Beyerdynamic Amiron Wireless
Dec 31, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #257 of 784
Has anyone compared the Amiron Wireless to the DT1770 in terms of SQ yet?

They are very different. The DT 1770s are aggressive, from heavy bass, detailed mids and clear treble all magnified like a pair of strong reading glasses. These are not meant to be relaxing, but for an audio engineer on the job who needs to analyze and feel every detail in a Pop, Synth, EDM recording. Jazz, Classical, and acoustic instrumentalist may hate them because they are not natural sounding in anyway. I own a pair and I like them for synthwave and other aggressive electronic music. For softer or acoustic music I'd use my Amiron Wireless.

The Amiron Wireless is a more natural sound headphone and more balanced sounding. It can do a much better job with Jazz, Classical etc, but its not weak when it comes to electronic music either. It can still bump and thump and reach low registers. Its like a pair of low powered reading glasses. It magnifies what needs to be heard and leaves alone what doesn't need to be further examined. It biggest weakness in sound quality is not because of the drivers, it's the fit. Beyerdynamic wanted the Amiron Wireless to be comfortable so they left the clamping force light, too light. And the ear pads don't contour around your head well all leading to a bad seal making the Amiron Wireless sound thinner than what they are. In contrast the reason the DT1770 sound so much more aggressive is because the clamping force is strong, very strong.

If you can only choose 1 and you don't work in a studio, I'd recommended the Amiron Wireless over the DT-1770, simple because they are more balanced in performance, they do a decent job with anything you play. HOWEVER change the pads because the stock ones do no justice, and actually hurt the sound quality. Very recently I bought two different pairs of ear pads from a company called Dekoni, one is a Hybrid of Velour and Sheepskin Leather and the other is all Sheepskin Leather. The differences are that the Hybrid has a more open sound, and slightly less isolation and the All Sheepskin is less open with slightly more bass and more isolation. I like them both with the Amiron Wireless as they both elevate the potential of the headphones over the stock pads, they are very comfortable and make a good seal. Neither of them have any real faults its just a matter of preference.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2018 at 5:27 PM Post #259 of 784
They are really great. I paired them with an IFi idsd nano black label, and got a balanced cable with balanced adapter, and they are just so detailed and open sounding. Love them. So comfortable as well. My only complaint is that I'd like a little more bass kick. I do EQ and use power and hi res with the IFi and it's a great Co. I've never bought a decent cable before, and was not interested in spending $100 or more, so IG it a $50 OFC cable on amazon that is really attractive.

Jan 2, 2019 at 4:53 AM Post #260 of 784
Has anyone compared the Amiron Wireless to the DT1770 in terms of SQ yet?
I think you're trying to compare 'apples to pears' there? For a start, the Amiron Wireless are, well, wireless. With the Amiron Wireless, you're entirely reliant on a battery-powered DAC/amplifier, which is distinctly different from a 1770 being powered by a mains-driven headphone amplifier.
Perhaps you should be comparing the Amiron Home to the 1770? That would be a more valid comparison.
That said, the Amiron Wireless sound completely different to the 1770's, in far too many ways to describe.

Jan 2, 2019 at 5:10 AM Post #261 of 784
They are very different. The DT 1770s are aggressive, from heavy bass, detailed mids and clear treble all magnified like a pair of strong reading glasses. These are not meant to be relaxing, but for an audio engineer on the job who needs to analyze and feel every detail in a Pop, Synth, EDM recording. Jazz, Classical, and acoustic instrumentalist may hate them because they are not natural sounding in anyway. I own a pair and I like them for synthwave and other aggressive electronic music. For softer or acoustic music I'd use my Amiron Wireless.

-snip-

Thanks for that, fascinating comparison. I might look into somehow acquiring both and seeing if the DT1770's analytical characteristics suit me more than the Amiron Wireless. I do prefer a more relaxed listen but have never thought of "analytical vs relaxed listen" before. Have you used the Amiron Wireless on the go yet? Curious about sound leak/isolation. I've read varying results so I'm just looking to draw an average.

I think you're trying to compare 'apples to pears' there? For a start, the Amiron Wireless are, well, wireless. With the Amiron Wireless, you're entirely reliant on a battery-powered DAC/amplifier, which is distinctly different from a 1770 being powered by a mains-driven headphone amplifier.
Perhaps you should be comparing the Amiron Home to the 1770? That would be a more valid comparison.
That said, the Amiron Wireless sound completely different to the 1770's, in far too many ways to describe.

Not trying to be sarcastic, genuine question: Is there a closed back version of the Amiron Home? Wouldn't comparing open cans to closed be similar to "apples to pears"?

I asked the question because I read some reviews where the Amiron Wireless was said to be similar to DT1770 but less "analytical" so it's good to have different viewpoints. When you say it is "entirely reliant" on the internal DAC/amp, would plugging it into a mains powered one be redundant? e.g it will still use the internal DAC/amp? I'm curious because I was thinking I would use it wireless most of the time but from time to time might plug it into my desktop setup.

Jan 2, 2019 at 6:16 AM Post #262 of 784
Thanks for that, fascinating comparison. I might look into somehow acquiring both and seeing if the DT1770's analytical characteristics suit me more than the Amiron Wireless. I do prefer a more relaxed listen but have never thought of "analytical vs relaxed listen" before. Have you used the Amiron Wireless on the go yet? Curious about sound leak/isolation. I've read varying results so I'm just looking to draw an average.

Not trying to be sarcastic, genuine question: Is there a closed back version of the Amiron Home? Wouldn't comparing open cans to closed be similar to "apples to pears"?

I asked the question because I read some reviews where the Amiron Wireless was said to be similar to DT1770 but less "analytical" so it's good to have different viewpoints. When you say it is "entirely reliant" on the internal DAC/amp, would plugging it into a mains powered one be redundant? e.g it will still use the internal DAC/amp? I'm curious because I was thinking I would use it wireless most of the time but from time to time might plug it into my desktop setup.
You can use the Amiron Wireless with a wire, but I'm not sure if they still need to be charged and switched on for you to use them this way? I'm sure another contributor would know this. I've never, and have no intention of using them wired.
And the Amiron Wireless are closed-backed, unlike the Amiron Home which are open-backed. The 1770's are also closed-backed, but they are very different 'animals'. As has been previously stated, the Amiron's are quite laid-back in their presentation. Without having listended to them, I have also heard that the Amiron Home's are also quite laid-back also. In contrast, the 1770's are revealing, and very much more analytical. They are very much more 'in your face' with respect to musical presentation. I actually prefer the 1770's to the Amiron Wireless, but it will come down to personal preference. I would strongly advise to listen/compare before you buy.

Jan 2, 2019 at 9:21 AM Post #263 of 784
The 1770's are great. I made the mistake of selling mine and really regret it. They are more bass heavy than the home, and the soundstage is not as wide. They are really great for heavier/darker music. I listen primarily to hardcore and metalcore and they were great for that. I could run them from my v30, but now that I have an IFI nano, I am curious how they would sound in comparison since it open headphones up a lot more than a phone does. The home are great headphones and well built. They have the advantage of being balanced, and are better for softer music as others have said. If you can afford both, get both. If not, it depends on your environment and musical tastes. I do agree with TJ Max that the homes do not create a tight seal. I am looking into the brainwavz pleather round pads to enhance the bass and create a better seal (I think thy are thicker).

Jan 3, 2019 at 5:47 PM Post #264 of 784

The Amiron Wireless can be run wired while the headphones are off and it bypasses the internal DAC/amp, running the headphones passively. Running it wired via my Questyle CMA400i makes them better in every way when compared to aptX-HD wireless usage. Still the same sound signature (which is rare for bluetooth headphones running passively), just more dynamics, clarity, quieter noise floor etc. This is to be expected pitting a good dedicated desktop DAC/amp against the internal DAC/amp in the Amiron Wireless. The Amiron in wireless mode still does a great job though, don't get me wrong.

Isolation/sound leak is a bit better than decent. But this, as well as the bass, depends greatly on how you wear the headphones on your head. They just don't conform well to the shape of the human head. I find I have to wear them with the headband at a certain angle to get proper bass response and isolation. These are one of the most finicky headphones I've tried in this respect and it's their only real con IMO.

I've owned the DT1770's brother the 1990 briefly. I'd take the Amiron Wireless over them right away, simply because of their wireless capabilities. Sound signature wise, I'd say the 1990 is more analytical (they're marketed as studio headphones after all) and the Amiron Wireless more musical. Both are great headphones.

Jan 15, 2019 at 5:26 AM Post #265 of 784
Just picked up a pair of these myself. Really enjoying them in most respects, but totally agree with people who have been saying about the fit and how it really alters the sound. I've never even thought about it with my HD 650's, but with these I was at first a bit disappointed with the sound as it seemed very lacking in bass - I've seen it mentioned in various reviews that they dont have the loudest bass, but I was taking that to mean, it wouldn't sound artificially boosted as opposed to just lacking.

The thing is, the bass is definitely there, if I press the cups in towards my ears it really transforms the sound, which is so frustrating because the sound when they are fitted tighter is much nicer than when they sit naturally. So I'm not sure what to do to improve things. I've read lots of posts talking about different ear pads, which is really the next thing for me to try.

Does anyone have some recommendations when it comes to pads for these headphones that would best improve sealing and bass reproduction?

Jan 15, 2019 at 9:31 AM Post #266 of 784
Just picked up a pair of these myself. Really enjoying them in most respects, but totally agree with people who have been saying about the fit and how it really alters the sound. I've never even thought about it with my HD 650's, but with these I was at first a bit disappointed with the sound as it seemed very lacking in bass - I've seen it mentioned in various reviews that they dont have the loudest bass, but I was taking that to mean, it wouldn't sound artificially boosted as opposed to just lacking.

The thing is, the bass is definitely there, if I press the cups in towards my ears it really transforms the sound, which is so frustrating because the sound when they are fitted tighter is much nicer than when they sit naturally. So I'm not sure what to do to improve things. I've read lots of posts talking about different ear pads, which is really the next thing for me to try.

Does anyone have some recommendations when it comes to pads for these headphones that would best improve sealing and bass reproduction?

I found the Sheepskin Leather pads from Dekoni to be perfect in Isolation and Comfort.

Jan 15, 2019 at 5:09 PM Post #268 of 784
Yep those are the ones! I think they made a huge difference in sound. Since they are larger and conform to the shape of your head and make perfect seal. You will realize the full potential of the Amirons bass without sacrificing anything else.

Jan 15, 2019 at 5:12 PM Post #269 of 784
Ah okay interesting, I might give them a go then, would you say you felt like they made an improvement in sound to you?
Additionally, if the fit (specifically, the lack of clamping power) is the issue, you can get the headband changed. I sent mine in to the official repair center a while back and paid them to install the stronger headband and the leather cover that’s otherwise a spare part for the DT 1990 Pro. (I have a pair of those, and I prefer their grip and feel over how the Amiron Wireless shipped). Works like a charm for me now.

Jan 15, 2019 at 5:13 PM Post #270 of 784
Would this apply to the Home Version as well in terms of the bass? Not sure since it is an open headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back