beyerdynamic A 20 amp
Mar 2, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #61 of 77
  What do you think about using two outputs simultanously to make a headphones balanced? I mean each jack output to each cup of headphones?

Just using two cables won't give you anything different... the A20 is a single-ended amp and the two output jacks are in all probability just connected in parallel.
What are you trying to achieve? Balanced in and of itself is not a value per se, its not automatically better (especially not in all possible properties) than single-ended.

Mar 2, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #62 of 77

Just using two cables won't give you anything different... the A20 is a single-ended amp and the two output jacks are in all probability just connected in parallel.
What are you trying to achieve? Balanced in and of itself is not a value per se, its not automatically better (especially not in all possible properties) than single-ended.

I mean to minimize the headphones stereo crosstalk with separated ground wires for each channels.

Mar 2, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #63 of 77

I mean to minimize the headphones stereo crosstalk with separated ground wires for each channels.

I'm quite sure that the two output jacks are connected in parallel, i.e. separate cables would not give you separate ground (there is only one ground anyway in a single-ended amp architecture btw.). I don't think there's anything to gain as there is only one output stage...

Mar 3, 2016 at 1:11 AM Post #64 of 77
How popular is the A2? I know the A1 was popular but the A20 seems to get more buzz. And I found it odd that you can only get a A2 from non prime 3rd party sellers on Amazon. I wanted to get a Beyerdynamic Amp to match with my Beyerdynamic headphones, T70p, T90, T5p and T1. I considered the A20 at first, but I decided to go with the A2 since I could afford it at the time. But now I'm judging that decision. Other than a remote and the ability to select 0 or 100 ohm output what else is the extra $1000 getting me? Should I sell my A2 and buy a cheaper A20?

Apr 15, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #65 of 77
This desktop headphone amp weighs nearly four pounds and is very solidly built, feels just like a solid chunk of metal.  It is obviously not portable and has to be connected to your AC plug anyway. It is a terrific performer driving medium-impedance headphones such as my 250 Ohm Beyerdynamic DT1770 for which it makes a natural partner.  I am using it with a Chord Mojo DAC set to fixed line level (3 volt) output and this configuration offers a highly immersive listening experience with a very dynamic sound and clearly delineated soundstage as it seems to tighten up the sound while preserving micro- and macro-dynamics.  This improvement compared to driving the headphones directly by the DAC is real and obvious but in all honesty not strictly necessary, think of it as icing on the cake – for perfectionists only.  A power rating of only 170mW (when some other brands offer desktop amps with a full watt or two) may seem weak on paper but it absolutely plays loud enough and with extreme authority -- certainly way above what the typical USB or battery-powered  dac/amp can provide.  Highly recommended.

Aug 17, 2016 at 4:58 AM Post #66 of 77
hello Guys , i have a problem with my a20
when i use my A20 with my T90 , whenever i play a heavy video game (something that uses my system resources a lot) i will hear a weird noise coming out of my headphone , this happens even when i turn off the game sound too ! and when i switch to desktop , the noise is gone ! this happens only when i use my A20 , when i plug my T90 directly to my computer this does not happen at all , even at high volume , i even turned off anything in the sound tab in my windows setting , but still i heard the noise ! 

i used my FiiO e10 as a Dac too and connected it to my A20 and my Computer but the problem did not resolve why is this happening ? Reply, Reply All or Forward | More Click to Reply, Reply All or Forward Send

Nov 16, 2016 at 11:08 PM Post #67 of 77
what about dt880 600 with a20?? any ideas for using it at loud levels bassy music reggae electronica etc.

Nov 17, 2016 at 9:10 AM Post #68 of 77
Absolutely perfect combo!  As I mentioned in my review of the DT1770 (250 ohm) it is a match made in heaven, brings out that extra dimension, especially in terms of control and dynamics.  I don't think the higher impedance (600 v 250) will be a problem, I alternate my listening sessions with the Audio-Technica R70x which is 470 and the A20 drives them with no difficulty it all. As a matter of fact, I use -20 dB line attenuators on the inputs to bring down the overall volume to a comfortable level at the 12 o'clock setting.

Nov 17, 2016 at 9:16 AM Post #69 of 77
Could it be the audioplayer software that's competing for system resources?  I have noticed that J River Media Player sometimes misbehaves when too many other programs are active but switching to Foobar helps (or rebooting).

Jan 20, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #70 of 77
Quick question

What is a good DAC before A20 and T90?

I heard Modi 2 Multibit is good. Is that a good combo?

Thanks!

Feb 6, 2017 at 4:36 AM Post #71 of 77
Finally got around to buying the A20 because its on sale at BuyDig.com for $299 after coupon code. Should receive it later this week. Can't wait to try it out and compare it to the G109 that I've been using for a long time now. Mainly interested in how it does with my 250ohm DT880s because those are my go-to cans but I'm also really curious to see how it will do with my 600ohm DT770, HD600, and GMP400.

Feb 6, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #72 of 77
  Finally got around to buying the A20 because its on sale at BuyDig.com for $299 after coupon code. Should receive it later this week. Can't wait to try it out and compare it to the G109 that I've been using for a long time now. Mainly interested in how it does with my 250ohm DT880s because those are my go-to cans but I'm also really curious to see how it will do with my 600ohm DT770, HD600, and GMP400.

You got yourself a terrific deal, practically a steal.  Remember, this is an extremely high-quality product precision-made in Germany, wait until you see the attention to detail in the construction.  Just don't know that they can make a profit at this level .. hope they do because I wish for them to stay in business as I like their products (I have this model and also the DT1770 headset).  I have also benefited enormously from the wonderful customer support team at Beyerdynamic USA.  Well, enjoy!

Feb 6, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #73 of 77
  You got yourself a terrific deal, practically a steal.  Remember, this is an extremely high-quality product precision-made in Germany, wait until you see the attention to detail in the construction.  Just don't know that they can make a profit at this level .. hope they do because I wish for them to stay in business as I like their products (I have this model and also the DT1770 headset).  I have also benefited enormously from the wonderful customer support team at Beyerdynamic USA.  Well, enjoy!

Thanks. I agree, its a really great deal at that price. I've never seen it that low. Really looking forward to using it. I'm hoping to eventually pick up a DT1990 once that model starts (hopefully) getting down under $399 when on sale. The A20 / DT1990 combo should be a good one. We'll see.

May 23, 2020 at 2:05 PM Post #75 of 77
Posted also in the A2 thread... Does anyone have experience with both the A20 and A2 amp that could shed some light on whether the A2 is worth the premium? These amps have been out for quite some time now but comparisons are very hard to find!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back