Beyerdynamic Custom Ones! New Beyer headphones!
Oct 15, 2012 at 9:50 AM Post #301 of 963
Quote:
BauldlyDamage,

The COP and DT990PRO are quite different cans.
If you stick to DT990PRO's v-sound signature, with deep base and sparkling treble, COP might not be your cup of tea.
And if you're looking for different type of sound or change of pace for DT990PRO, and if you like pretty bassy sound, COP will be very nice choice.
COP easily rivals DT990's in bass sound even at position 3 of custom slider.

And you need to realize COP, having closed back design, has rather narrower sound-stage compared to DT990pro, which has open-back advantage in sound-stage.

For your information.

This may be one of those times where I get em both <3 I Might go DT 990 Pro first since I do like the open soundstage and DEEP bass, and I wouldn't mind something brigter than the Dt 880 pro

While I'm looking to buy the Dt 990 Pro [B&H has the 250 ohm pro at $169 and Xb 1000 at the same time] so if the Sub bass on the the COP is nice it might substitute teh XB, because I like my Dub Step DARk and DIRTY all that matters is that BASS

so I'd like to have the XB 1000 but once I start working I can save for the Custom One to <3

Oct 15, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #302 of 963
Hmm, I had narrowed my decision down to the 770 80 ohm and the 880 250 ohm, but now I'm considering the 990 and COP.  They're all around the same price.  Will be using these with an e5, at least in the short-term, and the headphone out on my 1971 Kenwood, which actually powers my headphones pretty well (outputting from my x-fi to the Kenwood).  

Such a tough call-- thought I took a big step narrowing things down to the Beyer's, but still have some choices to make...  

Oct 15, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #303 of 963
If you're going to use the E5, you may as well go for the COP, as the E5 is pathetically weak for an amp and wouldn't aid the 770 80ohm (I tried), and especially not the 250ohms.

Oct 15, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #304 of 963
Thanks.  I also have a USB soundcard from Creative that I could try out with my work laptop.  At home, it's not as much of an issue between the Kenwood and the front panel on the X-fi Platinum.  I currently run the Audio Technica M-35 with my gear, and they have an impendance of 65 ohms. 

I've read mixed things on this forum about how hard the various Beyers are to drive-- some people have been happy listening through the e5.  I'd prefer not to spend a ton of money on an amp, but if I have to add one down the line, it's not that big a deal, especially since it looks like I'll be coming in a few dollars under my max budget for this purchase.

Oct 15, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #306 of 963
Quote:
For $50, the E11 would be a much needed improvement over the E5.

I'm not convinced my sound cards won't be up for the task, and I don't see any need to grab new gear that makes what I currently have redundant.  If I'm not happy with the headphone/soundcard combo, I always have the option to order an amp later.  At any rate, still not any closer to a decision-- looking for the best combo of audio quality/comfort/cost... 

Oct 15, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #307 of 963
Listed for 200 pounds on the UK Amazon site...actually a good price.  I was expecting a higher price but it's a decent price for what you're getting.  I do expect the price to be $200 for U.S. and FINALLY they have implemented a detachable cable...something that was restraining me from purchasing another headphone without one.  Unless you know how to do rewire headphones (which I have no idea how to do), I did not like the risk of a frayed cable and the entire headphone being useless.  It's also great for portability...HOPEFULLY I can pick these up soon cause I am a huge fan of their DT 770s (IMO one of the most comfortable headphones in the market) and are extremely happy they are targeting the common user with portability and looks.  Let's be honest...only we would wear DT 770s out in public; the rest of the people would just wear Beats despite their extremely terrible sound quality. 

And the custom sound slider also is very appealing...Whether or not this would change the headphone from an open headphone to a closed headphone and vice versa effectively I'm not too sure about. 

What do you guys think about the COP vs the M80's???

Oct 15, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #308 of 963
Quote:
If you're going to use the E5, you may as well go for the COP, as the E5 is pathetically weak for an amp and wouldn't aid the 770 80ohm (I tried), and especially not the 250ohms.

Lawl I used an E6 on the Dt 880 250... the results sounded like rocks tumbling in a can xD my cMoy BB 2.03 2x9V is rather nice in powering my dt 880s, although I want a more transient c421 AP8620 [as the bass boost in the cMoy adds a little to much color for some songs] 

Also... Open cans are nice... a women with a very lovely voice is explaining something... and thankfully my cans play my instrumentals AND allow me to hear her voice *ear gasm*  
beyersmile.png

As I prefer spoken word over sung words any day every day

Oct 15, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #309 of 963
Yeah, it's very hard to go back to closed cans after having been used to open ones. Closed cans lose so much. I'd only get closed if it was absolutely necessary.

Oct 15, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #310 of 963
Quote:
Yeah, it's very hard to go back to closed cans after having been used to open ones. Closed cans lose so much. I'd only get closed if it was absolutely necessary.

yar, again I do like the DARk heavy sound of Dub Step though my XB700 but again I've not heard the Dt 990 yet so, not much to compare to

also wow 128kbs Opiou doesn't sound to bad [then again It's very DARK so it would rock the Xb 700s nice as there's not much highs to be stripped away by compression] but supringly there's almost no artifacts in the sound ;O

Oct 16, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #312 of 963

Based on all of the feedback here, and the fact that I'll be using these primarily in a private office, I think I'll be grabbing either the 880 or 990, and leaning now toward the 880-- though the 990 seem more friendly to techno, I do listen to a lot of goth rock, and I want something that can hold its own with that as well. 

So here's my question-- though the 32 ohm are drivable without an amp, it seems like they're significantly worse performers, at least according to this review.  The reviewer suggest the 250 ohm for the sweet spot in terms of performance/price.  Does this sound right?  It seems like people here have a good blend of experience with the different Beyers.

Like I said above, I'd prefer to try things with my current gear, and I can always order an amp from Amazon to do some A/B testing to see how things sound.  As of right now, the 880 250 look like the winner, but it's tough without having heard them. 

Oct 16, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #313 of 963
Hi,

The DT880 32Ohm is a good headphone, but requires decent amping. I've found them to be a tad difficult to amp, on par if a bit less than the 250Ohm DT880. Theya ren't a refined sounding as either the 250Ohm or 600Ohm versions either. I would recommend the 250Ohm version, of if you have the cash, the 600Ohm version.

Quote:
Based on all of the feedback here, and the fact that I'll be using these primarily in a private office, I think I'll be grabbing either the 880 or 990, and leaning now toward the 880-- though the 990 seem more friendly to techno, I do listen to a lot of goth rock, and I want something that can hold its own with that as well. 

So here's my question-- though the 32 ohm are drivable without an amp, it seems like they're significantly worse performers, at least according to this review.  The reviewer suggest the 250 ohm for the sweet spot in terms of performance/price.  Does this sound right?  It seems like people here have a good blend of experience with the different Beyers.

Like I said above, I'd prefer to try things with my current gear, and I can always order an amp from Amazon to do some A/B testing to see how things sound.  As of right now, the 880 250 look like the winner, but it's tough without having heard them. 

Oct 17, 2012 at 8:13 AM Post #315 of 963
Thanks, will probably just go with the 250, and then add an amp later if I need one.  Reading the comparisons linked in your signature was very helpful.  I don't really have a good bar for over-the-ears right now, have been using IEMs mostly for the last few years, so it's hard to say what sort of bass signature I'll prefer.  Excited to check them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back