, so you kinda get used to that sound. Now, if you try to recreate that same feeling/sound - either willingly or subconsciously - while producing, than you will sure as hell overemphasize the low end, if your monitoring system has a flat frequency response.

This is exactly why some pro headphones don't go for full flatness. They're a slightly aimed at the bass heavy electronic/pop music producers we have so many of these days, and Germany is obviously the home of electronic music. Since the headphone already has that slightly exaggerated bass built in, you will not exaggerate your mix. It's gonna end up more flat, than with flat monitoring. Ironic isn't.

But all this aside, it's not an accident that I'm considering the NDH 20s as well, they're obviously gorgeous cans, and as I heard they have great bass response as well.

Thanks for your comment, have a nice day!

Sep 23, 2019 at 5:49 AM Post #18 of 18
Hello Pagan,

I don't think I'm leaning towards consumer bass, we're talking about $500-600 studio headphones after all, which were designed to mix/track/master, and I obviously need detail everywhere else on the frequency spectrum as well.
I understand that based on your experience the NDH 20s are more flat, but a flat response is not necessarily the best for bass heavy music production.

Each of us has different hearing based solely on physics and biology, but we also have different standards based on experience and preference.
As electronic musicians, we are constantly exposed to listening environments with enormous low end, so you kinda get used to that sound. Now, if you try to recreate that same feeling/sound - either willingly or subconsciously - while producing, than you will sure as hell overemphasize the low end, if your monitoring system has a flat frequency response.

This is exactly why some pro headphones don't go for full flatness. They're a slightly aimed at the bass heavy electronic/pop music producers we have so many of these days, and Germany is obviously the home of electronic music. Since the headphone already has that slightly exaggerated bass built in, you will not exaggerate your mix. It's gonna end up more flat, than with flat monitoring. Ironic isn't.

But all this aside, it's not an accident that I'm considering the NDH 20s as well, they're obviously gorgeous cans, and as I heard they have great bass response as well.

Thanks for your comment, have a nice day!

Hi @Wertigo,

Subjectively & personally, I think you have mistaken my comments a little in my previous posts which is fine as it is potentially easy to misconstrue...

Also, a little more on my audio background for context, I tend to sit somewhere in between the pro & consumer audio world though I lean more towards the pro side of things as audio is a semi pro hobby for me, especially where Sound Monitoring is concerned so I definitely understand your requirements.

I never said NDH 20 was flat or even neutral but falls under no emphasis FR which subjectively & personally to me tends to mean 'natural sounding' though that may be slightly incorrect as well in this instance...
As said, whatever sound in the FR you will produce, especially low end you produce on your console, etc, will be exactly what will be played back, no question.

It's good you still considering the NDH 20 so as stated prior, if you can demo, I suggest doing so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back