Beyerdynamic Amiron Home (the new T90)
Jun 19, 2017 at 10:53 PM Post #781 of 2,669
This thread has been quiet for a while. Not many Amiron owners out there? What is everyone using to drive their Amiron Home's?

recently picked up beyer a20 and have been pleased. not at all underpowered and obviously a good pairing. if i'm not mistaken i believe beyer uses the a20 for all their meets and shows. i loved what i was hearing out of my amirons from the woo wa2, but the a20 is a fraction of the price. really i love the versatility of the amiron! it has a very pleasant, musical quality with everything i've thrown at it.

Jun 19, 2017 at 11:01 PM Post #782 of 2,669
Haven't heard the Amirons on the A20 yet, heard others say it's a good pairing and the A20 isn't very expensive either. I use a Sony UDA-1(puts around the same amount of power into them as the A20) which turned out to be a good pairing for the Amirons, smooth, clear, dynamic, great 3-dimensional imaging where the sound shape shows nicely, and no hint of harshness or excess brightness or stridency.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2017 at 11:13 PM Post #785 of 2,669
Yes, both the Amiron and the DT1990 deserves more attention :).

I mostly use my Ibasso DX200 to run the Amiron and in my opinion does the job very well, but I have never heard it with any of these amps mentioned. So I don't really know if am missing something.

I think it's the mids I like most about the Amiron. And why I (slightly) prefer it over the DT1990. But both are very good.

Jun 19, 2017 at 11:16 PM Post #786 of 2,669
This thread has been quiet for a while. Not many Amiron owners out there? What is everyone using to drive their Amiron Home's?
Metrum Musette into Wells Audio Milo

Jun 19, 2017 at 11:18 PM Post #787 of 2,669
Jun 19, 2017 at 11:33 PM Post #789 of 2,669
Yes, both the Amiron and the DT1990 deserves more attention :).

I mostly use my Ibasso DX200 to run the Amiron and in my opinion does the job very well, but I have never heard it with any of these amps mentioned. So I don't really know if am missing something.

I think it's the mids I like most about the Amiron. And why I (slightly) prefer it over the DT1990. But both are very good.

Haven't heard the DX200, no idea if you're missing anything or not.

For me it's the fluidity, sense of rightness(probably the mids) to the sound, and it's ease of listening is why I like them so much. Though I have noticed on certain system configurations the treble is overbearing while others it's just perfect.

Jun 19, 2017 at 11:52 PM Post #790 of 2,669
I'm running them single ended. The Milo isn't a balanced amp. 18 watts of clean perfect power.
You running them balanced? If you do how do you find them single-ended vs balanced?

Jun 20, 2017 at 12:01 AM Post #791 of 2,669
I'm running them single ended. The Milo isn't a balanced amp. 18 watts of clean perfect power.

I used to use an Audeze Deckard. I found it to be bit digital sounding. It sounded good, but I knew that I needed to get more out of my headphones so I went to the musette and milo. Best decision of my short audio life. It is the perfect compliment to the Amiron. Completely takes control of the driver. Bass firms up, midrange (the milos specialty) stands proud and the treble has the perfect amount of air without a hint of sibilance. The Amiron sounds world class with the milo.

Jun 20, 2017 at 12:12 AM Post #792 of 2,669
The official website says and pictures show the Wells Audio Milo having a 4 pin balanced output with an optional XLR input is why I was asking. Or is the 4-pin balanced output also an extra feature? Definitely has a lot of power looking at the specifications. Don't see how much it puts into headphones like the Amiron but I assume it's more than the enough.

Makes sense. I know what you mean about being digital sounding, many amps and dacs are. Sounds like it is a nice combination. I do plan on upgrading my current system. Sibilance in the Amiron's definitely means it's the system causing it imho.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2017 at 2:22 AM Post #793 of 2,669
The official website says and pictures show the Wells Audio Milo having a 4 pin balanced output with an optional XLR input is why I was asking. Or is the 4-pin balanced output also an extra feature? Definitely has a lot of power looking at the specifications. Don't see how much it puts into headphones like the Amiron but I assume it's more than the enough.

Makes sense. I know what you mean about being digital sounding, many amps and dacs are. Sounds like it is a nice combination. I do plan on upgrading my current system. Sibilance in the Amiron's definitely means it's the system causing it imho.

Yes, the Milo has a 4 pin xlr output. And you can pay to put xlr inputs in as well. I did not, although I do use the XLR output for my Dharmas. The amp is built to be single ended evem with the balanced output. There is no difference in sound between the 2. Jeff Wells believes in single ended amping as it requites less parts and a cleaner signal path leading to greater power and better transparency.

Jun 20, 2017 at 2:42 AM Post #794 of 2,669

Yes, I would like to hear about any experiences from anyone that has a Schiit Mjolnir to drive the Amiron.

Jun 20, 2017 at 3:20 AM Post #795 of 2,669
Yes, the Milo has a 4 pin xlr output. And you can pay to put xlr inputs in as well. I did not, although I do use the XLR output for my Dharmas. The amp is built to be single ended evem with the balanced output. There is no difference in sound between the 2. Jeff Wells believes in single ended amping as it requites less parts and a cleaner signal path leading to greater power and better transparency.

Ah that makes sense. My experience with other headphones is that the amp matters more than balanced or single-ended, some single-ended amps straight up sounded better than some balanced and vice-versa. I'm probably going to stick with single-ended and maybe get a better cable for the Amiron's sometime after I get a new headphone amp and eventually DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back