Beyerdynamic announces the DT 501 p! New portable on-ear!
Oct 19, 2012 at 5:05 AM Post #17 of 21
Finally got them and they're great!  Check out my full review:  http://www.head-fi.org/products/beyerdynamic-dtx-501-p/reviews/7671

Nice review and comparison against the Philips Downtown... I've heard the Phipps twice, mostly because I'm looking to give a pair away as a Christmas gift this year, first time I heard them I was pretty impressed (judged them mostly against Koss DJ100 & Kplisch Image One, which are like, at both opposite ends of the spectrum by comparison).

Second time I gave them a go I wasn't so impressed, I think I was A/B'ing them against some open Senn and a pair of Aviators which might've been the problem (really different sound), but bass actually sounded weak which makes no sense.

I might try taking my MEElec HT-21 with me next time I give those Downtown a listen, from what I've seen the HT-21 would sound like less refined version of these Beyers. It's pretty interesting that Amazon has the Soundmagic P30 priced at less than half of what the DTX 501p go for ($40-ish vs $100?).

I'd be curious to find out if there are any differences between them besides the headband... (and slightly flashier outer cup design)

Feb 6, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #20 of 21
I got to hear them today with some other Beyer stuff and quite liked them. For the price they are in the higher end and if they just had some more mids and cleaned up they would be amazing at most prices. More in this video!

Jan 20, 2014 at 1:25 AM Post #21 of 21
I picked up this little portable for the heck of it.
Dang good sound, I was expecting worse.  I was also expecting it brighter in the treble and with some low bass roll-off.  Neither.

More mids?  It already has extra at ~4k-6kHz.  Copious bass from ~14Hz and up, so bass really rumbles and it doesn't sport any flabbiness or dryness to boot.  Over all it is a couple of steps up from my PX200, but midrange doesn't sound as natural.  Now if it only was as small as PX200 when folded up... oh well.  Can't have it all.  =p
Close enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back