Beyerdynamic Amiron Home (the new T90)
Feb 19, 2017 at 5:20 PM Post #511 of 2,668
It's been over a year and a half since I had the X2 so don't remember too much of the sound signature but I just hated the look and feel of it. The Amiron is such a pleasure to wear. I never feel like I have to take it off because of weight or heat build up like a lot of other headphones. The perfect marriage of sound and comfort.

Feb 19, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #512 of 2,668
Couldn't agree more. They are so comfortable, and the sound is even better. They continually amaze...

Feb 19, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #513 of 2,668
Is it possible to transfer the new headband (Amiron/1990/1770) onto the old dt series? :p Has anyone tried. I like the new design headband. Though I like the old pro ones, not the premium. And the new ones look soooo comfy! THX

Feb 19, 2017 at 7:08 PM Post #514 of 2,668

Yup, I'm using them with the Jotunheim.  It's a great pairing, IMHO.

that's great! have you tried the balanced HO?

Feb 19, 2017 at 7:33 PM Post #515 of 2,668

that's great! have you tried the balanced HO?

Yup, I've got the upgraded cables from Beyerdynamic, both the 1.4m one with a 3.5mm connector and the 3.0m one with the balanced XLR.  I haven't done enough A/B'ing between the cables to say with certainty that the balanced cable sounds better though - but I will say in general that I much prefer the upgraded cables over the stock Amiron cable, just for quality.

Feb 20, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #516 of 2,668
Glad you are enjoying them. Honestly I think for smaller heads the DT 1990 is more suited for. I know a few female audiophiles and they prefer the fit and comfort of the DT 1990 and find the Amiron too loose. I guess I'm lucky I find both the DT 1990 and Amiron roughly the same comfort wise with the slight edge to the Amiron. Never listened to the T5P much. I had a T1.2 which I found very comfortable, just as much as the the Amiron but the sound was too bright for my liking, though I loved it's ethereal imaging and the treble detail was impressive when it wasn't overbearing, really shined on high quality recordings, maybe with careful system matching I would of loved it.

I really want to get my hands on the Z1R, luckily have heard it a few times. But will have to wait on it despite wanting it more than any other headphone right now.

Thanks for all your input regarding the Amiron it has been very helpful and yes I like them. I have never heard the T1.2 but often thought about it. But I also think it will be to bright for me. Anyway I don't have an amp that can drive them, I only use daps or a mojo. So I try to get easy to drive headphones.

Z1R is a wonderful headphone and I don't regret buying it :sweat_smile:.

I replaced the metal head bow with its low pressure counterpart from beyerdynamic's home headphones: http://www.beyerdynamic.de/shop/metallbugel-1.html

You just need a torx screwdriver and some patience. Oh, and a knife to remove a very small plastic pin from the DT1990's slider construction on each side because the original bow has a small opening for it on its side which is absent in the low-pressure bow. Removing it does not affect stability at all. So strictly speaking the mod is not reversible - however it's still possible to put the old bow back into the headband.

It's a cheap mod which makes the DT1990 much more comfortable for me.

Thanks for this. I should have known this when I had the DT1990. It's too late now I am more than happy with the Amiron and don't think I will buy the 1990. I will wait for the next Beyer release.

Feb 20, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #517 of 2,668
It's too late now I am more than happy with the Amiron and don't think I will buy the 1990. I will wait for the next Beyer release.

Beyerdynamic's previous line-up was conceived in the 1980s, so you might have a lengthy wait ahead... I suppose they aren't going to release any new hifi class headphones any time soon, as they now have both the home users and pros covered.

Feb 20, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #518 of 2,668
Beyerdynamic's previous line-up was conceived in the 1980s, so you might have a lengthy wait ahead... I suppose they aren't going to release any new hifi class headphones any time soon, as they now have both the home users and pros covered.

Never change a winning team..:)

They will release an updated/new version of the T1.2 and the T5p 2 within the next 1-2 years. Or a complete new headphone. Too much going on in this business at the moment, they can't just sit back and wait.

I guarantee you..

Feb 20, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #519 of 2,668
Never change a winning team..
smily_headphones1.gif

They will release an updated/new version of the T1.2 and the T5p 2 within the next 1-2 years. Or a complete new headphone. Too much going on in this business at the moment, they can't just sit back and wait.

I guarantee you..

Honestly I am looking forward to the eventual T1.2 replacement or a new headphone all together. The problem is the Amiron and DT 1990 are going to bite into the T1.2 as it doesn't really set itself as clearly better, in fact many prefer the Amiron and DT 1990. So Beyer may release a higher-end headphone in the coming years to compete with the slew of high-end headphones coming out, which is what I'm hoping for. I wouldn't be surprised if the headphone has a naming scheme like the Amiron and not use numbers this time.

Feb 20, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #520 of 2,668
I also think something in the high end range may come out in the next two years or so...maybe a statement product to compete with the other big boys and the new kid on the block, Focal. If it follows on some of the same elements as the Amiron then it could be special.

Feb 20, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #521 of 2,668
  That's actually similar to how I see it, well the sound is a bit looser is a better word. The DT 1990 is tighter sounding overall, especially in the bass, but interestingly I find the clarity and transparency of the Amiron better. 

Have to disagree with the notion of the Amiron having greater "clarity and transparency" than the DT1990.  To my ears, those are the areas in which the DT1990 outshines the Amiron. The mellower sound sig of the Amiron is perfect for some listeners, but it is achieved at the expense of some clarity and transparency, in my opinion. (They're both great, though.)

Feb 20, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #522 of 2,668

Have to disagree with the notion of the Amiron having greater "clarity and transparency" than the DT1990.  To my ears, those are the areas in which the DT1990 outshines the Amiron. The mellower sound sig of the Amiron is perfect for some listeners, but it is achieved at the expense of some clarity and transparency, in my opinion. (They're both great, though.)

I understand that. My ears naturally tend to favor a darker sound signature so in general a darker sound signature tends to sound clearer and makes itself less known(making it easier for me to forget I'm wearing a headphone) to me.

Feb 20, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #523 of 2,668

​I know everyone hears differently, and I respect kman1211's opinion - he has been very helpful to me - but I tend to see it the way you do JerseyD.  And as you are in the game... what makes/models would you consider to be direct competitors to a) beyer DT1990 pro   b) beyer DT1770 pro  and c) beyer Amiron home  ?  Thanks :)

Feb 20, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #524 of 2,668
I haven't heard the DT 1990 but I do know that jacking up the treble will create the perception of more clarity and transparency but whether that translates into a natural or musical tone is another matter. I think the Amiron achieves the latter and so whatever detail is sacrificed is fine with me. But I don't feel as though the Amiron is a dark sounding headphone anyway. Maybe against other Beyerdynamic models, of which I don't know too much about. I think good amplification makes the Amiron shine even more. Straight out of a phone or computer is selling the Amiron short in my opinion.

Feb 20, 2017 at 7:33 PM Post #525 of 2,668
I have to agree. The Amiron sounded totally different (better) coming out of the Chord Mojo instead of directly from my CD player's headphone jack.

I'd love to hear it coming out of the Chord Hugo 2 to see if it can go even farther.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back