Beyerdynamic Custom Ones! New Beyer headphones!
Sep 7, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #92 of 963
Quote:
Yo,

Ridiculous! They have very forward mids, maybe as forward as the HD600.

Nice to see someone hear the same as what my ears are hearing. Cheers

Sep 7, 2012 at 3:35 AM Post #93 of 963
Quote:
I just ordered a pair. I have been waiting to try Beyerdynamic for some time now.... took the plunge.

CantScareMe - May I know the reason? Just curious after  having put in my order..
cool.gif

Headfonia:
''On each side of the headphone on the bottom of the cup there is a small lever you can slide to adjust the bass. ''

I thought that the physical adjustments possible were so that one can switch between an open and a closed headphone. I don't know, this could have played out  something like:
'when in open mode the user immerse themselves in sound with a large soundstage, great depth and enchanced realism, whilst sacrificing isolation. But when choosing closed mode it's more of an intimate affair for the audiophile. Within this  intimate headstage you've a more impactful and a livelier bass response, really bringing music to life.'

But no. All you get is beyer allowing you to change the bass, the bass holes. That's all it's about. It's a closed headphone.

Headfonia:
''Classical music I did not really enjoy with this headphone. It just doesn’t feel right..''

Thought so. Maybe cos' there's not much to shout about in the midrange. And as that reviewer says it's bassy/trebly music that you want to play with this headphone, not much else.

Conclusion:
I'm not going to judge a headphones sound without listening to it. But I've been left thoroughly dissapointed with more than a few full size beyer closed headphones in the recent past and I have no reason to hope this is going to be anything different. 

Sep 7, 2012 at 9:28 AM Post #94 of 963
This is what concerned me (as I was debating between this and a DT770): 

http://www.hardwareluxx.de/index.php/artikel/hardware/soundkarten/23450-test-beyedynamic-custom-one-pro.html?start=2  

Running it through Google translate (with some obvious errors in translation):

Surprisingly sounds of Custom One Pro is not so "typical beyer" as the sisters do from the very same home. Unlike the DT models has our subject not to the usually high-frequency characteristic peak. The treble roll off even very easy, therefore, lie in the background. On the one hand this makes the Custom One Pro to a more relaxed listener who is never annoying, on the other hand, unfortunately, something that slows the airiness in the treble, which makes him seem a little more sober. Overall, our test model appears not as a fine resolution in the treble as compared expensive headphones.

With respect to the resolution of our subject does not quite approach the comparable models such as the Beyerdynamic DT 770 or DT 990th There simply lacks in demanding situations, often at "coolness". You can see plainly that he, in a detailed flood individual subtleties can no longer quite so casual differentiate from each other.

Sep 7, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #95 of 963
Quote:
This is what concerned me (as I was debating between this and a DT770): 

http://www.hardwareluxx.de/index.php/artikel/hardware/soundkarten/23450-test-beyedynamic-custom-one-pro.html?start=2  

Running it through Google translate (with some obvious errors in translation):

Surprisingly sounds of Custom One Pro is not so "typical beyer" as the sisters do from the very same home. Unlike the DT models has our subject not to the usually high-frequency characteristic peak. The treble roll off even very easy, therefore, lie in the background. On the one hand this makes the Custom One Pro to a more relaxed listener who is never annoying, on the other hand, unfortunately, something that slows the airiness in the treble, which makes him seem a little more sober. Overall, our test model appears not as a fine resolution in the treble as compared expensive headphones.

This is pleasing to hear in my opinion. The DT1350 is not a typical Beyer either.....and I consider it the best closed portable headphone for the price. I very much enjoy it's sound signature.

The DT models,regularly, seem to be reviewed as having high trebles and recessed Mids. If the Custom Pro is any different then I can silently be confident with my purchase.

I got my Custom Pro today. I just arrived home from work. I will post my thoughts tomorrow.

Hopefully, it is a keeper.

Sep 7, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #96 of 963
First impressions:

The Mids are NOT recessed at all! Nice, up front, similar to the DT1350. I'm so relieved about this! Both the DT1350 and Custom Pro make the Pro900 sound artificial. The Mids on the Pro900 are so strained, like the vocalist is being strangled. Music sounds utterly fake on the Pro900.

The Bass:

The slider absolutely works. I'm testing with the song "My Life" by The Game.

Setting 1: No bass at all.
Setting 2: Mild bass, vocals quite strong
Setting 3: Bass similar to the DT1350; the best balance for mids, treble and bass. My preferred choice.
Setting 4: Too much bass, vocals take a hit.

That's all for tonight. I'm very pleased thus far.

wink_face.gif

Sep 7, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #97 of 963
Well that's certainly nice to hear! I hate recessed mids, mids is where music is at and gives it substance, nuff said. Having said that I also want my thump, difficult to get good performance for both usually. Would you say it's more subbass skewed like DT770 with soft rumbly bass or does it also have a good amount midbass & impact?

Sep 7, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #98 of 963
Quote:
Well that's certainly nice to hear! I hate recessed mids, mids is where music is at and gives it substance, nuff said. Having said that I also want my thump, difficult to get good performance for both usually. Would you say it's more subbass skewed like DT770 with soft rumbly bass or does it also have a good amount midbass & impact?

It sounds more like sub-bass, the rumble is definitely there but only when required. I feel the DT1350 has more focused bass, with more impact. The Ultrasone HFI-780 also has impact similar to the DT1350.

I was originally playing through my Zune. I just tried it with the Xonar STX -> Mids become more clear, forward, bass is tighter, however I find the treble at times piercing with the STX. It may be because these headphones are fresh out the box; they may need time to settle....if you believe in that sort of thing.

Sep 7, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #99 of 963
Very nice impression Bloodflowerz! Thank you.

Also when you say setting  1: No Bass at all do you really mean no bass at all??? 
eek.gif

Also how would you rank the treble vs the DT1350?

Quote:
It sounds more like sub-bass, the rumble is definitely there but only when required. I feel the DT1350 has more focused bass, with more impact. The Ultrasone HFI-780 also has impact similar to the DT1350.

I was originally playing through my Zune. I just tried it with the Xonar STX -> Mids become more clear, forward, bass is tighter, however I find the treble at times piercing with the STX. It may be because these headphones are fresh out the box; they may need time to settle....if you believe in that sort of thing.

Quote:
First impressions:

The Mids are NOT recessed at all! Nice, up front, similar to the DT1350. I'm so relieved about this! Both the DT1350 and Custom Pro make the Pro900 sound artificial. The Mids on the Pro900 are so strained, like the vocalist is being strangled. Music sounds utterly fake on the Pro900.

The Bass:

The slider absolutely works. I'm testing with the song "My Life" by The Game.

Setting 1: No bass at all.
Setting 2: Mild bass, vocals quite strong
Setting 3: Bass similar to the DT1350; the best balance for mids, treble and bass. My preferred choice.
Setting 4: Too much bass, vocals take a hit.

That's all for tonight. I'm very pleased thus far.

wink_face.gif

Sep 7, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #100 of 963
Hey nice impressions so far bloodflowerz! If you can comment on isolation for portable use, tonality (naturalism or realism of instruments), and imaging that would be very much appreciated. It's surprising to hear about the mids actually not being recessed - the guy who reviewed these on headfonia said the mids on the M50s were better.

Sep 7, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #101 of 963
Quote:
Very nice impression Bloodflowerz! Thank you.

Also when you say setting  1: No Bass at all do you really mean no bass at all??? 
eek.gif

Also how would you rank the treble vs the DT1350?

Thank you.

Yeah, it's weird. The tracks I tried thus far, setting 1 was bass-less for me. I'm thoroughly impressed with how effective the slider mechanism is. Btw....setting 4 makes the vocals very strained, similar to the Pro900.

I have to say the DT1350 has better, more detailed treble....must be those lush Tesla drivers.
bigsmile_face.gif

Sep 7, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #102 of 963
Quote:
Hey nice impressions so far bloodflowerz! If you can comment on isolation for portable use, tonality (naturalism or realism of instruments), and imaging that would be very much appreciated. It's surprising to hear about the mids actually not being recessed - the guy who reviewed these on headfonia said the mids on the M50s were better.

I have not heard the M50 so I can't really comment on Headfonia's view. Then again, we all hear things differently; such as Ultrainferno who thinks the DT1350 has "thin" mids.

I'll test isolation tomorrow when the GF is back from her trip.

Setting 3 sounds the most realistic to me. Both DT1350 and Custom Pro sound very natural to me. I just cannot believe people enjoy the Pro900's artificial sound.

Custom Pro sounds more "airy" to me compared with DT1350, which is understandable due to bigger cups and around the ear fit. The Pro900 may have a bigger soundstage still but I feel people are fooled by the illusion created by extreme recessed mids.

I wish I had a pair of Ultrasone HFI-780 here to compare with. They have great impact, sparkly treble, and forward mids - based on my experience before I had to RMA my faulty unit.

The Custom Pro's are gorgeous, aesthetically. Metal headband, metal forks, made in Germany; very pretty. The packaging is rather Asus like with the flap. I'll post pictures tomorrow.

Sep 7, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #104 of 963
Quote:
Thanks for the response, very helpful! And I agree about how we all hear differently indeed. 

Or more along the likes IMO "we want to hear differently" Undoubtedly every1 hears slightly different as earshape and the health of the ears etc are not identical for starters which makes us hear slightly differently but I often think that part is small in comparision to the impact personal preferences/taste has. We have people which purposedly seek/want 15-20dB bass boosts, others which wants 0 boost.

The person which actually enjoys V-shape sound doesn't think it sounds THAT much V-shaped as another person that hates V-shape sound as V-shape sound often has this "bad" stigma over it and by nature people need to defend their property and their opinions in general. This is why I think it comes across as "we hear things differently" when we're in fact arguing due to different personal tastes in how it SHOULD sound like and it's more about we want to hear differently and just doesn't admit the important aspect of invidual taste.

The ideal would be if every1 had this access to testing several very different sounding headphones as when they could objectively start comparing headphones between each other and get a sense of where does Headphone X stand like in aspect Y and at the same time learn their personal taste in sound.

Sep 7, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #105 of 963
@bloodflowerz again thank you for your impression.
@RPGWizard, ^+1^. So true.

Look's like Beyer got a very versatile headphone with these slider. Everyone can fune tune to their prefered signature or even change it to match the music genre.

Consider me impressed. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back