Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro — Housing Tension Mod
Oct 2, 2023 at 8:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

azhendi

New Head-Fier
Hi all.
In this thread I want to share the mod that provide more stable and reliable driver support against the back of the headphones housing.
This mod will likely solve the bass rattling issue for this HP model.

I came to this solution after my first bad experience with these HPs (they rattled and I returned them).
Then, awaiting another pair, I did some research about bass rattling problem and learned internal construction of these HPs.
So then the second pair arrived I already had idea of this mod.
And though the new HPs were not rattling I did this mod anyway because I don't like the default housing construction.

Ok now about the mod.

The idea I came with is to change the way how the back of the driver's frame is supported against the housing.
By default this is done by the small rubber o-ring bumper glued onto the back of the driver's frame.
When HPs assembled this rubber bumper pushes against 3 plastic pins from the housing.

IMG_2017.jpeg

The problems with such design are:
  1. The bumper is too narrow and can be easily misaligned against the housing pins.
  2. The bumper's material has some memory effect and provide little overall tension between the driver's frame and the housing pins.
  3. There is glue.
The first step of the mod is to remove this default bumper.
Some flat wooden or plastic tools and q-tips with alcohol will help here.

IMG_2019.jpeg

Next, you need to provide some alternative bumpers.
IMO the best solution in this case is to use 3 silicone cylindrical bumpers.

These bumpers are cut from the silicone hose and have the following dimensions:

internal diameter = 3mm​
outer diameter = 9mm​
wall thickness = 3mm​
height = 10mm​

IMG_2021.jpeg

Next, take these bumpers and put them onto the housing pins.

IMG_2022.jpeg

Because these cylindrical bumpers a bit taller than the housing pins this gap will provide reliable and springy support for the driver's frame.

Next, carefully reassemble the HPs.
You will notice much more tension when trying to snap the driver's frame into the housing.

mqPMPGe8_o.png

Now let's see how this mod solves the problems stated above:
  1. The overall contact surface of the bumpers is greater and the pressure distributed more evenly. The bumpers will always align correctly with the driver's frame.
  2. The silicone material is very consistent and reliable and will not degrade over time. It will provide constant reliable tension. You can vary the tension strength by changing bumper's height and/or wall thickness.
  3. There is no any glue.
Hope you will find this mod useful!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back