Beyerdynamic Amiron Home (the new T90)
Feb 18, 2018 at 6:45 PM Post #1,127 of 2,669
You didn't say much about the HE560. It's the cheapest of the four, so last place isn't necessarily bad for the price. But I was wondering how the HE560 compared to the AFO and Amiron specifically in terms of classical music. If you could say a few words about that, I'd appreciate it.

Hey, I did a long review of the Focal Clear vs. Edition X this weekend, so I didn't have time to do an in-depth comparison between the three headphones you're interested in.

However, I did compare four different classical pieces between the three headphones.

I can definitively say that with well-recorded or "audiophile-level" classical music, the HE560 is clearly the most detailed sounding of the three and its soundstage is also very good. With poorly-recorded classical music, the Amiron and the AFO are a little better because the Amiron smooths over rough patches and the AFO (because it has less resolution) is more forgiving than the HE560 and has the best soundstage of the three. But if you intend to do some serious critical listening with classical music, then go with the HE560.

Hope this helps!

Here's what I listened to (all streamed from Tidal):

Edward Grieg | Peer Gynt Suite No 1 OP 46 | Festival Symphony Orchestra | I. Morning Mood
-->Poor recording. Tie between Amiron and Aeon Flow. HE560 sounds a little rough and has the worst soundstage of the three.

Beethoven Piano Concerto No.5 in E Flat Major "Emperor" Op 73 | Moscow Symphony Orchestra | Allegro
-->Poor recording. Aeon Flow sounds best, but only a little bit better over the Amiron. HE 560 is less well-rounded than the other two, so it comes in third.

Bach Harpsicord Concerto No1 in D Minor BW 1052 | Concerto Italiano | Allegro
-->Good recording. HE 560 is clear winner, much more detail then AFO, followed by Amiron. HE 560 soundstage is very good. Amiron soundstage sounds compressed.

Barbers Adagio from 2nd Movement of String Quartet OP 11 | Leonard Bernstein conducting New York Philharmonic
-->Great recording. HE560 is clear winner, followed by Amiron. HE560 has a lot more resolution and very good soundstage. Amiron has less resolution but also has very good soundstage. AFO comes in third due to perceived softness in treble.

I hope this is helpful. I wish I had more time to put into this.

[EDIT: When I did the comparisons, I used a Norne Audio Draug3 cable (OCC copper litz) with my Amirons. Today I changed out the cable for a Norne Audio Solv cable (OCC copper/OCC silver mix) and I noticed a small difference with the voicing of the headphone. It sounds closer to the HE560 now, with a little more detail and a little sharper focus to the music. I'm not sure if the cable change makes any difference to the soundstage or not. If I were to do the comparisons again, my findings may change a bit.]

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2018 at 12:30 AM Post #1,129 of 2,669
Alright, I have listened to this puppy for the last 6 hours straight. I just got my Amiron Home today. I have created the following EQ set for this headphone. It literally takes this headphone to the next level in sound quality. The Amiron responds shockingly well to being equalized. Feel free to give this a try. It removes the midbass bloat, and brings up the dip across the mids perfectly. I think people will be impressed with the sound quality improvement. This is a fantastic headphone.

Edit: After a good 15 hours of burn in, my EQ has been updated. IMO, this EQ set makes this headphone sound amazing.

Edit 2: After what must be at least 30-35 hours of burn in, the sound of this headphone has really come into its own. The mid bass bump that the stock headphone had out of the box has also become less pronounced. It is still there, but it has certainly toned itself down a bit. As a result, I have updated the EQ once again. This should be the last time.

Pre-Amplifying: - 2

50Hz: + 0.5
63Hz: + 0.5
80Hz: - 0.5
100Hz: - 1
125Hz: - 1
160Hz: - 1
200Hz: - 1
250Hz: - 1
315Hz: - 1
1kHz: + 0.5
1.25kHz: + 1
1.6kHz: + 1
2kHz: + 1
2.5kHz: + 1
3.15kHz: + 1
4kHz: + 1.5
5kHz: + 0.5
8kHz: - 0.5

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #1,130 of 2,669
Alright, I have listened to this puppy for the last 6 hours straight. I just got my Amiron Home today. I have created the following EQ set for this headphone. It literally takes this headphone to the next level in sound quality. The Amiron responds shockingly well to being equalized. Feel free to give this a try. It removes the midbass bloat, and brings up the dip across the mids perfectly. I think people will be impressed with the sound quality improvement. This is a fantastic headphone.

Pre-Amplifying: -4

100Hz: - 2
125Hz: - 2
160Hz: - 2
200Hz: - 2
250Hz: - 1.5
1kHz: + 1
1.25kHz: + 1.5
1.6kHz: + 1.5
2kHz: + 1.5
2.5kHz: + 1
3.15kHz: + 1.5
4kHz: + 2.5
5kHz: + 0.5
8kHz: + 0.5

If you like EQing, you should try a parametric equalizer.
There's a slight learning curve but there's much more freedom to achieve a precise equalization.

Feb 22, 2018 at 7:41 AM Post #1,131 of 2,669
OK, after reading a lot I always end up here lol. I've searched in multiple threads and forums and seems that the Amiron is the best choice for my multiple scenarios (movies, games, music) if I use mixed quality sources from lossy game soundtracks to lossless movie soundtracks. Great soundstage, easy to listen for hours etc and the price is reasonable. I think I won't overthink it and pick this during the spring. Hopefully the M50x will be still listenable after the Amiron because I want to keep that one too for mobile usage.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #1,132 of 2,669
OK, after reading a lot I always end up here lol. I've searched in multiple threads and forums and seems that the Amiron is the best choice for my multiple scenarios (movies, games, music) if I use mixed quality sources from lossy game soundtracks to lossless movie soundtracks. Great soundstage, easy to listen for hours etc and the price is reasonable. I think I won't overthink it and pick this during the spring. Hopefully the M50x will be still listenable after the Amiron because I want to keep that one too for mobile usage.
What is your power source? While they will sound very good out of DAPs and what not, they do sound much better when there is power behind them.

Feb 22, 2018 at 11:33 PM Post #1,136 of 2,669
I am absolutely loving this headphone. Wow, what an upgrade from my previous K712 Pro.
A lot smoother and more full, right? I used to have the 7xx, those were lacking so much bass I couldn't stand them

Feb 23, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #1,137 of 2,669
The K712 Pro has much better bass response and extension than the K7XX. However, the Amiron is just on another level completely in terms of sound quality, including bass capabilities, compared to both the AKG headphones. There is no comparison.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2018 at 12:31 AM Post #1,139 of 2,669
I've gotta say, switching the cable on my Amiron Home from a Norne Draug 3 (OCC copper) to a Norne Solv (OCC copper/silver mix) made a big difference in the sound. It's more focused, has better definition, and possibly(?) has a little bit better soundstage. Better synergy with the copper/silver mix.

Feb 24, 2018 at 4:27 AM Post #1,140 of 2,669
After another night of listening to a few albums, I am just blown away by my Amiron Home. This is the best headphone I have ever owned to date. I will say as well that, indeed, that updated EQ I created is perfect for me on this headphone. Also, the comfort of the Amiron, even with glasses, is outstanding. In fact, this is the most comfortable headphone I have ever worn. It is even more comfortable than the K712 Pro was, and that headphone was amazing in the comfort department. This is definitely it for me for open back headphones. I see no reason to go any further up in price than this. This is the perfect headphone to stop at, as it is right at the point before diminishing returns will really kick in. Finally, it "only" took 600 US to find my end game open back. Here I assumed I would end up having to hit over 1000 bucks to ever be completely satisfied. I hope everyone is as impressed with their pair as I am with mine.

Pre-Amplifying: - 2

50Hz: + 0.5
63Hz: + 0.5
80Hz: - 0.5
100Hz: - 1
125Hz: - 1
160Hz: - 1
200Hz: - 1
250Hz: - 1
315Hz: - 1
1kHz: + 0.5
1.25kHz: + 1