Beyerdynamic Amiron Wireless
May 22, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #136 of 784
Why disappeared, just checked amazon.co.uk, they are there, for 545GBP. That makes them actually less expensive in the UK than in the rest of Europe. And yes, list price is 700 euro, which is just 100 more than a wired Amiron. I think it‘s a reasonable price, considering T5p is 1000 Euro list price. And those are all basically the same headphones, little variations of cabeling and straight/angled driver mounting aside...

May 22, 2018 at 6:15 PM Post #137 of 784
Why disappeared, just checked amazon.co.uk, they are there, for 545GBP. That makes them actually less expensive in the UK than in the rest of Europe. And yes, list price is 700 euro, which is just 100 more than a wired Amiron. I think it‘s a reasonable price, considering T5p is 1000 Euro list price. And those are all basically the same headphones, little variations of cabeling and straight/angled driver mounting aside...
Ah yes, the listing was reinstated, although it's still out of stock. I guess that gives more time to wait for impressions / reviews in the meantime.

May 22, 2018 at 6:19 PM Post #138 of 784
I bought my Amiron Wireless on eBay from seller "madooma" who is also a german beyerdynamic reseller. He had it in stock just like the listing said (but I contacted him to confirm). He lists 2 for sale now, so I guess he still has some...

Btw if someone manages to order from beyerdynamic directly (I failed, their website is completely broken), they give you a free Custom Street and a BD branded powerbank (very nice, I got it with mine as well).

May 22, 2018 at 6:33 PM Post #139 of 784
Btw if someone manages to order from beyerdynamic directly (I failed, their website is completely broken), they give you a free Custom Street and a BD branded powerbank (very nice, I got it with mine as well).
I bought mine directly from Beyerdynamic yesterday (iwith 10% Coupon, so ~630€) and the Custom Street Offer is probably expired. But the Powerbank is included.

May 24, 2018 at 8:20 AM Post #141 of 784
Ok, I couldn't wait any longer, and since I also ran into an offer of a fellow head-fier from Germany selling his Aeon C, I had to go visit Beyer at their factory a bit earlier than planned, because I had to decide first, whether I'll get a Beyer or the Aeon...
Timing was also perfect, I was a single customer there today, had plenty of time to test and compare...

I'll start with this: I have not been disappointed that badly with a piece of gear in many years as I was with the Amiron Wireless. I was holding high hopes for it to be an end game headphone in wireless and actually mobile as well. A MASSIVE disappointment. Momentum Wireless (with EQ) easily wins. I don't understand how Beyer could release this product. It has some really massive flaws. Ok, no higher treble, but this can be EQed. Muffled and too warm. Also can be EQed to some degree. This headphone is all about mids. But this is not an actual problem, nothing what an EQ couldn't fix... But what an EQ can't fix - it sounds like a plastic cup. It has so severe resonances, you can't even go past a certain volume, because the echo would be too much to listen to. The Amiron wired is on a contrary an ok hp, also rolled off highs, but some might like it. I see why some people might like an Amiron wired, but Amiron Wireless is a complete no go for me, a massive fail.

Now to the positive part of this visit: T5p.2 is flawless. It could be a bit more comfy as the ear pads are just a bit too small for my I guess somehow larger than average ears. But this is the only critic I have on them. They do sound more like an open phone, have a real 3D imaging. I wouldn't EQ them at all, they are just about as good as it can get to my ears. A bit on a warmer side, and they do have bass.

In order to calibrate my years at the outlet, I brought my K550 with me, as I don't trust my memory. This is also a good reference phone, as it's pretty lean but on a bright side, and it does have a beyer peak, even though it's an AKG. In direct comparison, T5p is considerably warmer, with less harsh sounding treble, but at the same time with a better resolution. As I've already said, T5p's tonality is spot-on to my ears.

At the end of my listening session, I've taken one of their T5ps home as we agreed on a very reasonable price.

Although I really had high hopes to finally ditch all that cables and mobile amps and replace this all with a nice high-end wireless Beyer, it seems that hifi and wireless are still not really compatible as of yet. I do enjoy my Momentum wireless that I use in the office, but it's not exactly what I call hifi neither. But for the purpose (office gear) it's also almost a perfect fit, I don't need all that resolution when at work. I need good isolation, a pleasant tonality, good quality and comfort for hours of use...

I will be using my T5p indoors at home, when not sitting at my stationary gear. A closed hp, so that I don't annoy my wife with all that noise coming from an open hp, when she is e.g. watching a tv or reading something in a close proximity :)

-alex

Last edited:
May 24, 2018 at 8:50 AM Post #142 of 784
I do get some sibilance (which is there with other headphones but is very much exacerbated in Amiron W)
... but resonance? What tracks did you test with? I mostly listen to electronica and am pretty happy with the sound (if the bloody AAC decides to kick in :p), and I listen at high volume levels too.

May 24, 2018 at 9:00 AM Post #143 of 784
I've listened only to Jazz and Vocal Jazz recordings and few other acoustic records, tested with reference quiality tracks from Chesky Records, stereo and binaural. I don't listen to electronica at all, guess it could really be not all that important with your music. But with my music, all the vocals were muffled and had severe resonances at the same time. Again, I'm talking about reference quality tracks only. When you listen to them through right gear, you think you are right there live at the performance... T5p.2 was able to re-create this feeling

May 24, 2018 at 9:07 AM Post #144 of 784
Can you give a concrete example, please? I'd like to try.
I also listen to some MQA non-electronica tracks on Tidal, all sound much better on the Amiron than on any other headphones I have, the only problems I had was with some of my older tracks that were simply crappy sources (and while listenable on other headphones sounded dreadful on the Amiron)
... Btw if any headphones I had could be described as "muffled" it would be the Momentum Wireless :)

May 24, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #145 of 784
As I said, I use Momentum with EQ. Yes, without EQ roll-off in treble on Momentum is too strong to my taste.

Reference to tracks: e.g. 'the touch of your lips', it's on multiple chesky's sampler CDs. Or Melissa Menago, don't remember which tracks exactly, few first tracks.
Was a bit less prominent on Diana Krall's 'We just couldn't say goodby' from the 'Glad Rag Doll' album, but that whole album is a bit 'processed' in production anyway...

May 24, 2018 at 9:53 AM Post #146 of 784
https://tidal.com/track/77611554
Available in MQA.

Just compared it with B&W PX. The only thing that bothered me is that the sax got a tad of bass overlay and si thus a bit punchy on the Amiron, but that's just a difference in sound signature.
However, I hear nothing wrong even on max volume.

Melissa Menago - Little Crimes - 11th hour is a different story. At max volume, it is quite unpleasant and the resonance is there... but then I switched to the PX and it's there still. Borrowed my colleague's T51p and it's even worse on those. And to be honest I just find the whole track unpleasant like it was recorded with a plastic pipe. So you're right there :))
EDIT: My colleague just called that track "unlistenable crap, doesn't sound right"

Not sure what to think about that. Maybe that pair you tried was a dud? Or maybe audiophiles found a way to make certain tracks unlistenable on <$800 headphones and you happen to listen to those... :)

Last edited:
May 24, 2018 at 10:06 AM Post #147 of 784
Well, that was an only demo pair they had. Really wanted to get them, but the experience was very disappointing. Played via aptX from an Xperia X with Oreo...
As I said, wired Amiron did not exhibit any of those resonances, neither did the T5p.2. And btw, I paid for a T5p.2 less than I'd have to pay for an Amiron Wireless. But my decision was neither based nor anyhow influenced by this, as we went into negotiation of pricing after I made a decision to buy a T5p...

Last edited:
May 24, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #149 of 784
Both headphones and my Xperia said aptX is enabled.
What of course can be - maybe they've been already 'customized' with the app and not reset back. Didn't check on that, as I didn't even bother to install the app. And the ladies in the outlet were not really very technical, so I couldn't ask anyone...

To make it a bit more clear what I mean with resonances - the voices sound like someone is singing in a bathroom...

Last edited:
May 24, 2018 at 10:23 AM Post #150 of 784
What MIY app does is a glorified EQ. I wonder how much the customization differs from the baseline between different persons - my guess is not that much, it just turns "Loudness Mode: On". I only use it for really quiet tracks or when max volume is not enough. I had it on for the most part of my first day with them, now I turn it on from time to time to try it, only to turn it off immediately...

Anyway, the important thing is, we both have what makes us happy, so... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back