Beyerdynamic Amiron Home (the new T90)
Nov 22, 2023 at 5:41 PM Post #2,416 of 2,668
Still deciding on the bass...there can be a fair amount, but still undecided on the quality.
https://listen.tidal.com/album/292563007

Anyway, 1st foray into Beyerdynamic so still figuring where this 7 year old fits in and is it still current or competitive?
It has been a while since I heard the Amiron Home, no idea if Beyer has done any silent tweaks to them over the years either but haven't read anything that has indicated as such. If there is any tweaks, I doubt the difference will be as profound as early HD 660S's (intimate and a bit aggressive in the upper mids/lower treble) to late production HD 660S's (mellow and quite spacious for a HD 6xx headphone). I don't know how the Amiron Home compares to the HD 660S2 in the bass, etc. as I never heard them side by side.

Beyers do have their own house sound to them and as you spend more time with one and listen to other Beyers, you'll get an idea of the Beyer sound.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2023 at 7:02 PM Post #2,417 of 2,668
I don't know how the Amiron Home compares to the HD 660S2 in the bass, etc. as I never heard them side by side.
Having both on hand, will post.
Beyers do have their own house sound to them and as you spend more time with one and listen to other Beyers, you'll get an idea of the Beyer sound.
Currently it would be premature until I get a handle on them, give em another week or so, at least, initial impressions can and will change.:sunglasses:

Nov 23, 2023 at 1:56 AM Post #2,419 of 2,668
I think bass is in copious amounts, while not super-precise. Some fellow member described it as “cinematic” which seems like a great description.
They do have a cinematic bass response, not T1.3 bass levels but definitely healthy down low. While not T1.3 levels of subbass or bass in general, the Amiron Home does have more subbass presence than the T1.2 though, but the T1.2 has fuller mids and other benefits over the Amiron. The T1.3 can be a bit overwhelming bass wise until they're well broken in (pad wear and clamp reduction).

Speaking of break-in; I found both the T1.2 and T1.3 need a lot of break in to sound their best; both the T1.2 and T1.3 were a bit too warm to me sounding until they were well broken-in. The Amiron Home and DT 1990 Pro didn’t need near as much breaking in, maybe it’s how the steeply angled drivers of the T1 play with my ears with clamp and pads. The Amiron Home didn’t have the bass control of either T1, but to be expected as it’s not their flagship driver. DT 1990 Pro also has better bass control but that headphone is tuned more for precision given its intended use.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2023 at 2:10 AM Post #2,420 of 2,668
Still deciding on the bass...there can be a fair amount, but still undecided on the quality.
https://listen.tidal.com/album/292563007
Screenshot 2023-11-22 at 4.49.24 PM.png

Anyway, 1st foray into Beyerdynamic so still figuring where this 7 year old fits in and is it still current or competitive?

The Amiron's look make it look like a regular headphone, but it would be in the same tier as 660S2. It can be a coinflip on which someone prefers based on the comfort alone since one is round and the other oval.

Also, not sure Amiron is true "Beyerdynamic" sound ... though it's been praised for it's linearity characteristics and ability to EQ quite well.

I'm not even sure how many ppl like the REAL beyerdynamic sound anymore XD

all the new German headphones don't sound like the "Golden Era" ones anyway .. maybe for the better I don't know ... :)

Nov 23, 2023 at 2:18 AM Post #2,421 of 2,668
The Amiron's look make it look like a regular headphone, but it would be in the same tier as 660S2. It can be a coinflip on which someone prefers based on the comfort alone since one is round and the other oval.

Also, not sure Amiron is true "Beyerdynamic" sound ... though it's been praised for it's linearity characteristics and ability to EQ quite well.

all the new German headphones don't sound like the "Golden Era" ones anyway .. maybe for the better I don't know ... :)
There has definitely been a change over time but I found Beyer still managed to keep their subtle sonic traits despite their shift to a warmer sound over the years. I do want to revisit the DT 990 and DT 880 sometime to experience the old school treble focused Beyer sound again. Then the DT 48/480 (DT 100 as well?) is old old school where vocal intelligibility and midrange was the focus.

Honestly in some ways I found the shift between the HD 600/650 era to the HD 660S/S2 and the HD 560S era a bigger change than what happened to Beyer oddly enough despite Beyer having bigger changes to their FR response than Senn. But I’ve always been someone that often focused more on subtle changes than big FR changes some reason.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2023 at 2:31 AM Post #2,422 of 2,668
There has definitely been a change over time but I found Beyer still managed to keep their subtle sonic traits despite their shift to a warmer sound over the years. I do want to revisit the DT 990 and DT 880 sometime to experience the old school treble focused Beyer sound again. Then the DT 48/480 (DT 100 as well?) is old old school where vocal intelligibility and midrange was the focus.

Some of the older models were hit or miss on the treble. There surely must've been unit variance as the production was not like today (with much better consistency and tighter tolerances)

There must've been a few unicorns, b/c even some of the late 80s/early 90s models ... you'd get one which had a very sweet and extended treble, with excellent vocal intimacy/naturalness ... and yes perhaps on the thinner side , but it didn't scorch the inner eardrums.....

but on with the new ... i guess s2 or amiron home is pretty safe to have in the stable

yep... used a dt480 to watch the movie Rebecca ... and then finish with a few nice vocal heavy songs :p

1700724674566.jpeg

Nov 23, 2023 at 2:56 AM Post #2,423 of 2,668
Some of the older models were hit or miss on the treble. There surely must've been unit variance as the production was not like today (with much better consistency and tighter tolerances)

There must've been a few unicorns, b/c even some of the late 80s/early 90s models ... you'd get one which had a very sweet and extended treble, with excellent vocal intimacy/naturalness ... and yes perhaps on the thinner side , but it didn't scorch the inner eardrums.....

but on with the new ... i guess s2 or amiron home is pretty safe to have in the stable

yep... used a dt480 to watch the movie Rebecca ... and then finish with a few nice vocal heavy songs :p

That is true, consistency has definitely improved. I found new Beyers more consistent than new Senns honestly, owned a lot of both and compared multiple of the same model. Though this is personal experience only.

Yeah I’ve come across a few of those unicorn headphones. Problem with getting old headphones is they may have issues of some sort sadly. Usually cabling issues but sometimes driver issues, etc.

The S2 is a solid headphone grown to like it more and more, the tautness it had new is easing up nicely. I may end up tweaking my HD 650 but don’t want to do anything that I can’t reverse easily. I don’t do irreversible mods anymore. The S1 some strange reason loves being powered straight from a phone dongle, it’s a strange headphone to amp as half the time it feels like it’s hindered dynamically and limp sounding but oddly it’s capable of pretty good dynamics on other systems.

Not sure how but I managed to make my DT 480 a genre master with a huge soundstage; it has plenty of bass though pads and drivers need to warm up from wearing them to get the bass going, always astonished at the bass quality of the headphone. But vocals and mids are still its star of the show, still makes things intelligible that other headphones won’t, I still often have moments where (“Oh that’s what they were saying”) with them. Honestly I’ll be upset if something ever happened to the headphone, spent years tweaking the thing off and on.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2023 at 6:14 AM Post #2,424 of 2,668

My favorite Beyerdynamics were the 2003 DT880, to my ears the trailing end of "Golden Era".

Nov 23, 2023 at 2:11 PM Post #2,425 of 2,668
Wondering if I may have acquired a defective pair, finding the bass a bit woolly overall and treble is distorting at higher but not overly loud levels, The HD660S2 and HD630VB are both super clean at the same levels with bass or treble. Tried with 3 different setups in case it was the amp.
A little Google and it appears to be a common issue with some Beyerdynamic, not model specific.hhhhhmmmm??? :rolling_eyes:
Bought on the used market so not returnable.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2023 at 3:14 PM Post #2,427 of 2,668
Yes, I have. It's not hair, already checked that. It's more on the right driver This doesn't happen on my DT 1990 at even much higher volumes. It is noticeable at normal listening volumes. It's also not the rubber washer on the back not being properly aligned as was the case on my DT 1770. This sounds like the drivers are breaking-up with sub-bass.
Hi kman...going through the thread appears you encountered a similar issue back in 2017.
With mine both drivers have this issue.
Emailed Beyerdynmic to find the costs for replacements.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2023 at 3:20 PM Post #2,428 of 2,668
Hi kman...going through the thread appears you encountered a similar issue back in 2017.
With mine both drivers have this issue.
Yeah oddly it sorted itself out and was never a problem again. Not sure why it happened on some pairs. Maybe something with earlier batches or something.

The DT 1770 was bought used when I got it (know why it was returned) was gifted to me so I couldn’t return it.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2023 at 3:34 PM Post #2,429 of 2,668
Honestly in some ways I found the shift between the HD 600/650 era to the HD 660S/S2 and the HD 560S era a bigger change than what happened to Beyer oddly enough despite Beyer having bigger changes to their FR response than Senn. But I’ve always been someone that often focused more on subtle changes than big FR changes some reason.

There was a shift from the HD540/560/250 / early 580 sound to the newer 6 series which had more emphasis on vocal forwardness and mid bass hump, then nowadays they have infused with more sub-bass presence.

The tighter tolerances do result in much better fit and finish, and possibly less odd resonances and/or mechanical vibrations.

The 770/880/990 (vintage and newer ones) seemed to have some issues with drivers being not always "vibration free" and you would get buzzing with some units.

I never had an issue with a buzzing Sennheiser (besides the hair being stuck on diaphragm)

Early Sennheisers like 540/560 could be insanely bright or you get one of the lucky ones; hence, why you still see ppl rave on about the 540/560/

and there were a few hd250 which seem to defy the laws of physics as they were bu tt ugly , yet could sound absolutely stellar.

That is true, consistency has definitely improved. I found new Beyers more consistent than new Senns honestly, owned a lot of both and compared multiple of the same model. Though this is personal experience only.

Yeah I’ve come across a few of those unicorn headphones. Problem with getting old headphones is they may have issues of some sort sadly. Usually cabling issues but sometimes driver issues, etc.

The S2 is a solid headphone grown to like it more and more, the tautness it had new is easing up nicely. I may end up tweaking my HD 650 but don’t want to do anything that I can’t reverse easily. I don’t do irreversible mods anymore. The S1 some strange reason loves being powered straight from a phone dongle, it’s a strange headphone to amp as half the time it feels like it’s hindered dynamically and limp sounding but oddly it’s capable of pretty good dynamics on other systems.

Not sure how but I managed to make my DT 480 a genre master with a huge soundstage; it has plenty of bass though pads and drivers need to warm up from wearing them to get the bass going, always astonished at the bass quality of the headphone. But vocals and mids are still its star of the show, still makes things intelligible that other headphones won’t, I still often have moments where (“Oh that’s what they were saying”) with them. Honestly I’ll be upset if something ever happened to the headphone, spent years tweaking the thing off and on.

I've noticed a lot of smaller issues being negated by implementation of a tube buffer (ifi itube w/ WE2c51/396A) with my Sennheisers hooked up to the woo wa6. Smaller issues being using the same chain for many different impedence headphones (from 5 ohm to 2000ohm)

I've been on a Cranberries/ Dolores O'Riordan binge lately since the addition of the buffer tube as her voice has just laid hooks on my psyche.

Whereas I'm lost in the music with the Sennheisers, the Beyerdynamic dt48/480 allow as you say a deeper dive into the vocal/breath information

Which in turn has allowed me to really appreciate the complex nature of the vocal delivery

My favorite Beyerdynamics were the 2003 DT880, to my ears the trailing end of "Golden Era".

Its quite amazing how many different versions were out there when you factor in the vintage 600ohm versions... then you have the 32 ohm, 250, and newer 600 ohm versions

Dt48 being 5,8,25, 200 ohm, dt48 also 5,8,25,200 and the dt100 being 16, 400, and 2000ohm

The Linear Sennheiser being 300 or 600 , HD 414 i believe had a 2000 ohm version as well

but going down the vintage lane has so many risks.... and often a PITA cleaning some of them ... the horror.

opening some vintage headphones that come in the mail

1700771653174.gif

Nov 23, 2023 at 3:46 PM Post #2,430 of 2,668
Wondering if I may have acquired a defective pair, finding the bass a bit woolly overall and treble is distorting at higher but not overly loud levels, The HD660S2 and HD630VB are both super clean at the same levels with bass or treble. Tried with 3 different setups in case it was the amp.
A little Google and it appears to be a common issue with some Beyerdynamic, not model specific.hhhhhmmmm??? :rolling_eyes:
Bought on the used market so not returnable.

That sucks dude. Beyerdynamic's QC seems to have gone into the shyter. Maybe perhaps not so much on the Tesla line as the drivers are built much more robustly with the all all metal.

1700772356422.jpeg

Some of their pleather pads just fall apart.... shame shame ....

That is why I am more in the Sennheiser camp ...

though I keep my vintage Beyers, and I have one Tesla version (which doesn't buzz)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back