Beyerdynamic Custom Ones! New Beyer headphones!
Oct 19, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #931 of 963
  I've been using headphones (a lot) since elementary school, and I was a Club DJ/Turntablist for more than 15 years. For the past decade I've always had a home studio where I make beats and I still listen to music 90% of the time when I'm out and about.

(Yeah, I'm old) 
tongue_smile.gif

So basically I've been most of my life blasting my ears with music. So unless I go deaf tomorrow, I think I may have bionic ears.

All things taken into consideration, you might be half deaf already. That would explain your disdain for extreme volume.

Oct 20, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #932 of 963
  yea but what's wrong with Fart cannons ;3. Again that's the idea of a bass heavy can. Although for the price... they might be a little disapointing. But if you paid $120 for em... really that's kinda u get what u paid for kinda thing. Seeing as the Ath m50 is around $120 also, your options are Balances Bass can or FART CANNON. An personally... I don't mind my fart cannons. Although I have Sub BASS FART CANNONS. An Sub Bass is very non invasive... it's in it's own little world... just thundering ur face off lol 

still though... fart cannons... a bad thing :D [well if ur listening to Fart Cannon music, not bad if u want to enjoy ur Classical... maybe a bad thing but again, right tools for the right job.] 

I concur. With the genres I listen to I don't want clear separation and shrilling highs. I want the guitars and drums to be accompanied by thundering bass. Doesn't sound great with classical and jazz? Don't care.

Oct 20, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #933 of 963
People here are being ridiculous. They want the DT 880 clarity with COP bass. I don't want that. This is the first Beyer I had that isn't sibilant. The DT 770 doesn't have bright, airy highs. It's just sibilant. I had the Momentum but those stayed on my ears like supra aurals and didn't like the boring sound. The V-Moda M100, again, have such tiny cups that are super uncomfortable and the mid bass is so punchy that it gets tiresome. I am deeply impressed by them.

Oct 20, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #934 of 963
Originally Posted by MassiveTurboLag /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I concur. With the genres I listen to I don't want clear separation and shrilling highs. I want the guitars and drums to be accompanied by thundering bass. Doesn't sound great with classical and jazz? Don't care.

There's a good point here. I listen to classical/orchestral exclusively and sometimes forget that the majority of reviews are based on popular music. It's extremely important to get the views of someone who likes the same kind of music as you. I was mystified recently that I preferred the DT880 pro over the HE-500 when everyone seemed to agree the HE-500 was the better phone. But they were all listening to popular music styles, rendering their opinions pretty much worthless to me.

Dec 10, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #937 of 963
They sometimes get down to $160 on Amazon. They're great for closed headphones although they really are harder to drive than they seem. They sound great on the built in jack on my MacBook Pro, but they aren't nearly as full sounding with an iPhone. The built quality is great. Just know that these won't sound good until they get a ton of burn in. I almost sent these back... 

Dec 13, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #938 of 963
They sometimes get down to $160 on Amazon. They're great for closed headphones although they really are harder to drive than they seem. They sound great on the built in jack on my MacBook Pro, but they aren't nearly as full sounding with an iPhone. The built quality is great. Just know that these won't sound good until they get a ton of burn in. I almost sent these back... 

They are about 220 on amazon right now :frowning2:...i will have to hold off until they drop in price at 160.
I actually like them since i want some portable headphones.

Good for an all arounder as well or multipurpose.
And also, i thought they are 16ohms...shouldnt that be easy to be driven by an ipod or smartphone?
In either case, a Fiio e10 should be good enough if u ask me.

Can anyone tell me quivkly how these compared to the dt770/dt880/dt990??

Im still getting them whenever they go cheap on amazon (the custom) but i just want to know how they compare

Dec 13, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #939 of 963
The DT 990 600 Ohm Premiums that I have blow the COPs out of the water. The bass is more accurate, more abundant and punchier. The highs and mids are also better. The soundstage is where they are unquestionably better than the COPs, as any open headphone is compared to closed. The built quality and comfort is better on the DT 990s too, assuming you get the premium version. But these headphones are hard to drive, can't be used without a good DAC and amp and aren't portable. Plus they're open, which always isn't convenient, even if it gives better sound in my opinion.

The COPs are extremely versatile. They're built very well for the price, especially compared to Monster and Beats by Dre products. The sound is adjustable, and they can be used with almost all devices, although they can still benefit from some basic amplification, not so much a DAC. They are much more portable, and sound great for a closed headphone. For $160 they're a bargain. For $200 they're a good deal. For $250 you can do better. 

The sound slider is sort of a gimmick though, so don't base your purchase entirely on that. On positions 1 and 2, there's essentially NO bass. On position 4 the bass gets muddy and eats into the highs and mids. Position 3 is the sweet spot for me. Others may obviously disagree. 

Anyway, that's my two cents. It's not fair to compare these to the DT 990 and DT 880 because they are open/semi-open and meant for home use while these are closed and meant for portable use. It would probably be beneficial to compare these to the DT 770 though, but I don't have those. Maybe someone else that does can chime in.

Dec 13, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #940 of 963
The DT 990 600 Ohm Premiums that I have blow the COPs out of the water. The bass is more accurate, more abundant and punchier. The highs and mids are also better. The soundstage is where they are unquestionably better than the COPs, as any open headphone is compared to closed. The built quality and comfort is better on the DT 990s too, assuming you get the premium version. But these headphones are hard to drive, can't be used without a good DAC and amp and aren't portable. Plus they're open, which always isn't convenient, even if it gives better sound in my opinion.

The COPs are extremely versatile. They're built very well for the price, especially compared to Monster and Beats by Dre products. The sound is adjustable, and they can be used with almost all devices, although they can still benefit from some basic amplification, not so much a DAC. They are much more portable, and sound great for a closed headphone. For $160 they're a bargain. For $200 they're a good deal. For $250 you can do better. 

The sound slider is sort of a gimmick though, so don't base your purchase entirely on that. On positions 1 and 2, there's essentially NO bass. On position 4 the bass gets muddy and eats into the highs and mids. Position 3 is the sweet spot for me. Others may obviously disagree. 

Anyway, that's my two cents. It's not fair to compare these to the DT 990 and DT 880 because they are open/semi-open and meant for home use while these are closed and meant for portable use. It would probably be beneficial to compare these to the DT 770 though, but I don't have those. Maybe someone else that does can chime in.

Mmm interesting. The slider does sound like a gimmick. i mean, no one was really expecting an OMG sound from the COP's, I feel like these are a great bargain compared to the beats and dna crap out on the market..id rather have the COP for a portable headphone, although i wish they were foldable, and a bit more sexier.

But how you compared them, i guess they are just a good pair of headphones to have.

I mean theres some people that want a versatile headset which they dont mind to toss around, carry around, randomly use it for gaming etc. And take care of the their other high end headphones, People that have 300 plus $ headphones would probobly need a spare for random use lol

Dec 13, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #941 of 963
At first I kept trying all the positions but now just leave the slider on position 3.  I've read many reviews how more expensive headphones offer more accurate tonal balance, imaging, sound stage, midrange, treble...... and the list goes on.  For me, this is the best pair of headphones I have.  Overall I get plenty of enjoyment out of them with all sorts of music which is the main object in my book.  I am currently looking for an additional pair of headphones that can build upon what I like about my COPs.  The search process is fun but also confusing since everyone else has different tastes in music and sound signatures.  Regardless, I'll be keeping these cans even when I find my next set!

Dec 13, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #943 of 963
Can't say I liked the COP too much. Muddy and poorly extended bass which I would have forgiven if the midrange weren't so thin and lackluster. They were very well built though. I guess I just don't like the Beyer sound as a very thin midrange seems to be a theme I am running into with them.

Dec 14, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #944 of 963
i have been searching for these headphones on amazon...cheapest are 160 used but i wonder if someone ever saw them new for 160? just wondering...since u can get dt990 250ohm for the same price, you will migh as well go for those instead of the COP

Dec 14, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #945 of 963
i have been searching for these headphones on amazon...cheapest are 160 used but i wonder if someone ever saw them new for 160? just wondering...since u can get dt990 250ohm for the same price, you will migh as well go for those instead of the COP

Depends on your needs. The 990s are open and require amping and the COP is closed and designed for portable devices.

They do go down to $160 brand new on Amazon occasionally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back