Beyerdynamic Custom Ones! New Beyer headphones!
Jan 18, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #871 of 963
Quote:
Happy to hear you like them and even happier to hear you got a pair that can reach that volume without distorting or clipping. Oh and no extra cords, just the one. It would have made more sense if they did include a chat cable or one with "i" control. Either way it's detachable so I'm sure one will be available soon

Yep, I've heard they're going to come out with a cable that has a mic. They're also supposedly working on additional Custom One models. Should be interesting.

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #872 of 963
Quote:

Great to hear man! So no distortion I take it? I was thinking the COPs would probably have distortion similar to the 770s until you put them on the highest bass port positions at which point it probably has the ability to move enough air to not distort. Is that your experience?

Congrats on the new cans, I didn't think you'd like the COPs much since you didn't like the 770s. Glad to hear you do.

Along with the other comment, cranked up on an amp you will get fairly considerable amount of distortion. I really don't think these play well with an amp. Then again it could just be my E11. Would be nice to have tests from high quality power. I enjoy these much more un-amped oddly enough.

Jan 18, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #873 of 963
Quote:

Along with the other comment, cranked up on an amp you will get fairly considerable amount of distortion. I really don't think these play well with an amp. Then again it could just be my E11. Would be nice to have tests from high quality power. I enjoy these much more un-amped oddly enough.

Update...

Even more oddly enough I've been listening to them today and tried to recreate the amping issue with my E11 I always leave the EQ on 0 but bumped the gain to high and man, I haven't noticed the distortion at comfortable listening volumes. Much better overall quality to my ears on H. Sound stage, slightly more forward mids etc...

Jan 20, 2013 at 3:48 AM Post #875 of 963
i've tried to put in couple of my aftermarket cables and all dont fit, seems the little clip there is blocking the jack, only the cop cable can fit the clip, if i sand off the clip part, can other cable be plugged in?

Jan 20, 2013 at 7:10 AM Post #876 of 963
Quote:
Would you say these are better than MDR-1R?

I currently own both of these cans and I can tell you without a doubt that the MDR-1R's are much more neutral sounding, much easier to drive and way more comfortable. They're more portable and to my ears they just sound other worldly amazing in comparison to the COPs. Since using the MDR-1Rs out of the box I feel in love and I have my COPs for sale now. So sad that I found such an amazing replacement in the same price range. I had so much hope for the COPs...

Jan 20, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #877 of 963
Quote:

I currently own both of these cans and I can tell you without a doubt that the MDR-1R's are much more neutral sounding, much easier to drive and way more comfortable. They're more portable and to my ears they just sound other worldly amazing in comparison to the COPs. Since using the MDR-1Rs out of the box I feel in love and I have my COPs for sale now. So sad that I found such an amazing replacement in the same price range. I had so much hope for the COPs...

Good to hear :) Do the MDR-1R's leak sound more or less than the COP?

Jan 22, 2013 at 6:13 AM Post #879 of 963
Ok, so I just got my housemate to tell me which one leaked more sound. I did this via plugging my headphones into my stereo and measuring the DB difference. The issue I have is that the MDRs are easy to drive, so they take less juice for louder sounds at lower DB inputs.

The MDR-1Rs aren't as good as the COPs at isolation. It's either the COPs leak less sound or they take more juice to drive...

Jan 22, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #880 of 963
It's too bad the MDR1Rs cost pretty much double what the COPs cost. They look so nice.

Jan 22, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #881 of 963
Quote:
Ok, so I just got my housemate to tell me which one leaked more sound. I did this via plugging my headphones into my stereo and measuring the DB difference. The issue I have is that the MDRs are easy to drive, so they take less juice for louder sounds at lower DB inputs.

The MDR-1Rs aren't as good as the COPs at isolation. It's either the COPs leak less sound or they take more juice to drive...

I think it's a bit of both as I haven't owned a headphone that isolates better than the COP with the pleather pads. Your comments make me really want to give the Sony's a whirl as well.

Jan 22, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #883 of 963
MDR-1R for $180 + shipping if anyone's interested:
http://www.costcentral.com/proddetail/Sony_MDR_1R/MDR1R/11763874/pricegrabber/

Jan 22, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #885 of 963
I haven't listened to the Sony's so I can't comment on their sound.

I just bought the COPs and FiiO E17 after a lot of reading and recommendations.  I listen mainly from my computer so I've tried with and without the DAC/AMP.  My laptop is an HP with Beats audio.  Compared to my Lenovo workhorse, the HP has a much more pleasant tonal balance on most headphones I have.  This is due to the EQ from the Beats software in my opinion.  My HP laptop drives the COPs just fine.  I debated returning the E17, but after some listening I noticed that the sound seemed tighter and more accurate.  The big thing I noticed was a sense of air between the instruments and improved soundstage.  Instruments were spread across the soundstage with focus.  When I connect directly to my laptop, the tonal balance is fine, but it lacks definition and soundstage.  Everything seems to be crammed in the center vs. being spread out.

Now that I have the bug, I'll probably keep the COPs because I think they sound great and I don't "have" to run them through my DAC/AMP.  I'll eventually get another pair for a bit of variety and the audiophile quest we are all on :)

Seag33k

Users who are viewing this thread

Back