Beyerdynamic Custom Ones! New Beyer headphones!
Dec 14, 2012 at 5:19 AM Post #706 of 963
Quote:
Once again, as I've already explained in previous posts, the phones have a pathetically weak system when it comes to volume.  By the way, why'd you shy away from looking at the site yourself?

I did have a look at the site before posting, but did not find the maximum SPL information, as it is somewhat confusingly on the "Isolation" page, rather than "Sound Quality". They do not mention what frequency the maximum SPL is tested at, though. If they test it at 20 Hz, then 3% THD is not that bad, it is fairly common for dynamic headphones to have relatively high distortion on loud bass.

For those who are interested, I show the results of some tests I did with my DT770 Pro and DT880 Pro (both 250 Ω), using an in-ear microphone created from a measurement microphone capsule. While this method is not suitable for accurate (or even usable) measurements over the entire audio range, it works well enough below about 1-2 kHz, and in this particular case we do not care about the treble anyway:

Top left: DT770 Pro 250 Ω without a good seal (rolled off sub-bass with higher distortion)
Top right: DT770 Pro 250 Ω with better seal
Bottom left: DT880 Pro 250 Ω without a good seal (wearing glasses) and from 100 Ω source impedance (all the others are 10 Ω)
Bottom right: DT880 Pro 250 Ω under the same conditions as the top right graph

Blue: frequency response at -10 dBV (~92 dB SPL for the DT770, ~90 dB for DT880)
Green: frequency response at 0 dBV (~102 and ~100 dB SPL, respectively)
Yellow: THD at -10 dBV (up to 5th order harmonics are included, the THD is referenced to the total RMS level of the signal); -20 dB is 10%, -40 dB is 1%, -60 dB is 0.1%, etc.
Red: THD at 0 dBV

Notes:
- the SPL levels are simply calculated from the assumed sensitivity of the headphones (96 and 94 dB SPL at 1 mW and 1 kHz), based on information I could gather from various sources, and therefore may not be perfectly accurate
- because of the simple measurement setup, the results are only reliable up to 1-2 kHz, and basically useless above 4-5 kHz; the lowest bass frequencies are also slightly rolled off by the microphone (other than that, it has flat response in the usable range)
- bass performance is significantly affected by how good the seal is; bass roll-off also makes the distortion look worse by attenuating the fundamental more than the THD products
- microphone placement has a dramatic effect on the measured high frequency response (which you should ignore anyway)
- the right driver of the DT880 distorted the bass more than the left one, but still slightly less than Tyll Hertsens' DT880-250

Perhaps I should also have done a THD vs. level test at some low frequency, for example increasing the voltage up to 2 Vrms at 40 Hz. I also have IMD tests at 55 Hz + 2 kHz, but the result is similar to what would be expected from the low frequency THD (which is not good, i.e. the distorting bass can "rattle" the mids and treble).

By the way, if loudness and bass are the most important to you, why not just get Beats by Dr. Dre Pro ? Tons of bass, and no less than 118 dB (!) maximum usable SPL.
tongue_smile.gif

Seriously, those are actually decent for the market they target.

Dec 14, 2012 at 5:52 AM Post #707 of 963
@stv014,

I agree with your findings and appreciate you taking the time to do the tests.  I'm not sure on if they test it at a 20Hz wave, then turn the volume up until it cracks, but it does seem like it.  In fact, that's pretty much what I do with the phones as well, put it on a movie with lots of explosions and rumble at high volume, then turn up (or unfortunately for many cans, down) the volume to see where it has it's limits.  Granted, a headphone can get louder (or seem like it), but only if the track is mostly mids and highs.  I probably should have been more clear that I wanted a high volume in combination with the bass notes not distorting since I listen to a lot of hip-hop/rap and action movies, with the bass cranked to movie theater levels.

The Beats Pro were an excellent suggestion, I will look further into those since I have demoed them at Best Buy.  I'm just not sure how comfy they will be in the long run since they seem to be between the size of a full-size and supra-aural.  I did like the sound though
dt880smile.png

Dec 14, 2012 at 10:56 AM Post #708 of 963
Man... maybe you need all this volume BECAUSE you have cranked it up so high for so long... but I worry for your hearing 10 years down the road.

Dec 14, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #710 of 963
Quote:

Welllllll, there's a little something called science that would beg to differ. You can't submit your ears to extremely high volume levels for extended amounts of time without causing permanent damage which would indeed require you to turn the volume up higher and higher to get the same effect. Just saying 'nope' doesn't change that.

Dec 14, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #711 of 963
Quote:

Welllllll, there's a little something called science that would beg to differ. You can't submit your ears to extremely high volume levels for extended amounts of time without causing permanent damage which would indeed require you to turn the volume up higher and higher to get the same effect. Just saying 'nope' doesn't change that.

Aye, Aye, Captain.

Dec 14, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #712 of 963
Quote:
Aye, Aye, Captain.

My point is this:

Excessive volume for extended amounts of time causes permanent hearing damage. This isn't debatable.

How do you know you don't have some hearing damage? I assume you've been doing this for a long time. Have you been keeping track of exactly what volume level you listen at, over all the years that you've been doing it, and verified that you don't listen at a higher volume than you did, say, 10 years ago?

If not, you have no way of knowing that you don't have hearing damage unless you were somehow able to listen through someone else's ears and say 'Yep, it sounds the same.'

I'm not trying to single you out here. Anyone who has used headphones and listens at loud volumes over an extended amount of time is susceptible to hearing loss and there's no way for that person to know precisely whether or not they have suffered hearing loss until it gets really bad and becomes obvious. I for one can admit that after all my years of using headphones and listening to loud music there is a decent chance that I have some hearing loss and if I do there's virtually no way for me to know it until it gets really bad or turns into tinnitus.

Dec 14, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #714 of 963
Quote:
devhen, You are correct about everything.  I still want a closed back that I can blast my ears off.

Haha, fair enough. :) And I agree, even though I don't listen to my 770s loud enough to hear any distortion it does bug me that I can really crank them up and consistently hear the slight rattle. Its not a deal breaker for me though. I love me some 770s, they sound bloody great out of my G109.

Dec 15, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #715 of 963
I sure hope I have my new COPs by Monday, would be nice to come home to! I put my black DT990 pads on my DT880s and they look awesome. Wish they made an all-black version of these bad boys like the DT770M. I would love some murdered out DT880s.

Dec 16, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #719 of 963
Quote:
I sure hope I have my new COPs by Monday, would be nice to come home to! I put my black DT990 pads on my DT880s and they look awesome. Wish they made an all-black version of these bad boys like the DT770M. I would love some murdered out DT880s.

You can, but unfortunately that will cost some money.  Beyer Manufaktur will customize it with any color combo you want.  I used to have a pair of DT990's, all black with the grills in chrome.  THAT was the sickest looking phone I've ever had.  Set me back $450.

Dec 16, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #720 of 963
I would love if somebody managed to transplant DT880 drivers inside the COPs. That would be insane. I don't think they're big enough but STILL IT'D BE SO COOL. Or maybe DT1350 drivers. There's a guy on the forums who does transplants. I wonder if he'd consider trying...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back