Beyerdynamic A200P High-End Portable DAC
Apr 11, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #31 of 154
  The stock Google ]Nexus 5 doesn't have a native USB audio feature.
You should test using the USB Audio Player PRO app which includes its own USB audio soft-driver.
There is a free trial version.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/4245#post_10319960
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/4410
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3XYy1FuzDUea3U3aTJ1RkpQdW8/edit?pli=1

Hey I've tried the player and it works, it doesn't use the remote buttons though, (I haven't checked all the options yet) but it's a big step forward anyway... now I'm kinda regretting of having the 16 gb n5 and not the 32, and btw, the a200p gives a lot of body to the music, compared to the n5 output, this little thing can really make my srh840 sing

Apr 14, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #34 of 154
If I understand well, the Amp does not work with all Apple products?Only the iPhone 5, IPad and iPod touch?No issue yet for me as I still use an Android phone and tablet, but this might Change in the near future. Maybe to early but anyone know how this amp compare to the FiiO E18 ?

Apr 14, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #35 of 154
  If I understand well, the Amp does not work with all Apple products?Only the iPhone 5, IPad and iPod touch?No issue yet for me as I still use an Android phone and tablet, but this might Change in the near future. Maybe to early but anyone know how this amp compare to the FiiO E18 ?

Stay tuned.  I just received A200p review loaner, and will write my impressions soon, including comparison to E18.  So far, I just did a brief testing with my Note 2 and it works great, including transport control.  Also, plugged it into my Win7 laptop, and it got recognized right away.  Need to spend a bit more time analyzing sound quality.

A teaser:

Apr 15, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #37 of 154
  Thx,looking Forward to read your Review, in the meanwhile I will wait to order, because if the FiiO E18 Comes Close, it could be the best deal at almost half the Price.

Though don't have the review yet (coming soon with a lot of pictures), just from a quick a/b comparison between A200p and E18

- using as usb dac connected to my laptop (Win7 ThinkPad), both improve the sound significantly, like lifting a veil where you get a lot more details, wider soundstage, better extension of lows and highs, and more clarity in upper mids (benefit the vocals)
- using both with my Note 2, the improvement in sound is not as drastic, but still noticeable with sound being more detailed.
- both have transport control to play/pause and skip next/prev that works with a phone and also Windows media player.

So the final decision really comes down to their differences.  Due to a different set of DACs and overall footprint - they will have a different sound signature.  A200p sounds more neutral and colder (digital) while E18 is warmer.  I mentioned footprint because A200p is TINY and obviously can't fit big filtering caps like in E18.  Strangely, while being significantly larger, E18 is more appropriate for use with a smartphone because you can piggyback it with a phone using rubber bands.  A matchbox size A200p is more convenient to use as a laptop external usb dac with a quick access to a volume dial.  IMHO, A200p would not be easy to attach to your smartphone for a portable use, unless you get very creative.  Another big difference, E18 doesn't recommend to drive any headphones beyond 150 ohm and output power is not that high.  In comparison, A200p is a little monster being able to drive up to 600 ohm with output level of 1.7 Vrms, so you can drive any top audiophile headphones (something you won't be able with E18).

So to be honest, it's not really about which one is better, but rather which one will fit your every day use better.  Also keep in mind, A200p is a re-branded and improved Astell & Kern AK10 which Beyer sells for $33 less.

Apr 15, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #38 of 154
I know it is original an AK10,but I don't mind the tag to much.the E18 however is for Android Devices only and with the A200p,yoy can use both Android and Apple devices.Did you always used the Dac with Both devices? I listen mainly with sennheiser Ie80, but ok, I wait for your complete review.

Apr 16, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #39 of 154
My full A200p review is posted here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2720138

For your enjoyment, I will post the pictures below:

Apr 16, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #40 of 154
Btw, I just got an update from Beyerdynamic (USA), next month they will be releasing 30 pin cable for A200p.  Good news for those with iPod classic, iPhone 4, and older iPads!!!

Apr 16, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #41 of 154
  Btw, I just got an update from Beyerdynamic (USA), next month they will be releasing 30 pin cable for A200p.  Good news for those with iPod classic, iPhone 4, and older iPads!!!

Really good to hear...it would be great to pair this with my last 30pin iDevice (iPod Classic). Thanks for the update!

Apr 16, 2014 at 11:08 PM Post #42 of 154
That is welcome news on the 30 pin cable. I too have a 160 GB iPod classic loaded with ALAC files. Right now I'm using my iPad and iPhone 5s using home sharing to stream lossless files to the A200p. Outside home I'm using either Audiotap or Plex with my 5s & A200p. But neither is a perfect solution because Audiotap maxes out at 320 unless you have a wifi connection and I can't get the Plex app to shuffle songs. In addition for any lossless streaming LTE or wifi is required. I suppose i could transfer music to my phone but 32 GB seems small compared to my 160 GB Classic especially with lossless files. Peter Carini at BD North America told me in an email that he would let me know once the 30 pin cable has been released. Mr. Carini has always been extremely helpful and responsive in the past whenever I have had a product question. I will post here as soon as I learn anything.

Apr 17, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #44 of 154
Btw, just to clarify, 30pin cable for A200p will be sold as an add-on accessory directly from Beyerdynamic (I assume internationally, not just US).  The lightning connector for newer iDevices as well as micro-USB connector for Android phones comes standard with A200p.

Apr 17, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #45 of 154
  A really great Job, Twister,thx so much.It seems that the Beyerdynamic is the most flexible unlike the E18 who is for Android devices only.

That is correct.  A200p will support digital output from either Apple or Android devices, while E18 only supports Android devices and for Apple you have to get another 30pin to 3.5mm adapter to go into Line In of E18.  Also, as I mentioned before, E18 will not be able to support high impedance headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back