Beyerdynamic dilemma! Need help!
Sep 10, 2010 at 7:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Yuceka

1000+ Head-Fier
Dear head-fiers 

I recently bought Beyerdynamic DT770/250 ohm to use it when I am in the library or at a cafe shop. However, when I used them with my Ipod/Macbook Pro + D4 Mamba, I noticed some distortion and the sound wasn't all that what I was expected. So I've been reading this forum like crazy and I went ahead and ordered the 32 ohm version of DT770. Now my question is due to some mixed posts, some people say that 32 ohm/250ohm won't make a difference in sound quality and some say that it will. I haven't been able to listen to 32 ohm yet since it's still yet to be shipped. Can someone give me an advice as to which one to keep? 

Another side note is that when I raised the volume a bit, my friends were able to hear me. I am basically going to use them in a library or at places where people are likely to be around me. So given this, and the fact that I don't want to compromise a significant sound quality (assuming there is such a difference between the two), which one would be more happy with my rig : Macbook Pro/Ipod + D4 Mamba ? 

Thanks a lot 

Sep 10, 2010 at 11:28 PM Post #3 of 17

Quote:
a good universal iem maybe? (isolation and leak on iem is always better than close headphone)

and may I know about what you don't like about 770/250?

Thank you for the advice! I am currently using Klipsch Image s4 and I just don't like the feel of something inside my ear. I'd much prefer full size cans even though they look more weird in public 

It's not that I didn't like anything about 770/250 but my portable amp D4 Mamba didn't seem to have enough power to drive them and there was quite a bit of distortion! This is the point I am trying to find out! Is it ok to use DT 770/250 with portable amps or am I better off with a 32 Ohm ? If so, what am I missing in SQ if I happen to return 250 ohm version? 

Sep 10, 2010 at 11:54 PM Post #4 of 17
From what I understand from posts here and the measurements on HeadRoom, the 770 32 and 250 ohm versions should sound pretty similar, while the 600 is much less bassy. The 32 should be easier to drive from a portable SS amp, and straight from the headphone out of your iPod and Macbook, so you might get less distortion . But if that distortion you heard was in the bass, though luck: it's probably the headphone itself.

Sep 11, 2010 at 12:06 AM Post #5 of 17
Thank you for the input WyldRage 

Well, it looks like I am going to return both of them. Since I need a closed pair to use in public, they shouldn't leak any noise at all. I just did a test on my laptop. I played a rock song on a reasonable level of volume and ran the Audio Recorder program on my laptop and then listened to it. Well, lo and behold, I can even tell the lyrics :frowning2: If that happened in a library or a cafe, I'd probably get weird looks. 

So I am desperately in need of a good sounding closed headphone for up to $ 300 range or even a bit more! Audio Technicas are a no no, since their 3D Wing Support gave me a headache. I loved the sound though. 
And I heard that Denons leak more sound than Beyers (That was the reason why I bought the Beyers but I guess they are not doing that job well either) 

So, I'd greatly appreciate any help or recommendation

Sep 11, 2010 at 12:14 AM Post #6 of 17
Were you wearing your headphones when doing the test? Your head blocks up a lot of the leakage.

If you absolutely can't stand any leaking, IEMs are for you. Otherwise, the first can that comes to my mind for isolation is the Sennheiser HD25.

Sep 11, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #7 of 17

Quote:
Were you wearing your headphones when doing the test? Your head blocks up a lot of the leakage.

If you absolutely can't stand any leaking, IEMs are for you. Otherwise, the first can that comes to my mind for isolation is the Sennheiser HD25.

Yes I was wearing the headphones during the test and I even stood in some distance to my laptop. 

I do have a concern about IEMs and their effect on the eardrums. Is it true or a myth that they tend to do more harm to hearing than full-sized cans? I already have some problematic ears... 

HD25 ha? Man, they look hideous and they are supra-aural. I am more into circumaurals because of their comfort. I wonder what people think of Senn HD448 and AT M50 in terms of not leaking any sound and sound quality... 

Sep 11, 2010 at 12:43 AM Post #8 of 17
Maybe you could consider a used DT 48? Isolation is awesome. The sound is legendary. The only thing is they're a tad hard to find used.

Sep 11, 2010 at 12:49 AM Post #9 of 17

Quote:
Maybe you could consider a used DT 48? Isolation is awesome. The sound is legendary. The only thing is they're a tad hard to find used.

I've never seen anyone selling one here :) Do you think they are worth $350 ? 

Sep 11, 2010 at 12:56 AM Post #10 of 17
The DT770s already isolate about as well as sealed cans can.  The HD-25s don't do any better according to headrooms graphs.  Some of Beyer's professional 'phones like the DT48 already mentioned, or the DT100 or DT150 will probably isolate a little more.  You may want to try ordering some leather pads off of Beyer's website.  Those will probably  block more sound than the standard velour pads.

Also if you like to listen that loudly you may want to get a more powerful portable amp.  I just did a test with my 770/250s clamped to my leg and turned it up till I could make out some lyrics and you are listening very loudly.

Sep 11, 2010 at 1:20 AM Post #11 of 17

Quote:
The DT770s already isolate about as well as sealed cans can.  The HD-25s don't do any better according to headrooms graphs.  Some of Beyer's professional 'phones like the DT48 already mentioned, or the DT100 or DT150 will probably isolate a little more.  You may want to try ordering some leather pads off of Beyer's website.  Those will probably  block more sound than the standard velour pads.

Also if you like to listen that loudly you may want to get a more powerful portable amp.  I just did a test with my 770/250s clamped to my leg and turned it up till I could make out some lyrics and you are listening very loudly.

Wow, thanks for doing that test :) I think you're right I am listening very loudly. I have holes in both of my ear drums and I guess that makes me want to raise the volume up, thinking that that's the reasonable volume. So, I guess no closed cans will do the trick for me ha. Maybe the only way for me to listen to something and not bother others around me is IEMS? 
Thanks for the input maverick! 

Sep 11, 2010 at 1:28 AM Post #12 of 17
So I should say that if you are reading this post and considering to buy DT770s, they may have no leakage problem at all. It's just this deaf ass who can't hear well 
biggrin.gif

Sep 11, 2010 at 2:05 AM Post #13 of 17
I personally listen kinda soft so my idea of loud may be a little biased, but I wouldn't listen to more than a song or two at that volume myself.

Sep 11, 2010 at 8:59 PM Post #14 of 17
I just got my 32 Ohms and I am very pleased with them. I don't have to crack the volume so high to be able to hear the details of what I'm listening. They're much better than the Audio Technicas I had before. So for a portable use and a portable amp, I don't think I have to go to the IEM route :) Thanks for the replies guys! 

Sep 16, 2010 at 4:43 AM Post #15 of 17
It occurred to me to do another test regarding the DT770 leakage.  I wanted to know where it was leaking from.

I turned it up to level where I could make out lyrics with the 770s clamped to my leg.  Then I took off the pads and pressed the cups in a bit to make a seal, and just about all of sound went away.  The conclusion is the sound is leaking through the pads and not the cups.  This is good news because the pads can be changed to something more isolating, inside and out.

I have a pair of the gel pads coming in a week or two.  From the pics I've seen they look rather hideous, but they are supposed to increase isolation and bass response.  There are also pleather pad available from Beyer.  They're used on the DT770M, which is supposed to have extra isolation for drummers to use on stage so I would assume those pads would have more isolation as well.  That isolation should work both ways, so it may be useful to you even if you decide to tone down the volume a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back