Beyerdynamic Custom Ones! New Beyer headphones!
Jan 22, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #886 of 963
Good god, I forgot how much bass these things have. Has anyone here heard Rack City on these??? I have my E17 set to +2dB bass, see EQ below. It's mindblowing at even the 3rd position, but 4th position is just STUPIDI was thinking about selling these but oh my god... I remember why I decided to keep them. It might not be the best sound in the world but it's so much fun to listen to with the right songs.

And yes... I know that EQ is stupid as hell. But it sounds awesome!!!

Oh, and Rack City for those curious (ignore the stupid video):

Jan 23, 2013 at 8:20 AM Post #887 of 963

My choice, Piano,Western+ Chinese Orchestra, Guitar mix, COP = awesome!

Jan 23, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #889 of 963
I got an email back about when I asked if I can buy the body without the driver.  Nope :frowning2:
So much for customization.

Jan 27, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #890 of 963
These are definitely not worth $240. I'd put them at $149.99. At that point you could sway some potential M50 buyers. They're alright but they're nothing to write home about. Then again, when you compare them to DT880s or HD650s, of course they won't be that great. I just find the treble/detail to be a bit lacking. The sound is kind of flat, aside from the bass which is just ridiculous. They're not bad for closed headphones but they'd be worth their sticker price if they actually folded, for one thing. Honestly I just wish they'd throw the 770 anniversary driver in these. Now that'd be something to behold.

Jan 27, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #891 of 963
Quote:
These are definitely not worth $240. I'd put them at $149.99. At that point you could sway some potential M50 buyers. They're alright but they're nothing to write home about. Then again, when you compare them to DT880s or HD650s, of course they won't be that great. I just find the treble/detail to be a bit lacking. The sound is kind of flat, aside from the bass which is just ridiculous. They're not bad for closed headphones but they'd be worth their sticker price if they actually folded, for one thing. Honestly I just wish they'd throw the 770 anniversary driver in these. Now that'd be something to behold.

I couldn't agree with you more. They have good sound for what they are, but not for the price. For the quality of the headphones you should be paying between $100-150 in my opinion. The mids are quite recessed and the treble isn't producing as significant highs that I want. They are quite big in comparison to the headphones I have owned.

Jan 30, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #892 of 963
I ended up ordering a pair of J$ Beyer pads for the HE400 and did not like them on the HE400's.  I figured why not give it a shot on the COP's and seems to work well on these headphones.  The bass seems to be toned down in quantity using these pads.  I can listen with the bass notch all the way up which I couldn't before.  There is more depth in the sound but the only flaw I hear so far is that the treble takes a hit which doesn't help with this headphone all that much.  Awesome pads though.  

Feb 9, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #893 of 963
I've had these Custom Ones for a week, and found a secret. The pleather pads really do a disservice to their sound. I swapped in a set of velour like pads, and it made a world of difference. They sound much clearer and well balanced now, and still have that punchy bass on 4. With the originals, the bass was excessive, muddy and distorted. The midrange was horrible. Also, the temporary velour pads have a larger inner diameter. The rough edge of the seam on the original pleathers irritated my large ears, so that was taken care of as well. There is some loss of isolation, so I'm thinking of getting the replacement velours for the 770's. I'm hoping the padding foam will be dense enough to block external noise. In my opinion, these should be sold with both pad options, but I'm sure it's a marketing trick to sell more overpriced velour pads.  

Feb 9, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #894 of 963
I put my DT880 pads on the COPs and I didn't like the sound. It just got rid of all the head-shaking bass which is what these cans are for, in my opinion. I don't mind them with the pleather pads.

Feb 9, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #895 of 963
Quote:
I put my DT880 pads on the COPs and I didn't like the sound. It just got rid of all the head-shaking bass which is what these cans are for, in my opinion. I don't mind them with the pleather pads.

The 880/990 velours won't work for the COPs because they're designed for open-back headphones. You'll get much better results with the 770 velours.

Feb 9, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #896 of 963
Yeah I know, but I'm not going to buy them just to try them on the COPs. I bought some black 990 pads for my HE-400 before I returned it, and I didn't like what it did to the sound. I'm glad I have a use for them on my DT880s.

Feb 9, 2013 at 7:39 PM Post #897 of 963
Just a question to those who have had this one.  I've been dying to have this as my first headphones before but I couldn't wait for it to arrive in my country.  But now that it just did...
Considering DT770 Pro at $280 is acceptable, is COP at $320 an acceptable price for what it serves?

Feb 9, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #898 of 963
No. If $280 is the lowest you can DT770s for in your country, I would definitely get those. They're more than likely better than the COPs in every department except bass quantity.

Feb 9, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #899 of 963
Quote:
Just a question to those who have had this one.  I've been dying to have this as my first headphones before but I couldn't wait for it to arrive in my country.  But now that it just did...
Considering DT770 Pro at $280 is acceptable, is COP at $320 an acceptable price for what it serves?

Honestly, no. If you really need the low impedance and customizable bass of the COP then I could see paying more than what the 770s cost but the 770s are a step up and are worth more IMO. Here in the states the 770 Pro goes for around $200 and you can find the COP on sale for $150. To me that's more realistic.

Feb 9, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #900 of 963
Thanks guys.  I already have DT770 Pro 250OHM and quite happy with it with or without my Fiio amp (using J3).  Just that COP was my very top candidate for months until I couldn't wait for its availability here.  I guess I should stop looking at it now. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back